Java EE 6 From IBM: Come and Download the WebSphere 8 Beta

Discussions

News: Java EE 6 From IBM: Come and Download the WebSphere 8 Beta

1. Interested in checking out IBM's foray into the world of Java EE 6? IBM's flagship 'WebSphere 8' application server is now available for beta downloading; all you need to do is join the preview program.

As of right now, IBM isn't touting complete and total Java EE 6 support for the beta product, as the carefully worded feature list promises "support for portions of key Java™ Enterprise Edition 6.0 specifications." Those key portions include:

• Enterprise JavaBeans 3.1
    • Java Persistence API (JPA) 2.0
    • JavaServer Faces (JSF) 2.0
    • JavaServer Pages (JSP) 2.2
    • Servlet 3.0
    • Java EE Connector Architecture 1.6
    • Contexts and Dependency Injection for Java (CDI)

Check out IBM's beta software program for more details.

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Surprising....[ Go to top ]

You mentioned IBM or WebSphere, and the haters haven't chimed in yet.  That's weird.

3. Indeed[ Go to top ]

It's indeed surprising. Although I personally don't use Websphere, I think this is an important milestone for Java EE and Java EE 6 in general. An often used stick against Java EE 6 is that there is currently only one implementation and that specifically shops that are tied to Websphere can't use Java EE 6. Of course the implied message is than that therefor Spring should be used. For the Java community as a whole it's thus rather important that Websphere too has a Java EE version. I do wonder why IBM with all their engineers always has to be of the last, but at least they announced a beta less than a year after the spec was finalized.

4. JEE6 containers[ Go to top ]

Besides Glassfish, what other containers are currently JEE6 compliant?

5. Surprising....[ Go to top ]

You mentioned IBM or WebSphere, and the haters haven't chimed in yet.  That's weird.

That's because pointing out how painful websphere is as painful as using websphere. At the end, you feel road kill.