What are the key requirements to look for when you evaluate a product for an OEM soln? Just say I want to OEM a product with another product - what are the key reqmts that you will look for?
Some of things I would suggest you consider:
1) Silent Install capabilities
2) Command line control to reconfigure/rebuild/redeploy etc. without forcing the "user" of the app to learn the management tools of the app server
3) Documentation and support from the vendor. Do they provide a documented feature set for an OEM solution--- and back it up with their standard support contracts
4) APIs specifically for OEMs to determine what features are licensed, etc. at run time.
5) A vendor that has a standard OEM licensing agreement already in existence.
Of course, I'm a bit biased-- I work for Sybase. Sybase EAServer 4.0 (J2EE 1.3 ready) includes many specific enhancements and features targeted for OEMs. In fact, we have a number of customers that license EAServer an embed it inside of their products.
Manager, Software Engineering
eBusiness Systems Group