The Enterprise Java Newscast, hosted by Kito D. Mann, Ian Hlavats, and Daniel Hinojosa, is a monthly podcast that covers the latest headlines in the world of enterprise Java development.
The art of software development is being radically transformed by the Agile Development methodology and the DevOps culture. This post will examine one particular challenge of this transformation: keeping QA and Operations in lockstep.
HTML5 local storage allows web applications to store values locally in the browser and can survive the browser session, just like cookies. Unlike cookies that need to be sent with every HTTP request, thereby affecting website performance, local storage data as information is never transferred to the server.
In this article, we talk about the importance of being able to monitor IoT devices in the field. When a large number of devices is being used, and when those devices generate lots of data, a cloud-based solution is preferred for collecting the data, especially if there are different groups of users with different sets of permissions. The Java EE 7 APIs allow you to develop a cloud-based...
Utility classes, even though they look like collections of functions, have nothing to do with functional programming, mostly because they are bags of procedures
This post explained how Codenvy and Tomitribe partnered to create a one-click TomEE environment, which can be accessed directly from the projects GitHub page.
Takipi analyzes code at the JVM level, and doesn’t rely on pulling log files. Start solving problems in production with minimal added CPU and IO overhead.
Log data provides the most granular view into what is happening across your systems, applications, and end users. Logs can show you where the issues are in real-time, and provide a historical trending view over time. Logs give you the whole picture.
In this article we take a look at Java 8 and explain Method References in 5 minutes
Modularity is not a new concept; it has been around for a long time. The term modularity was first coined in the late 1960s by Professor Edsger W. Dijkstra in one of his manuscripts. Unfortunately, the Java platform itself does not have a module system available out of the box. Project Jigsaw is in the works, but it isn’t available for production usage yet. Because we needed a modularity solution...
Wix engineering blog has a great post about how using TDD helps migrating an internal project to be Open Source. "We planned to open source PETRI from day one, but in the interest of development velocity, we developed it as an internal project with our own internal dependencies. Yet we knew that in order to finally break away from those internal dependencies we would need a development...
This post is a quick tutorial to show you just how quickly you can build a Java web app with a complete set authentication and user management features and user interfaces.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- How elegant code can hurt HTML5 performance (29 Apr 2015) Elegant code can lead to cleaner, precise steps. But it can also lead to application performance...
- Failing to integrate security with DevOps? Do so at your own peril (27 Apr 2015) Security is often considered as an afterthought in the software development lifecycle. But...
- Mobile development looks inwards as internal facing apps gain traction (23 Apr 2015) As enterprise moves forward to provide employees with the apps they need for maximum productivity,...
- Improve software quality by paying early attention to application security (21 Apr 2015) There are a number of strategies enterprises are taking to keep security on pace with faster...
- Who are the heroes of the tech world? (15 Apr 2015) TheServerSide has spoken with many up and coming stalwarts in the industry, and what we wanted to...
- Enterprise architects consider using cloud-based IDEs (31 Mar 2015) For many reasons, enterprise architects are now considering cloud-based IDEs as an alternative to a...
- Java 9 promises modularity and new value types (18 Mar 2015) Modularity and new value types could come with Java 9. This could mean improved startup performance...
- Discussing Aerospike at DeveloperWeek 2015 (17 Feb 2015) Aerospike's developer discusses how the NoSQL database recently moved its IP to open source at...
- Working with Node.js at DeveloperWeek 2015 (13 Feb 2015) Developer advocate Jenny Tong discusses coding troublemaking with Node.js at DeveloperWeek 2015.