Feeling a little adventurous? Why not test the limits of the JVM and experiment with a language other than Java? In this report, we play with the new features in Java 8, plus Scala, Groovy, Fantom, Clojure, Ceylon, Kotlin and Xtend, plus add interview questions from the languages' creators/leads that we talked to, including Guillaume Laforge (Groovy), Gavin King (Ceylon), Andrey Breslav (Kotlin),...
EclipseCon is one of the most vibrant event in the software development world and ALM. Come in Boston from 25 to 28 Mars 2013 to attend rich set of good processes and success stories from large companies. Among all the topics, one is a customer case study about "Agile methods & Open Source tools in large enterprise".
In Continuous Delivery each build is potentially shippable. This fact implies among a lot of other things, having a good code quality system tightly integrated with our build tool. In this post we are going to see how to configure Maven and Jenkins for executing static code analysis on second stage of continuous delivery pipeline.
A somewhat controversial but hopefully thought provoking look at performance measurement data recording, relaying and retention in the cloud.
Most of the Java EE 7 APIs are available via Maven already to aid in your exploration and early evaluation efforts.
When benchmarking a snippet of code it is relatively easy to reach to erroneous conclusions. We cover numerous different ways to get it wrong in this post.
We recently worked with a customer in the banking and trading business who had to deal with users complaining about being unable to make trades due to bad performance of our customer’s e-banking system. The first look at the available data made them assume they were under a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack; it almost triggered their emergency procedures including restarts of their...
Progress® OpenEdge® Mobile App Builder product, powered by Exadel’s Tiggzi, now available through Progress to more than 1,500 independent software vendors
ZeroTurnaround launched an Operations Productivity survey (yep, another one!) late February to try to get into the hearts and minds of IT Operations professionals (i.e. Infra engineers, sys admins, release managers, etc.) What we’ve found out so far is a bit weird....
When I ask customers how they deal with performance problems in MapReduce, they often tell me, beyond generic Hadoop tuning they don’t bother. They simply add more hardware, because they cannot have experts spending days or weeks browsing through logs or looking at every job they execute. Now in the case I present here, adding more hardware would not have helped as the existing cluster was well...
JavaOne San Francisco 2012 videos are now on YouTube via the Oracle Learning Portal (OLP). The videos are 100% free for anyone to view. It's really an invaluable set of materials from some of the greatest thought leaders in the Java world.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Goodbye, sysadmins; hello, software developers (02 Dec 2013) As organizations are moving towards cloud computing, sysadmins are losing their relevance in...
- The challenge of balancing BYOD privacy and security (25 Nov 2013) Learn about how vendors are trying to help balance BYOD privacy and security.
- Cloud adopters seek help for their DevOps, app monitoring and cost control problems (18 Nov 2013) As more companies move to the cloud, more and more companies are realizing that expert help,...
- Will upcoming Google Web Designer fix Java pros' Android problem? (21 Oct 2013) Mobile developers are hoping for something a little different in the upcoming Google Web Designer...
- The most exciting new parts of Java EE 7 and Java 8 (06 Nov 2013) Java author Adam Bien discusses business logic and software development in Java 7 and Java 8.
- Solving performance issues with self-adaptive software (24 Oct 2013) In this discussion, Cameron McKenzie and JInspired CTO William Louth talk about the concepts behind...
- Overprovisioning in AWS? Cost-control tools and strategies can help (22 Nov 2013) For organizations that have moved to the cloud, old habits may be costing them dearly as they...
- Oracle OpenWorld 2013: How to get kids involved in coding (23 Sep 2013) Saskia Vermeer-Ooms and Regina ten Bruggencate offer advice on how to get kids interested in...
- How 'big data' solved the content management (CMS) problem (23 Apr 2013) Content management systems that need to sift through huge amounts of data are big data problems in...
- Oracle announces delays in the JDK 8 release schedule (19 Apr 2013) After patching Web browser security issues, the Java Platform Group at Oracle has announced delays...
- Chip Childers - VP of Product Strategy
- Citrix Ready and CumuLogic
- Do you need APIs if you've embraced SOA? (Apigee Europe LTD)
- Data Center & Virtualisation Purchasing Intentions 2013 (ComputerWeekly.com)
- Capgemini and Sogeti - World Quality Report 2013-2014 (Hewlett-Packard Company)
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.