A short excerpt:
JasperReports' reports are defined in XML files, which by convention have an extension of jrxml. A typical jrxml file contains the following elements:
All of the elements are optional, except for the root jasperReport element.
- <jasperReport> - the root element.
- <title> - its contents are printed only once at the beginning of the report
- <pageHeader> - its contents are printed at the beginning of every page in the report.
- <detail> - contains the body of the report.
- <pageFooter> - its contents are printed at the bottom of every page in the report.
- <band> - defines a report section, all of the above elements contain a band element as its only child element.