A quick practical intro to using Spring Data Cassandra to cleanly store data in a Cassandra server.
Oracle recently announced that they will be deprecating the Java browser plugin in JDK 9. Java developers certainly aren't upset about the decision. Here are five things software developers won't miss about the Java plugin.
Alongside the issue of opening up access to STEM for would-be-coders, retaining women who are already in the industry is a key problem. Data showing the general exodus from the industry of the girls who grew up to be programmers is in its abundance – but how do you identify potential causes for this attrition? One group of researchers from the Department of Computer Science North Carolina State...
Let's have a look at the CUBA Platform's REST API. After an architectural overview and how it fulfills the REST constraints, you'll see how to interact with it and what the benefits of it are.
Unit testing is a technique that completely replaces debugging, in object-oriented programming. If debugging is required, the design is bad and you should refactor it first, instead of debugging.
In a recent survey on "Going Reactive" by Typesafe, in which over 3000 people participated, we look at the role of Reactive in the adoption of microservices-based architectures, as well as the 8 technologies preferred by respondents building and deploying microservices in production...
Development, Testing, and Operations are pulling together to deliver new projects and updates faster and more efficiently than ever before. Gartner predicts that we’ll see DevOps hit the mainstream as a strategy employed by 25% of Global 2000 organisations next year. DevOps promotes a set of processes and methods for thinking about integration and collaboration between development, testing, and...
Apache Hadoop is an open-source software framework written in Java for distributed storage and distributed processing of very large data sets on computer clusters built from commodity hardware. All the modules in Hadoop are designed with a fundamental assumption that hardware failures are common and should be automatically handled by the framework.
In this post we look at the solutions to the common reasons why a Gradle build might be slow. Doing unnecessary work, not parallelized build, dynamic dependencies resolution are all signs that you can speed up your Gradle build.
Do you love JRebel's class reloading functionality, but hate the price (and their aggressive marketing tactics)? Finally, there is a similar alternative.
Testing multithreaded code is a tough challenge. The first advice that you get when trying to test concurrency is to isolate your concurrent concerns in the code as much as possible. This a general design advice but in this case it’s even more important. Make sure to first properly unit test the logic that is wrapped by the concurrent construct. Otherwise you might spend a long time trying to...
These are the most popular design patterns in object-oriented programming, though some of them are actually anti-patterns, in my opinion
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Excellent programming is about function, not form (11 May 2016) Are language architects, or would-be language architects, doing a disservice to Java by...
- Five tips to improve an offshore team (29 Apr 2016) Using an offshore team can save time and money, but if used ineffectively, they can cost more than...
- Overcome inherent bottlenecks in app lifecycle management (02 May 2016) The software development world is simply too busy to have inefficient ALM. Expert Gerie Owen...
- Make predictive monitoring effective for your organization (10 May 2016) The ability to anticipate an issue with predictive monitoring outweighs the value of performance...
- Backend system integration the new mobile development challenge (14 Apr 2016) While developing a fun UI was once the biggest hurdle facing mobile development teams, the new...
- Moving beyond the virtualization tool with DevOps containers (01 Apr 2016) Virtualization has been a pivotal tool for organizations wanting to simplify both development and...
- Designing Web apps and Web UIs for software developers (08 Apr 2016) Interested in designing Web apps? Here are some UX design tips that will garner them great feedback...
- Improving Web app performance as simple as embracing HTTP/2 (11 Apr 2016) Learn about how the rapidly growing HTTP/2 protocol can improve Web app performance and reduce...
- Lasting impacts of software failure and poor application performance (12 Apr 2016) Customers have a short memory and lots of alternatives, so organizations must ensure that poor...
- Using BackOps to improve software development processes (20 Apr 2016) Learn how BackOps understands different personality types and can improve the software development...