Assume I am building a website. My colleague is building a separate website. I want to display content from his website in the context of mine - transparent access to his content.
I see that I will have to do the following:
* Transparently login into his site from mine
* Retrieve content from his site
* Remap all the HREFs to point to my server
* Provide a mechanism to do the reverse mapping (i.e. when one of these modified HREFs is requested, I can determine which resource to request from his site)
* I MAY have to do other massaging of the HTML, if I want to enforce my own look and feel on the site.
* Handle cookies transparently
In other word, act as a browser to his site.
What is the best approach to to solving this?
I was thinking of cutting something myself based on HttpUnit. Then I discovered reverse proxies with iplanet and apache and jigsaw and squid (but I'm not clear how this technique deals with transparent login)
But I know this must be a very well solved problem and I just want to know how other people have gone about this, and their experiences with it.
Many thanks for your thoughts,