Discussions

News: Red Hat OpenShift: Freedom of Choice

1. Red Hat OpenShift: Freedom of Choice (3 messages)

After we finished writing the post on VMware Cloud Foundry platform, it seemed natural to write a follow-up on Red Hat OpenShift. OpenShift is a Java-based Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) offering from Red Hat, the ‘giant’ of Open Source Software with a well-deserved reputation that comes from a wide range of products including operating systems (Fedora, Red Hat Enterprise Linux), application servers / middleware (JBoss AS, JBoss ESB), frameworks (Hibernate, Seam) and tools (JBoss Tools, Arquillian).

As a PaaS offering, the ultimate goal of OpenShift is to reduce the effort needed to write and deploy highly scalable and highly available Java applications. Under your dedicated “application space” the platform components run to ensure your application is able to respond to user’s requests, but isolating your application code from the infrastructure and all the complexity usually associated with complex, distributed deployments.

In this post we will show how to start working with OpenShift Express, prepare an existing Java with Spring application and deploy it to the cloud. We will be using Eclipse IDE Java EE bundle on a Windows workstation to work on the application and test it locally, plus OpenShift command-line tools to configure and manage the cloud deployment.

Read the complete article at: http://deors.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/red-hat-openshift/

2. Red Hat OpenShift: Freedom of Choice[ Go to top ]

OpenShift is really impressive. It's the quickest way to get started with Java EE 6, with or without Spring/Seam. The decision to have full support for relational databases was especially smart.

I hope Oracle and IBM are taking note.

3. Red Hat OpenShift: Freedom of Choice[ Go to top ]

I agree, and it's one of the reasons why I used that title. My impression, from the distance, is that while other platforms are taking decisions that impose constraints on what (and how) you execute there, openshift is more open to all kinds of Java enterprise styles. Cloud Foundry, linking with my previous article, is also quite open although I miss there support for Java EE 6 web profile - although it's not my personal election, ir would be possitive to have as much elections as possible.

4. Red Hat OpenShift: Freedom of Choice[ Go to top ]

I wonder how do they solve the permgen space issue on multiple deploy...do they restart the application server every time?