Thought Inc. Announces Cocobase 4.0 with EJB 2.0 Support

Discussions

News: Thought Inc. Announces Cocobase 4.0 with EJB 2.0 Support

1. Thought Inc, has announced the release of version 4 of CocoBase Enterprise O/R mapping product. In version 4.0, CocoBase expands its offering with support for EJB 2.0, integration with JSP's and session beans, XML Metadata Interchange, XMI 1.1, UML 1.3, and integration with the major IDE/UML modellers.

Check out http://www.thoughtinc.com/.

Press Release
    -------------------
    San Francisco, CA. January 22, 2002 - THOUGHT Inc., "The Dynamic O/R Mapping Company," announces the exciting, now available, release of version 4 of CocoBase Enterprise O/R "Optimized for J2EE / J2SE Customer Success." CocoBase® continues to lead the industry in providing developers success with enterprise database access. In version 4.0, CocoBase® expands its mature persistence functionality, interoperability with all the top tools, in-depth partnering for solutions that work, and most importantly delivers an easy to use tool that dramatically cuts the cost of database access.

"Our goal of continuing to simplify the complex process of persisting relational data is further enhanced with version 4.0 of CocoBase Enterprise O/R. CocoBase's ability to bring together mature O/R Mapping functionality that interoperates with application servers, modeling tools, and development environments is a win - win for customers and partners," said Ward Mullins, CTO of Thought Inc.

CocoBase's mapping technology covers the breadth of EJB 2.0/1.1 Entity Beans, Session Beans, JSP's on the J2EE platform and Java persistence code on the J2SE platform. This 4.0 release adds in support for EJB 2.0, CMP Entity bean relationships, local and remote bean interfaces, extended Transparent Persistence support for local and distributed environments, Generic Session Beans, Tomcat 4.0 JSP code templates with optional User Transaction Object, etc. Also included are integrations for updates of HP, IBM, Oracle, and Sybase's application servers along with XMI 1.1 support for Rational Rose, Power Designer, and Together Control Center modeling tools.

CocoBase's market leadership is demonstrated in customer success with multiple companies like Bell South, Harte Hanks, HBO and NCS Pearson. A key aspect of this success is how closely Thought Inc. works with partners. For example Sybase is reselling CocoBase with EAServer, Rational and Borland can provide O/R Mapping with CocoBase® integration, and more. By making sure input from partners and customers is reflected in CocoBase as well as advancements from the engineering team, the tool remains intuitive and simple to use, even for complex operations.

"CocoBase's sales and technology leadership in the O/R Mapping tool market is a clear result of staying close to the fundamentals. Those being meeting the needs of the customer by providing a solution that cuts costs, improves performance and is easy to use," said Daniel Wilson, VP of Sales / Marketing for Thought Inc.

About THOUGHT Inc.

THOUGHT Inc., architects of CocoBase® Enterprise O/R, "Dynamic Mapping for the Enterprise®" was formed in 1993, and subsequently revolutionized object to relational mapping technology with landmark solutions and industry leadership. The company supports customers around the world from their offices in Paris, France, and Florianopolis, Brazil as well as corporate headquarters in San Francisco, CA. CocoBase® and THOUGHT Inc. ® are registered trademarks of THOUGHT Inc. ®. CocoBase® technology is based on US patent #5857197. All other trademarks are property of their respective company. More information on THOUGHT Inc. ® can be obtained online at WWW.THOUGHTINC.COM or by calling, (415) 836-9199.

Threaded Messages (6)

2. second THOUGHTs[ Go to top ]

After reading the thread from a previous Cocobase announcement where these guys got really rude and immature with the leader of the JDO project, I lost a lot of respect for their company. At least they managed to avoid taking shots at JDO this time.
  3. second THOUGHTs[ Go to top ]

Hi Perrin,

Are you sure you feel that it's rude to criticize someone publically? Isn't that what you just did? The JDO project leader was highly inflamatory to THOUGHT, not the other way around. THOUGHT just responded in a way that finally caused the marketing hype of JDO to disappear, and the truth to finally come out (thinks like JDO isn't an O/R spec in the 1.0 release, that it's not distributed, that it's not directly compatible with App Servers and must be shoe horned into them, etc.).

If you think trying to get at the truth in a public forum was rude, then you should tell Craig to not criticize vendors about something they can back up...

