Discussions

News: Chrome OS: Lipstick on the Linux Pig

1. Chrome OS: Lipstick on the Linux Pig (11 messages)

The great thing about Google is that where others have failed, they have the power, money and market dominance to fail in a greater and more spectacular fashion.

Once there was Amazon, but Google took them on, with their power, minds and money, and they created something even greater. Of course, you've never heard of it because it was garbage, and was received about as well as a rat pie at a French-Canadian wedding. It was called Frugle, or Friegel or Froogle or something, but nobody can remember, and even attempts to 'Google' it come up empty.

Then there were other triumphs. With all their money, power, and market domination in the search sector, Google destroyed PayPal with their Google Checkout. It continues to be the fastest growing Internet checkout technology. Apparently, two people accidentally used it in 2008, eight people accidentally used it in 2009, over 100 people used it in 2010, and even more are expected to accidentally use it in 2011. The most common feedback on Google Checkout? "I thought I was using PayPal?"

For some reason, people think that just because Google is behind something, they're going to make it work. The sad fact is, when Google is behind something, they're probably going to make it fail.

The viability of Google OS as a threat on the desktop? It's lipstick on a Linux pig that's already been slaughtered and has started to smell. Technically, Chrome OS is undoubtedly great. As far as open source projects go, it's undoubtedly great as well. As far as helping the two or three people that want to 'print in the cloud' goes, it's probably perfect. Will it ever get an install base beyond a few techies that want to play around with something cool when they get bored at the end of their two weeks of holidays? That's highly unlikely.

ChromeOS Is Google's Next Attempt To Redefine Computing

Threaded Messages (11)

2. You are completely missing the point. What Google is doing with ChromeOS is crowdsourcing network computing for the next 10 years. They have learned it from Apple, you see.

They're not very subtle about it either.

3. and that stock Linux runs Java faster than stock Windows on the same hardware, how does this relate to Enterprise Java?

4. and that stock Linux runs Java faster than stock Windows on the same hardware, how does this relate to Enterprise Java?

I submitted some information to TSS that JAX-RS is going to become a full blown MVC stack in Java EE 7.  This is huge news for those of us who don't like JSF.  But instead they are talking about pigs.  Good job TSS!

5. and that stock Linux runs Java faster than stock Windows on the same hardware, how does this relate to Enterprise Java?

I submitted some information to TSS that JAX-RS is going to become a full blown MVC stack in Java EE 7.  This is huge news for those of us who don't like JSF.  But instead they are talking about pigs.  Good job TSS!

Maybe you wrote it poorly?

6. and that stock Linux runs Java faster than stock Windows on the same hardware, how does this relate to Enterprise Java?

Maybe you wrote it poorly?

So the people at TSS get big news about Java EE 7 and they won't post it because they are too lazy to write a paragraph about it?  This is news about 'Enterprise Java' so I don't know why they didn't post it unless they don't care about this site anymore.

7. So the people at TSS get big news about Java EE 7 and they won't post it because they are too lazy to write a paragraph about it?  This is news about 'Enterprise Java' so I don't know why they didn't post it unless they don't care about this site anymore.

Well, let's think about it: maybe they don't see it as "big news." After all, an editor of TSS is still a real, live person, with real, live biases and experiences (and I speak from experience!); maybe the editor sees Spring MVC as being relevant, and another also-ran in the MVC space as NOT being relevant. Honestly, it sounds a bit like "me too" to me, too - so I can understand why, on the surface, gigantic, earth-shaking news like this could be overlooked for the moment.

Seriously: write it up well, or talk to the editor directly (his email address is on the site, eh) and ask about how to write it up, or even maybe you could explain it to him clearly if you can't write it up well enough yourself.

You can't expect people to magically share your point of view - this is why logic and rhetoric is useful even for engineers and computer scientists.

8. Besides, silly, this is the "nothing gets read" period between Christmas and New Year's - maybe Cameron's doing the news a favor by waiting to post it until readers will actually be around. Timing is important, too. You don't release news during the holidays, or on a Friday, you know? (At least, not if you want people to, like, pay attention.)

9. @Joe[ Go to top ]

@Joe

There's alot of truth to what you're saying. I'm trying to look for an entertaining story, or at least an amusing take on a boring story. Hopefully there won't be too many casualties over the next few days. It's slow news right now, and I'm trying to get something moderately amusing for those who are heading over to the site.

As for the MVC release, send me an email and let's think up an angle on the story that's more than just talking about it's release. An angle will get more people interested in it. I'd love to give it the coverage it deserves.

10. On the other hand ...[ Go to top ]

The linked article is even worse than Cameron's troll. At least the reCAPTCHA was really cool, so time was not wasted. Chalerip Graziella .... mmmmm. That's like fusion cuisine, but with words.

11. Coal in your stocking, Cameron?[ Go to top ]

Lotsa negative articles.  Did Santa skip your chimney this year?

12. Hey, with Apple's deprecation of Java on th MacOS and legal action on Android, Java needs to be grateful for the platforms and stewardship it has.

Better pucker up 'cause you may be kissing that "pig."