With Java 8, API design is definitely more interesting, but also more complex, with additional functional aspects to consider. Lukas Eder of Jooq.org gives us some things to ponder.
In this release, Errai, which leverages several Java EE technologies such as CDI (for dependency injection,) JPA (for offline mode and local storage,) and JAX-RS, for communicating with remote servers and other services, has had a lot of the work go into adding enhancements to its RPC (Remote Procedure Call) mechanism. The framework now has a swanky global exception handler, and RPC on the server...
Stephen Hynes announces new integration for Windows Phone. Read more about how you can now easily set up the Log Appender in your code.
Apart from Lambdas and extension methods, the JDK has also been enhanced with a lot of new library code, e.g. the Streams API and much more. This means that we can critically review our stacks and – to the great joy of Doctor Deprecator – throw out all the garbage that we no longer need.In a post originally published over at jooq.org, Lukas Eder compiles a 'trash' list.
Synchronized sections are kind of like visiting your parents-in-law. You want to be there as little as possible. When it comes to locking the rules are the same – you want to spend the shortest amount of time acquiring the lock and within the critical section, to prevent bottlenecks from forming.
If you are testing your mobile applications the same way you’ve been testing typical web applications, you’re missing a big part of the picture – and your users may be the ones who suffer. Mobile applications don’t perform in the same way as their web-based counterparts. Read on for how to adjust for these differences:...
There is an ongoing debate regarding TDD in programmer community. DDH, the well known author of RoR claimed that TDD and more specific Unit Test is not worth writing at all. Instead, developers should write more integration test. In this article, I represent my own view on tight-coupling to framework is the root cause of this problem.
Recently, Israeli-based Artifactory providers JFrog announced full support for on-premise and cloud-based npm repositories within their popular third-party library and binaries manager. With this latest update, Artifactory has become the first private npm registry and proxy for the extremely popular node.js framework.
Our lessons learned after the last deployment: A) Always check if you have the latest version of all your deployment assets and B) Have a better Web Service Monitoring Strategy! In this blog I summarized the problems we ran into after doing a bad deployment that went unnoticed by our regular monitoring activities, e.g: looking at log files, CPU, Memory, ... - only after people complained we...
Learn how to use Java 8's lambda expressions in this quick getting started guide.
There’s a lot of discussion going on in the software community on “testing”. (See for example here, here and here). We think there’s too many superstitions and assumptions. Very little of this helps in your day-to-day work and leaves you still wondering how you reliably and automatically test, for example, that crazy sql query, your UI or that complex batch job.
Developing a web or mobile application takes a lot of effort, but all that effort can go down the drain quickly if you improperly load test the application or completely skip testing. Load testing applications is important and a necessary step in the pre-production stage. Read on to find out how to get started: http://www.neotys.com/blog/5-essential-tips-when-starting-load-testing/
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Step-by-step guide to Android development with Eclipse (15 Jan 2015) Learn how to create applications in an Android development environment in this guide.
- 10 reasons why HTML5 implementation should happen now (08 Jan 2015) Learn the top 10 reasons why HTML5 implementation should be your next Web development project.
- The 10 most common and avoidable HTML5 mistakes (09 Jan 2015) Learn about the 10 most common and most avoidable HTML5 mistakes and how best to avoid them.
- How to ensure continuous integration leads to continuous improvement (18 Dec 2014) Many organizations employ continuous integration strategies, but beyond simplifying DevOps, CI...
- Four tips to help tell if your continuous integration (CI) process is working (16 Dec 2014) Many organizations have adopted a continuous integration (CI) process. CI promises many benefits,...
- Google's Solve for 'X' program goes into high gear (23 Dec 2014) Solve for 'X' has become an annual Google initiative bringing innovators together to address global...
- Enterprise scale AngularJS: Embracing Agile development in a brand new way (20 Nov 2014) Reporting from Devoxx 2014 in Antwerp, Geertjan Wielenga tells of some of the lessons learned on...
- Devoxx officially kicks off with Spring, Java EE 8, lambdas and value types (13 Nov 2014) As Devoxx 2014 officially kicks off, Geertjan Wielenga is there to tell us exactly what's hot at...
- Reflecting on lambdas, open source software and startup strategies at Devoxx 2014 (12 Nov 2014) Reporting from Devoxx 2014, Geertjan Wielenga gives us all the latest news from Day Two of the...