Securing RESTful web services is a challenge in many regards. One approach? OAuth2, a protocol enabling a Client application, often a web application, to act on behalf of a User, but with the User’s permission.
In only her second year of speaking at JavaOne, Trisha Gee has become a fan favorite. If you missed her session at the San Francisco Hilton, you still have a chance to read her debrief about the issues surrounding women in the IT industry, discussing both the challenges they face, along with the benefits they experience by being in the industry.
"One fundamental aspect of OO expressiveness is class definitions in terms of inheritance. Some designers aim for inclusiveness and deep structure; they produce class hierarchies where everything is richly structured in terms of inheritance from carefully constructed base objects. I see a profound mistake in this." -Cameron Laird
With a new JAX-RS distribution of TomEE, Tomcat developers have more options to choose from for fully JavaEE 6 Web Profile certified Tomcat stacks. The release also includes a large number of improvements over the 1.0 released in May.
ZeroTurnaround's COO and President, Alex Laats, tells stories from his 20 years of experience as a high-tech entrepreneur, business operator and team builder about how simply having great technology and seeing market potential on the horizon can quickly become dangerous pitfalls if too many assumptions are made.
OSGi reduces complexity by providing a modular architecture for today's large-scale distributed systems as well as small, embedded applications. Building systems from in-house and off-the-shelf modules significantly reduces complexity and thus development and maintenance expenses. The OSGi programming model realizes the promise of component-based systems. In this article we enter into the world...
We had an application which was slowly dying in our hands. Monitoring indicated that the application has not achieved much after the first 20 minutes of it’s lifetime. For the last 2 hours and 10 minutes it had only served ~2,000 requests as opposed to the 40,000 it managed to crunch during the first 20 minutes. 130x loss in throughput. Something must have gone horribly wrong.
Scott Ambler thinks that many Agile teams are making a common mistake when they do their initial, up front modeling. The mistake? It seems to be all of that up-front modeling they’re doing.
The @osintegrators pushed an interesting article up comparing the deployment steps you need to take to get a war file hosted on a variety of different cloud providers. Mostly screenshots, a quick scroll of the article gives an interesting look at how the different vendors compare.
A review of many of the main resources regarding open source license compliance, shows the situation is quite complex. To help ease the elaborate nature of the material I created a license approval table that outlines the compliance of specific licenses. Analysis of this table open some assertions we discuss in this post, showing we should no longer talk about just GPL, but have to identify...
One of VMware’s Java cloud platform leaders cites several changes – from how apps are consumed and produced to the economic advantages of cloud platforms – as drivers of app architecture change.
Demonstrates the application of adaptive control and local search optimization techniques to performance management of Java/JVM applications.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- JSR-286 development tutorial: Mastering request-response programming (17 May 2013) This portlet programming tutorial shows how the PortletRequest and Portlet Response are used when...
- Two most commonly misconfigured Tomcat performance settings (05 May 2013) Tomcat on the server is different from Tomcat on the desktop, but too many system admins fail to...
- Yale graph DB project uncovers hidden big data trends (05 May 2013) Graphic analysis of big data problems can often uncover hidden trends that might otherwise be...
- Expert insight into building distributed, service oriented systems (03 May 2013) Developing complex service oriented systems is a challenge, but with insight from the author of the...
- Dell Boomi and other integration providers jump on API management (10 May 2013) After several API management firms were acquired elsewhere, Dell Boomi announces their own API...
- Software developers demanding resource based, RESTful APIs (03 May 2013) Software developers are demanding APIs that are delivered in a RESTful, resource based way, and one...
- How 'big data' solved the content management (CMS) problem (23 Apr 2013) Content management systems that need to sift through huge amounts of data are big data problems in...
- Oracle announces delays in the JDK 8 release schedule (19 Apr 2013) After patching Web browser security issues, the Java Platform Group at Oracle has announced delays...
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.