Discussions

News: Is Ruby on Rails? Well it's not on NetBeans anymore.

1. It looks like NetBeans is no longer interested in supporting the Ruby on Rails community. There won't be any Ruby on Rails in their version 7 release. So what does this mean? Well, it means there's definitely an opening for a competing toolset, or as the JavaRanch Bartender Marc Peabody tweeted: "The NetBeans is dead. All hail @JetBrains!"

Here's the update from the NetBeans wiki page.

"Where is Ruby on Rails Support in the NetBeans IDE?

As of NetBeans 7.0, the Ruby on Rails module is no longer included in the NetBeans IDE. See Community Message. 

What options are there for developing with Ruby on Rails?

Developers who still want to use Ruby on Rails functionality in the IDE can do so with NetBeans IDE 6.9.1 or earlier versions of the IDE. 

I'm a big fan of Ruby support in the NetBeans IDE; will support return in the future?

Due to limited engineering resources, no further development and support for Ruby on Rails is planned. 

However, we strongly encourage our community of NetBeans Ruby users and developers to volunteer to take on development of Ruby on Rails support for the NetBeans IDE. 

If you're interested in helping to maintain Ruby on Rails functionality for the NetBeans IDE, please sign up on the NetBeans Ruby developers mailing alias: dev at ruby dot netbeans dot org, or contact the NetBeans team

Thank you.
    The NetBeans Team"

2. I welcome the decision. For long Netbeans has tried to be everything for everybody and in the process, spent lesser engineering resources and its core Java EE abilities have sufferred. Its time to rein in, take a hard look and let go of the accessories in the IDE and appeal to its core clientele. That is a wise business decision made not by the heart but with the brains. (Not Jet brains, but regular human brains :-D ) 

3. Agreed. And im wondering what was Netbeans market share in the RoR IDE world.

Mathieu Fortin

http://simpleadn.blogspot.com

4. I so much agree to this. Netbeans was a Java IDE that tried to become a platform, a C++ IDE, a PHP IDE, RoR... etc etc...

Meanwhile Java EE support is far from perfect. Eclipse isn't that much better to be honest, but at least let's make sure Netbeans is first and foremost a Java (EE) IDE.

5. I agree with the other posters here...Netbeans should focus on being the best Java IDE out there.  I doubt that there were many RoR devs using Netbeans anyway.

Moving forward, I hope the netbeans team puts more effort into fixing bugs.  There are still a number of critical, show stopper bugs related to file locking on windows.  Eclipse has never had these kind of file locking issues, so I know they can be fixed.

6. RoR on Netbeans[ Go to top ]

It looks like NetBeans is no longer interested in supporting the Ruby on Rails community. There won't be any Ruby on Rails in their version 7 release. So what does this mean? Well, it means there's definitely an opening for a competing toolset, or as the JavaRanch Bartender Marc Peabody tweeted: "The NetBeans is dead. All hail @JetBrains!"

Here's the update from the NetBeans wiki page.

"Where is Ruby on Rails Support in the NetBeans IDE?

As of NetBeans 7.0, the Ruby on Rails module is no longer included in the NetBeans IDE. See Community Message. 

What options are there for developing with Ruby on Rails?

Developers who still want to use Ruby on Rails functionality in the IDE can do so with NetBeans IDE 6.9.1 or earlier versions of the IDE. 

I'm a big fan of Ruby support in the NetBeans IDE; will support return in the future?

Due to limited engineering resources, no further development and support for Ruby on Rails is planned. 

However, we strongly encourage our community of NetBeans Ruby users and developers to volunteer to take on development of Ruby on Rails support for the NetBeans IDE. 

If you're interested in helping to maintain Ruby on Rails functionality for the NetBeans IDE, please sign up on the NetBeans Ruby developers mailing alias: dev at ruby dot netbeans dot org, or contact the NetBeans team

Thank you.
    The NetBeans Team"

I believe this effort was made because of RoR being a trend back in the days, however, the very foundation of Netbeans is Java, hence, more support for Java Related Technologies should be expected, improving JEE, and Groovy (which is a terrific Language) not leaving alonge Grails (greate Groovy Framework) and Griffon (Grails like framework to develop Desktop Apps), as well as giving support to Vaadin, GWT, and the like.

Agreed completely on the move ... however, I expect not to see PHP dropped in the next release.

7. Accredited Online Colleges[ Go to top ]

hey it's very nice ruby rails, it's using very simple...

http://www.onlinetopcolleges.com/

8. As a developer I support Ruby on Rails. RoR offers numerous features that make the framework one of the most opted Ruby application development frameworks in the world. One of the most attractive features of RoR is that it simplifies coding thus allowing web developers to build apps easier and faster.

Thanks

ROR Developers