Calling Remote interface from client

Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: Calling Remote interface from client

1. Calling Remote interface from client (3 messages)

Hi there!
    I am working on a BMP (using weblogic 6.1)
    My problem is - How do I contact remote interface from client. In my jndi tree I have mentioned only Home interface. Right now I am calling my remote interface like this:
    //contact home interface
    Object obj = ctx.lookup("APIHome");
    APIHome home = (APIHome) javax.rmi.PortableRemoteObject.narrow(obj, APIHome.class);

//creating remote somehow - I got this clue from a website
    rem = home.findByPrimaryKey(new EntityPK("test1","test2"));

//calling getter & setter methods
    rem.setWidth()
    rem.getId();

This works...but doesn't make any sense to me. Why should we initialize remote interface as above. Or is there any other option. Can somebody please explain me more clearly about this concept.

Thanks very much

regards
    -Manasvi
  2. Hi
    You can also call create method of Home interface to get a reference of Remote Interface.

APIRemote = home.create();

& then u can call methods defined in RemoteInterface

APIRemote.getWidth();

I hope this will help to clear your doubt.
    create method in home interface always gives the reference of RemoteInterface using Factory pattern.
  3. Hi
    In continuation to my previous reply, I would like to add one more point.
    Suppose u don't want to allow your client to insert a record in DB, in that case, u will not call
    home.create() method.
    In this particular case, the method u r using is the only way to get a reference of Remote Interface.

Object obj = ctx.lookup("APIHome");
    APIHome home = (APIHome) javax.rmi.PortableRemoteObject.narrow(obj, APIHome.class);

//creating remote somehow - I got this clue from a website
    rem = home.findByPrimaryKey(new EntityPK("test1","test2"));

//calling getter & setter methods
    rem.setWidth()
    rem.getId();

I hope this explanation will help.
  4. The quick answer to the question "How do I contact remote interface from client" is "You don't, directly". You have to do it in some method similar to what you have in the sample code.

EJBs have home and remote interfaces. The remote interface has all the business methods in it, like the getter and setter methods you mention. But it doesn't have the lifecycle methods to do things like create a new bean, or delete one you don't need anymore. The home interface has these. So, in order to create/delete/retrieve beans, you get the home interface first, which then hands you a remote interface.

I definitely would advise a good book on the topic. Check out Amazon and look up EJB books by either Roman (Mastering Enterprise JavaBeans, 2nd Edition) or Monson-Haefel (Enterprise JavaBeans, 3rd Edition). I think the first has a free PDF format download on this site, as well.

Mark