How to insert blob in ejb

Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: How to insert blob in ejb

1. How to insert blob in ejb (1 messages)

In pure JDBC such as servlet, I can insert BLOB to Oracle database. However, in ejb such as SLSB or entity bean, I don't know how to insert blob. One thread suggests using byte array. However in oracle thin driver, setBytes() just supports up to 4000 bytes. If I want to use a stream for blob filed, how do I do it?

In jdbc such as servlet, I am using following code to insert blob to database.

-------------------------------------------------------
    In Oracle database, if I want to insert or update LOB, I have to use
    Connection.setAutoCommit(false);
    ResultSet resultSet = Statement.executeQuery("select ... for update");
    Blob blob = resultSet.getBlob();
    OutputStream inputStream = blob.getOutputStream();

Connection.commit();
    --------------------------------------------
    How do I implement the above code in ejb because I can not run any setCommit() or commit() in ejb container? If I use UserTransaction.begin() and UserTransaction.commit() to replace setAutoCommit(false) and commit(), it doesn't work.

Jim
  2. How to insert blob in ejb[ Go to top ]

I think you can use CMP Entity Bean. You need to map the BLOB/CLOB type in the container specific descriptor file, the container will take care of the persistance.

For Weblogic:

<field-map>
    <cmp-field>photo</cmp-field>
    <dbms-column>PICTURE</dbms-column>
    <dbms_column-type>OracleBlob</dbms-column-type>
    </field-map>

URL: http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs70/ejb/cmp.html#1061636

For Oc4j:
    <entity-deployment name="EmployeePicture" data-source="jdbc/OracleDS" table="EMPPIC">
          <primkey-mapping>
            <cmp-field-mapping name="empno" persistence-name="EMPNO" persistence-type="NUMBER(8)"/>
          </primkey-mapping>
          <cmp-field-mapping name="empno" persistence-name="EMPNO" persistence-type="NUMBER(8)"/>
          <cmp-field-mapping name="picture" persistence-name="PICTURE" persistence-type="BLOB"/>
        </entity-deployment>
      </enterprise-beans>

URL: http://otn.oracle.com/tech/java/oc4j/904/how_to/how-to-ejb-cmpblob.zip