Discussions

News: Jboss AS6 released: Java EE 6 container from Red Hat

1. JBoss AS6 has been released, giving Red Hat a Java EE 6 container. It's downloadable from this link, at 173 MB; I couldn't get the download page at jboss.org to work for me with Firefox 4.

This is JBoss' flagship product, although why they're announcing it over the Christmas holidays and with very little fanfare is beyond me.

For example, the Planet JBoss announcement is here and has very little information at all for such a major release, while other sites actually show some excitement. The timing's all wrong. It's like they're trying to bury the announcement or something. Bill Burke would never have stood for this when he was at JBoss - he'd have made sure the timing was better and that it got some attention.

Anyway, startup time was pretty good: 26 seconds for the default configuration on my Windows 7 server, and it's JBoss, so it's fairly full featured. I didn't take it for too much of a test drive, but unless they're royally screwed up JBoss, it's probably fine.

I think the lack of fanfare here might mean that JBoss is clueless, or that maybe Java EE doesn't have the luster it used to have. It's passe now?

Release notes

Threaded Messages (20)

2. Jboss AS6 not Java EE 6 certified[ Go to top ]

The lack of any fanfare was indeed a little surprizing to me. I expected a large announcement, but everywhere it was very quiet.

Another surprize was that JBoss choose not to certify JBoss AS 6 for the full Java EE 6 specification. They now officially only support the Java EE 6 web profile, although unofficially they did implement the full stack.

I started a discussion about this over here: http://community.jboss.org/thread/160813

After some initial testing the software does seem pretty solid but the lack of any serious announcements and not certifying for Java EE 6 are a little worrying perhaps.

3. Jboss AS6 not Java EE 6 certified[ Go to top ]

It's probably JBoss' way of saying: this Java EE spec is great and all, but for the love of God, remove this awful EJB2 and Corba from it. Until then, we only certify for profiles that doesn't contain that cr*p.

4. Bill's left JBoss?

5. Bill's left JBoss?

Don't know about that, but he did pass on the care of his famous "Enterprise JavaBeans" book series to Andrew Lee Rubinger.

6. Laugh out Loud Questionable[ Go to top ]

You guys are getting your news from a source that qualifies the latest JBoss AS release as "probably fine".  

Bill did, however, graciously entrust me with the O'Reilly EJB series.  This is orthogonal to our work at JBoss/Red Hat, and the two are not related.  You'll also note that in the same timeframe he'd published "RESTful Java", also from O'Reilly.

S,
    ALR 

7. "probably fine"[ Go to top ]

Well, this was submitted back over the Christmas holidays, when I saw the release had been made. I said it was "probably fine," trying to assume there wasn't anything wrong with it, but I didn't have time to really push it thru its paces. JBoss usually doesn't suck too bad, so I assumed that barring any wierd stuff, it was probably fine. Plus, considering the silence around the release, "probably fine' is a nicer statement than nothing at all. I don't know if Bill Burke is still at JBoss or not, honestly. He probably is. But if he is I do'nt know why he's not looking at the poor resonse to Jboss 6 being released and screaming that it could be done way better. I was trying to do jboss a favor, and instead get insulted for not doing enough on it. Thanks guys.
  8. "probably fine"[ Go to top ]

Well, this was submitted back over the Christmas holidays, when I saw the release had been made. I said it was "probably fine," trying to assume there wasn't anything wrong with it, but I didn't have time to really push it thru its paces. JBoss usually doesn't suck too bad, so I assumed that barring any wierd stuff, it was probably fine. Plus, considering the silence around the release, "probably fine' is a nicer statement than nothing at all. I don't know if Bill Burke is still at JBoss or not, honestly. He probably is. But if he is I do'nt know why he's not looking at the poor resonse to Jboss 6 being released and screaming that it could be done way better. I was trying to do jboss a favor, and instead get insulted for not doing enough on it. Thanks guys.

BTW, a simple email to somebody at Red Hat by you on "Do you want to post something about JBoss 6 on TSS?" would probably have been a better approach.  If you're one of the new editors on TSS, feel free to contact me at bburke at red hat dot com and I'll give you email addresses you can reach if you have questions in the future about press announcements.

9. Bill's left JBoss?

Ya, didn't you hear?  I got fired for insulting Spring on TSS forums...

10. Bill's left JBoss?

No sh*t? Dude!

But let me guess, you were then hired by Rod personally and are now paid to insult JBoss on the TSS forums? Oh, the irony of things...

11. Bill's left JBoss?

No sh*t? Dude!

But let me guess, you were then hired by Rod personally and are now paid to insult JBoss on the TSS forums? Oh, the irony of things...

I thought about saying that too, that I work for SpringSource now, but I don't think anybody would have believed it.

BTW, although it was a big ego booster and thank you, y'all give me way way too much credit.

12. Richard, let's take your positing a line at a time and try to inject some facts into this posting.

"JBoss AS6 has been released, giving Red Hat a Java EE 6 container."

That's right so far.

"It's downloadable from this link, at 173 MB; I couldn't get the download page at jboss.org to work for me with Firefox 4."

I cannot comment about Firefox as it's not a browser I use too much, but if you think there's a problem that is caused at our end then feel free to raise a JIRA and we'll look into it.

"This is JBoss' flagship product, although why they're announcing it over the Christmas holidays and with very little fanfare is beyond me."

JBossAS remains our flagship project in the community. The actual release was Christmas Eve and the main announcement was held off until after Christmas. We did a spread with InfoQ in January  (http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/01/jboss-6-0-GA)

"For example, the Planet JBoss announcement is here and has very little information at all for such a major release, while other sites actually show some excitement."

