modeling tool

Discussions

General J2EE: modeling tool

1. modeling tool (5 messages)

Can anyone recommend UML modeling tools that they have used and liked? Rose is somewhat expensive and I'm wondering if there is an inexpensive alternative even with 70% of Rose's capabilities.

Thanks in advance

Threaded Messages (5)

2. modeling tool[ Go to top ]

I used argoUML for a while. Not too bad.

Peter
  3. modeling tool[ Go to top ]

I've been playing around a bit with MagicDraw and it seems pretty good. You can download a demo for free from
    www.magicdraw.com

/Jöns
  4. modeling tool[ Go to top ]

I've been using MagicDraw 5.0 as well, the professional edition is pretty good. Its certainly nothing like an integrated development environment like Together, but for straight UML modelling I prefer it to rose - rose isn't as UML compliant as I'd like.
    other pluses:
    The reporting is excellent, and XSL driven, so customisation is easy. I actually prefer MagicDraw's reports to those of together.
    Can deal with DDL, so you can roundtrip engineer SQL with stereotyped class diagrams (doesn't have a specific ERD though - although not part of the UML, it would've been nice :)) and extract schema from an existing database via JDBC.
    Complete support for UML 1.3, unlike rose.
    The roundtrip-engineering doesn't introduce anything 'extra' into your source.

minuses:
    The diagramming has the odd bug, as does the code reversing, and the auto-layout should be avoided at all costs!
    Reporting is slooooow.
    I like how the round-trip engineering works (its manual, so the model and source don't update unless specifically told to), but you have to manage Code Engineering Sets, which can be a bit of a pain with lots of code.

I use MagicDraw daily, and its flawed in places, while others are excellent, especially for the price. But its not a patch on Together (is anything?). PoseidonUml (http://www.gentleware.com/products/index.php3) is pretty good, and probably MagicDraw's nearest rival for price. I just think MagicDraw beats it on the features that I use daily.
  5. modeling tool[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the recommendations. Great info. Thanks again.

6. modeling tool[ Go to top ]

suprisingly micrsoft visio2002 is pretty good. it has support for uml templates and is fairly fast.

rational sux.