Discussions

News: When did Gradle get so hot? This and other peculiar Java trends

1. Got a chance to chat last week with Oliver White (@TheOTown), the Head of RebelLabs at ZeroTurnaround, about their latest Java Tools and Technologies survey. There are always a few interesting tidbits to chew on whenever a survey of any sample size gets released, but the big surprise for me was the surging interest in Gradle. It seems like all of those DevOps people are thinking that building their applications might be a lot more fun if they started playing with a build tool that is largely Groovy based.

Of course, Maven is still the most popular build tool in use these days, but 58% of respondents said that Gradle was the one product they were most interested in learning more about. Really? DevOps professionals interested in learning how to do builds with Groovy based DSLs? That’s encouraging.

Here’s a little write up of the interview between White and TheServerSide. It’s interesting to hear White’s take on what is trending in the industry and why.

When did Gradle get so hot? A look at what is trending on the Java tools landscape

By the way, ZeroTurnaround donated 50 cents to Child’s Play, a charity that provides entertainment to kids in children’s hospitals, so the next time you see one of their surveys, give it a go. You’ll not only be providing feedback to the community, but you’ll also be helping out a good cause.

Follow Cameron McKenzie on Twitter, @potemcam. Follow ZeroTurnaround's Oliver White (@TheOTown) as well. 

Edited by: Cameron McKenzie on Jun 11, 2014 10:19 AM
  2. I'd say it's a long mental jump from "an overwhelming 58% of respondents said Gradle was the built tool about which they wanted to learn more" to "Gradle is hot". It's certainly hot in usage as far as Android is concerned, but otherwise I'd say -since it's the newest build tool around- that it's natural that it should also be the one people know least about (and thus want to know about most). When (and whether) that translates to a similar share in usage remains to be seen.