For a start that JBoss announcement is not *the* announcement. It's from Ales who is one of our core developers and like many of us couldn't pass up an opportunity to blog about the release. But there have been other announcements by the community and the core developers before and after. We're all excited!

"The timing's all wrong. It's like they're trying to bury the announcement or something."

Nope. The release happened just before Christmas and although we wanted to wait until January to really shout about it, we felt it worth letting people know immediately. Imagine what would have happened if we'd delayed the release simply because some folks were on holiday, or we released in December but didn't say anything about it at all. The words "rock" and "hard place" come immediately to mind!

"Bill Burke would never have stood for this when he was at JBoss - he'd have made sure the timing was better and that it got some attention."

Bill is still with JBoss, leading the RESTeasy and REST-* efforts. Not sure where you got your information from, but you should probably double check your sources.

"Anyway, startup time was pretty good: 26 seconds for the default configuration on my Windows 7 server, and it's JBoss, so it's fairly full featured. I didn't take it for too much of a test drive, but unless they're royally screwed up JBoss, it's probably fine."

"I think the lack of fanfare here might mean that JBoss is clueless, or that maybe Java EE doesn't have the luster it used to have. It's passe now?"

No, no and no. That's three strikes (at least) I think ;-)

13. Thanks to the team for reminding me of some of the other announcements we've made.

http://community.jboss.org/blogs/donnamishelly/2011/01/04/jboss-application-server-6-goes-final

http://dandreadis.blogspot.com/2011/01/introducing-brand-new-jboss-as-60.html

http://blog.softwhere.org/archives/1050

http://community.jboss.org/blogs/mark.little/2010/12/24/jbossas-600-goes-final

14. A spotlight was posted on the jboss.org homepage early last week pointing to the download of AS6 and you can download some nifty desktop wallpapers for AS6.

https://www.jboss.org/coolstuff/desktopwallpapers/jbossas6.html

15. A spotlight was posted on the jboss.org homepage early last week pointing to the download of AS6 and you can download some nifty desktop wallpapers for AS6.

https://www.jboss.org/coolstuff/desktopwallpapers/jbossas6.html

16. Too bad they didn't fix this bug (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBMDR-73)! Now we have to wait till... :(

17. Bringing To Light The Release[ Go to top ]

I just wanted to say that this story was intentionally held until early January, purely with the intention of giving the release of JBoss AS6 greater coverage in the community. Given, Richard tends to submit some edgy posts to TSS, but I didn't get the impression that it was disparaging to JBoss; instead, I thought it brought up the point that you'd think a release like this should have had greater prominence.

TSS has always been a fan of JBoss and their application server, and we're an even bigger fan of Bill.

18. Bringing To Light The Release[ Go to top ]

I just wanted to say that this story was intentionally held until early January, purely with the intention of giving the release of JBoss AS6 greater coverage in the community. Given, Richard tends to submit some edgy posts to TSS, but I didn't get the impression that it was disparaging to JBoss; instead, I thought it brought up the point that you'd think a release like this should have had greater prominence.

TSS has always been a fan of JBoss and their application server, and we're an even bigger fan of Bill.

I said the same thing to Richard privately, but this post was no favor to us.  Instead of just stating "Hey JBoss 6 is out!  Boots up in 26 seconds, seems solid enough but i didn' thave enough to to dive into it...", he went on to speculate how clueless we might be, how passe Java EE is, that JBoss is "probably fine" if we didn't of course screw it up, and even speculated on my employment situation (with me getting private emails "You quit JBoss bill?")

The fact of the matter is, JBoss is an open source project, which mean s alot of open design and management discussions.  Our devs busted their balls to get it done by the new year, released like on Christmas Eve.  While some got the word out through their blogs, the holidays sort of put a crimp in things.  There are plenty of times over the years when I've finished something, and not PR'd about it until the time was right.  Making noise over Christmas holidays is probably not the best time to make such noise...

Still Chris, it concerns me that TSS even let such a post be put on your website.  Its one thing to have an edgy post questioning how we're positioning JBoss 6 (the first post by arajan was a good example of this), but another to just post blatant speculation and call it news.  Do you have no safeguards or checks and balances?  Or can pretty much anybody post anything?

19. Bringing To Light The Release[ Go to top ]

Heh. Well, I sympathize, sort of, but honestly... JBoss could have taken the bull by the horns if it cared so much. It's weird - you want checks and balances to protect you from what some wonk posts, but you could have posted it yourself - it's not like you didn't have, what, three weeks to do it in?

If you want control, sometimes you have to take it - sites like TSS are community-driven. I don't know if the poster gets special privileges you don't - did you post something that got ditched in favor of this posting?

I'd think with all the emphasis you guys put on TSS these days it wouldn't matter to you what anyone said. :)

20. 2 interesting points:

- The full EE6 compliant JBoss EAP 6 (scheduled late 2011) will not be based on JBoss AS6, it will be based on JBoss AS7 (scheduled May 2011).

- The completion of the documentation for JBoss AS6 was shifted to AS6.01 (scheduled March 2011).

21. We got EJBCA complianyt with JBoss 6 with a little work. There are some things quite different from JBoss 5 to a little work was needed. All in all JBoss 6 feels better than JBoss 5. It's just the annoying JBAS-7882 left unfixed...

Detail of the porting issues for us can be found at https://jira.primekey.se/browse/ECA-1511.