Static code analysis is a great and cheap way to improve the quality of your code in a sustainable way. But what if you'd look at this part like it was about building future-proof unit tests - whenever you find a code bug you add something that makes sure that this type of bug never appears again - in any of your projects?
At Big Data Techcon 2014, Cloudera’s Jonathan Steidman explained how Hadoop could help the enterprise expand its data infrastructure and access better business intelligence.
New releases of Satoris, Simz and Stenos that now replicate both execution behavior as well as contextual data across time and space.
One of the key new features introduced in Java 8 is parallel array operations. How fast is this thing, and when should I use it?
The humble log has largely been thought of as a data source that is there “just in case” there is a problem. Generally logs have only ever been accessible by the chosen few, who sit in the engine room of the system looking at at log events flying past all day long. However, there is a wealth of information contained in your log data which is useful for use cases beyond debugging or security. Find...
The infamous Oscar selfie of Ellen and other celebs broke a record of 2 million retweets before midnight, March 2, and Twitter came crashing down for a record 20 minutes. And this despite the fact that Twitter built their own Load Testing tool, IAGO in 2012. So why did Twitter build its own tool and what does that have to do with your decision to use homegrown versus vendor load testing tools?...
I wrote this blog to highlight the architectural and performance problems that come with using frameworks without properly configuring them for your use case. The application in question was a customized SharePoint app using Telerik controls. Even though performance was good under normal load conditions we found several architectural issues that most likely bring the SharePoint cluster down under...
The road has been long - two years, seven months and eighteen days, to be precise - but Java 8 is finally a working reality. In this interview, Georges Saab, Vice President of Software Development in the Java Platform Group at Oracle, gives us an insider account of the “conservative” development of what’s been declared “the most significant release of Java in the past 10 years”.
By tracing transactions as they traverse your stack, you can identify root cause and solve the issue. How to find that trace is the big question. Here I'll show you how to insert a unique identifier to trace transactions across multiple tiers and how you can view these events in one uber interface. Read on to learn how:...
Did you know that on an average app there are about 4000 as many Exception objects thrown than log messages written? We analyzed this on an enterprise application and highlight the performance and functional problems that come with having too many Exceptions that nobody is actually aware off.
The Biggest Singularity Event in Java
Yoav Landmand, CTO of Jfrog - the creators of open source repository manager Artifactory and software distribution platform Bintray - shares his expert analysis of Java 8, and how he thinks the next generation of software from Oracle will impact the Javasphere as a whole.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Behavior-driven development: Five tips for keeping BDD projects on track (09 Dec 2014) Many organizations are approaching software design in a new way, with one of the most popular being...
- Going beyond big data processing to achieve big data understanding (04 Dec 2014) Big data solutions have given enterprises the power to handle, manage and process massive amounts...
- From web development to delivery: Deep front end knowledge is a must for 2015 (02 Dec 2014) Web based deliver will be taken to new levels in 2015, as the technology used to deliver content...
- Reflecting on Liferay Portal: From big data to secure mobile delivery (02 Dec 2014) The portal has evolved in a variety of ways, not the least of which is the manner in which it can...
- Seven ways to optimize mobile apps for improved performance (26 Nov 2014) While many organizations have been developing mobile apps for years, making sure those apps are...
- Enterprise scale AngularJS: Embracing Agile development in a brand new way (20 Nov 2014) Reporting from Devoxx 2014 in Antwerp, Geertjan Wielenga tells of some of the lessons learned on...
- Devoxx officially kicks off with Spring, Java EE 8, lambdas and value types (13 Nov 2014) As Devoxx 2014 officially kicks off, Geertjan Wielenga is there to tell us exactly what's hot at...
- Reflecting on lambdas, open source software and startup strategies at Devoxx 2014 (12 Nov 2014) Reporting from Devoxx 2014, Geertjan Wielenga gives us all the latest news from Day Two of the...
- 2013 sweetheart AngularJS takes a back seat to Docker at Devoxx 2014 (11 Nov 2014) While AngularJS was everyone's sweetheart at Devoxx 2013, this year at Devoxx 2014, it appears that...