During development and testing, we often need to check our application log files. Traditionally – at least for me – its been  a real hassle getting access to those logs. Not just the permissions problems, but remembering where they all are, and SSHing and CDing etc. Even though I don’t do it often, when I need to do it – I want it to be easy.

I’ve always wanted an application that would just let me click to view a log file – no server logins, no permissions problems, no having to remember where the logs are. So I built vsConsole.

vsConsole lets you view and tail log files on remote servers. You can see it in action here. vsConsole is a java web application – deployed to Tomcat. It communicates with vsAgent installations on the remote servers (vsAgent is a java application which is configured to expose certain files). Now when you want to view a log file, you can easily go to vsConsole, select the server you are interested in – and then select the log file you want to view. Its that easy.

If this sounds useful to you, please check out the demo. If the demo looks good, download it and see if it works for you – documentation on installing and using can be found here. Let me know how it goes.