Got a chance to attend Amazon's AWS re:Invent conference last week. It was a great conference, and it was a real contrast compared to a typical Java-centric conference like JavaOne. Of course, a conference like this is a great way to figure out what is 'right in the cloud' and where it's going sideways.
Good news for Hadoop developers who want to use Microsoft Windows OS for their development activities. Finally Apache Hadoop 2.2.0 release officially supports for running Hadoop on Microsoft Windows as well. But the bin distribution of Apache Hadoop 2.2.0 release does not contain some windows native components (like winutils.exe, hadoop.dll etc). As a result, if we try to run Hadoop in windows,...
Need information about all your AWS services, such as EC2, EBS, RDS, CloudWatch, Trusted Advisor*, CloudTrail*, etc, in one place? Do you need to easily correlate resource usage (e.g. high cpu utilization), Trusted Advisor recommendations, infrastructure changes (e.g. starting and stopping instances) and user activity (e.g. user X killed instance Y) with information coming from application log...
ntroducing SAP is a cost that makes everyone very cautious about the return of this investment. Performance problems with SAP delivery can quickly propagate to seriously affect business operations and lead to tedious war room scenarios. End user complaints will usually point towards the SAP team, the SAP team will blame the network, and IT operations team will fight back. But what if the root...
It is always better to get notified as soon as any major issues / exceptions occurred in the Application, instead of manually going thorugh huge logs to find probable exception messages. Apache log4j provides out of the box log Appender (called SMTPAppender) to send email alerts for the log level configured in log4j configuration file.
Oracle has some bold engineers as we discovered tracing a bug triggered by JDK 7u25 -> 7u40 update changing HashMap internals.
Is it really possible to instrument "every line of code" in an application and still obtain measurement data that is of real value?
This latest RebelLabs report builds upon on the popular "The Curious Coders' Java Web Frameworks comparison", which tests, ranks and profiles Spring MVC, Struts, JSF, Wicket, Vaadin, Grails, Play and GWT.
The whole point of using AWS EC2 is the ability to scale quickly and near infinitely, right? The problem is, what happens to all the instrumentation you've set up for your event logging? How does this work for that whole scaling aspect? Sure, you can rerun asetup script every time that you spin up an instance. But here's a better solution for when scaling is achieved by launching new instances...
A look at how DevFest has created a new kind of relevant conference for the Internet age using the recent example of what it was like to attend DevFest Ankara
How Groovy and Grails are helping many developers to adopt the Java EE platform
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- HTML5 tools and semantic elements analyzed and explained (14 Aug 2014) HTML5 is still a bit of a mystery for some developers. In this tip, developers can learn about the...
- The self-service BI proposition: How big data is disrupting business intelligence (09 Aug 2014) Massive amounts of data are being crunched in order to provide business intelligence to managers...
- Aggregating big data from embedded devices is changing the analytics world (09 Aug 2014) With more and more embedded devices being connected to corporate networks, more data than ever is...
- Top 5 Java based tools for capturing business intelligence (BI) (28 Jul 2014) There are many tools out there for working with BI, but here we look at the top five Business...
- Creating pages based on a JSF template: Using the Facelets ui:define tag (20 Jul 2014) What do you do once you've set up a handsome page template using the Facelets functions that come...
- This is where to turn when friends ask you how to program in Java (09 Aug 2014) There are many introductory books about Java on the market, but for anyone who wants to learn to...
- Android: The Next Generation (13 Jul 2014) Google continues to invest in and improve their flagship mobile operating system, and the latest...
- From Tango to the NDK: Further exploration of the Google I/O exhibitors hall (03 Jul 2014) Be it previews of products like Tango which create 3D images of your surrounding, to demonstrations...
- One way to get (Android) Fit - Touring the exhibit hall at Google I/O 2014 (03 Jul 2014) At Google I/O 2014, many new products got honorable mentions during the opening keynotes. But the...
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.