Using CMR - call for opinions

Discussions

EJB design: Using CMR - call for opinions

1. Using CMR - call for opinions (2 messages)

Hey there - I need opinions on a new system which I am involed in building.

We are building a web-site which involves a lot backend database stuff. It is currently not being constructed with EJB's but I am considering making that happen.

Now, I do not have experience with the new EJB 2.0 feature "Container Managed Relations." What is your experiences involving the use of CMR in production sites? Does it work? Is it worth it? Is it robost?

Thomas

Threaded Messages (2)

2. Using CMR - call for opinions[ Go to top ]

To quote NRA: "Guns don't kill people, people do." It is the hand that wields the tool that decides the quality of the craft.

The question is: can *you*, using CMR, build working software that is also robust? If you take the time to correctly analyse and model the system and you're not stuck with a legacy database or have the option to migrate it to an OID connected mesh that can be correctly mapped to your objects, you possibly can.

BTW, CMR is no longer a "new" feature; at least, not with some app servers... :-)
  3. Using CMR - call for opinions[ Go to top ]

Okay - so what you're saying is that CMR is best used when you do a clean OO design to begin with.

See the approach we have been taking so far has been to make a traditional relation database modelling of our problem domain. If we do the switch I guess we would have to remodel that part of the project. Not that I would mind that.

By the way, my co-workers *will* kill me if I manage to persuade them into this and it turns out to be one big mess. So i guess NRA is correct. ;-)

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Thomas