So you may not have noticed it but the war over JDO is done. Craig committed to fixing the JDO in the 2.0 spec so that it doesn't screw our customers, and we committed to considering implementing it if he actually fixes it. That hardly seems rude or immature and it seems like customers will benefit in a way that would never have happened if we were simply lemmings as many vendors were...

Considering that Craig never implemented an Enterprise O/R product, it's not suprising he wasn't aware of all of the issues. And when he finally started listening to us, I think the reality of our feedback began to sit in. I just hope it has a positive impact on the JDO spec and that 2.0 isn't accompanied by as much misinformation as the 1.0 spec was...

You're always entitled to your opinions, but if you don't want a public fight, the best advice is not start one...

Just my personal $.02
    Ward Mullins
    CTO
    THOUGHT Inc.
    http://www.thoughtinc.com
  4. second THOUGHTs[ Go to top ]

<q>
    Considering that Craig never implemented an Enterprise O/R product, it's not suprising he wasn't aware of all of the issues.
    </q>
    Have you ever implemented O/R mapper yourself? I bet my 2 cents that you don't.Of course some technical staff of your company knows how to do that (and knows it very well) but you don't. So don't be a <q>"simple lemming"</q> by posting your ingorant messages here.

<q>
    thinks like JDO isn't an O/R spec in the 1.0 release
    </q>

JDO purpose is not only O/R mapping it can be other datasoure for example ODBMS.
  5. second THOUGHTs[ Go to top ]

Have you ever implemented O/R mapper yourself? I bet my 2

> cents that you don't.Of course some technical staff of
    > your company knows how to do that (and knows it very
    > well) but you don't. So don't be a <q>"simple
    > lemming"</q> by posting your ingorant messages here.

Well you would owe me your $.02 then. Actually I personally
    implemented the original Java version of CocoBase, and I've
    personally architected, prototyped or written many parts
    of the 4.0 system. So your 'opinion' would be incorrect
    unfortunately.

CocoBase was my vision, I thought of it, I implemented the
    first system, I filed and received the landmark patents on
    the subject...

When craig was still playing with ODBMS systems, I was
    helping fortune 500 customers deploy O/R mapping in the
    enterprise...

> <q>
    > thinks like JDO isn't an O/R spec in the 1.0 release
    > </q>
    >
    > JDO purpose is not only O/R mapping it can be other
    > datasoure for example ODBMS.

This battle is over, the spec creator already came out
    in public and stated this, so your 'belief' is just that
    'a belief' and a wrong one at that...

Java is for both of those purposes, but that doesn't
    make Java an O/R spec either. No more that Servlets or
    JSPs are an O/R spec, even though you can do database
    access from them as well... You're confusing what you
    can do with a technology, versus what it actually
    specifies for you to do...

In JDO, there are no definitions for how objects can and should be mapped.

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean the spec actually
    specifies 'how' to do it...

Have you even read the spec? Do you know what it says?
    Or are you just trying to vent your own personal frustration
    for some reason?

You're entitled to your opinion, but in this case it is
    incredibly ill-informed...

Ward Mullins
    CTO
    THOUGHT Inc.
    http://www.thoughtinc.com
  6. second THOUGHTs[ Go to top ]

It's difficult to have respect for the company where its representative (CTO!) behaves in such unprofessional and disrespectful manner. Don't take my word for it though, make your own opinion, read Java Data Objects vs. Entity Beans

You may also want to take a look at TopLink with JDO support or ObJectRelationalBridge

7. second THOUGHTs[ Go to top ]

It's difficult to have respect for the company where its

> representative (CTO!) behaves in such unprofessional and
    > disrespectful manner. Don't take my word for it though,
    > make your own opinion, read Java Data Objects vs. Entity
    > Beans

So you think it's disrespectful for the CTO to respond to
    technically incorrect or unprofessional statements that come
    from a Sun representative, but you don't think their
    statements are disrespectful?

Don't you think that you have an odd sense of Justice?
    So what particular axe are you grinding at the moment?

> You may also want to take a look at TopLink with JDO
    > support or ObJectRelationalBridge

Please do, but don't forget to come and look at a
    Transparent persistence system that is already fully
    both distributed and J2EE compliant :)

You can choose vapor, or you can choose a produce that
    has more features, more integrations, a better architecture
    and a better price...

Your employer might not care about their developer
    productivity, but luckily for our business that matters
    most to most real companies...

Just my $.02