THE PROJECT

I am currently working with an experienced software engineering team building an exciting product prototype that I hope to talk more about at some point later in the year when the project starts to take shape. My initial assignment with the team involves reviewing some of the early technology choices made in a proof of concept implementation, in terms of performance and scalability, as the deployed system needs to sense, reason and respond to vast amounts of data in real-time. One of the first project dependencies I looked at was Reactor, a project that originated at SpringSource and is now maintained by engineers working at Pivotal.

Here is the summary description of the project pulled straight from the Github repository.
“Reactor is a foundational library building for reactive fast data applications on the JVM.It provides abstractions for Java, Groovy and other JVM languages to makebuilding event and data-driven applications easier. It’s also really fast.”

BENCHMARK

The Reactor project has a benchmark sub-project based on the OpenJDK JMH tool.  JMH is a Java harness for building, running, and analyzing nano/micro/milli/macro benchmarks written in Java and other languages targeting the JVM.

....................................................................................................................................................

In the rest of the article I explore the reporting capabilities of JMH and some of the challenges in measuring extremely low latency and very high frequency code execution.

http://www.autoletics.com/posts/an-allocation-reaction-within-reactor