Java 2 SDK Standard Edition 1.4 Release Candidate Available

Discussions

News: Java 2 SDK Standard Edition 1.4 Release Candidate Available

1. J2SE 1.4 has reached Release Candidate candidate status and is available for download. With all sorts of goodies including JDBC 3.0, assertions, logging APIs, enhancements to RMI, serialization, CORBA, JNDI, security, new IO APIs and more. It's good to see this approaching availability.

Download J2SE 1.4 Release Candidate.

Its got a lot of new goodies.

Does anyone know how long it'll take to go from this release candidate to the final release?

With the long list of new features, I'm interested to hear what aspects of the new J2SE that each of you are looking forward to most.

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Wow!!!!! I had been using this in beta for a while now and I had not idea they had all of this in here. Let me say it again. WOW!!!!!!!!!
  3. Favourite Features[ Go to top ]

My favourites are:

full-screen exclusive mode in AWT and the API for hardware accelerated graphics (now my daydreams of writing a Java-based 3D-accelerated game are even better)

the reflection performance enhancements (now if only the API were more convenient, a la OpenSymphony's BeanUtils)

-JSSE integration into the JDK, which makes installation instructions for SSL-capable sites easier</li>

-JAAS integration into the JDK, which will hopefully lead to EJB authentication realms being more standard between vendors (a la JBoss)

-a standard way of chaining exceptions (about time)

What I'd most like to see that's not yet in is:

-generics (i.e. collections without the casting), which are an EA download

-some way to add programmatically-accessible metadata with less overhead than BeanInfo (a la .NET attributes <dons asbestos suit>.
  4. Favourite Features[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    -some way to add programmatically-accessible metadata with less overhead than BeanInfo (a la .NET attributes <dons asbestos suit>.
    </quote>

You can take off your asbestos suit, metadata is long overdue in Java. If the host of Javadoc initiatives are any indication (do a Google search for 'doclet'), we are in desperate need for native support of metadata in the JDK, especially for technologies as complex as J2EE, which require information that can unfortunately not be expressed in Java...

Not mentioning that Microsoft has been treading down that road since 1995 with the success we all know. The original C/C++ hacks for COM were rather ugly but things are finally coming together with the metadata notation of .NET. I can't wait to have the same power in Java.

--
    Cedric
  5. Metadata[ Go to top ]

Even though this may be blasphemous to some of you, I'd much rather see a metadata facility than Web Services.

Mind you, that's because I'm not entirely sure Web Services have a lot more to them than hype, yet. I maly change my mind as they mature.
  6. General Release - when?[ Go to top ]

RC is nice. Does anyone know the estimated timeframe for general release? Which version of Weblogic app server is BEA targeting to support 1.4?
  7. Favourite Features[ Go to top ]

Excuse my ignorance on these matters of meta-data, but as a user of lots of these doclet type tools I am interested in what you have in mind for Java meta-data - And what exactly you mean by meta-data !?

I don't have any experience with .NET atributes. Could somebody give a quick description?

How do you think a possible solution for this in Java might be implemented?

8. Favourite Features[ Go to top ]

Hi Luke,

Metadata is not code. It's stuff that doesn't quite fit into the language, so you put it into comments, and it tells tools and compilers what special things to do or include in the resulting .java and/or .class files and/or documentation and/or deployment descriptors (or whatever).

Since it is not code, there are no slug-speed standards to re-work. Javadoc is based on metadata encodings into "/** ... */" comments in Java, like "@param" and stuff like that. Some brilliant people decided to create entire code-generating tools out of this same approach so "@property int x" becomes a field plus a getter plus a setter plus anything else needed for an integer value "x".

The key to supporting it at runtime is widening the reflection API to provide access to custom attributes (see JVM doc) and -- potentially -- providing an event-based plug-in system to be driven by the JVM based on those attributes.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  9. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly separates a <i>Release candidate</i> from a beta?
  10. Betas represent unfinished functionality; some features may be removed or added, and you can expect bugs.

Release candidates typically are feature complete, and are expected to be relatively bug-free. When a release candidate has been trialled long enough with no major bugs cropping up, then a final release (Sun seems to like calling them FCS, or First Customer Ship) version will be made.

How long that takes depends on how many show-stopping bugs get found. Probably a couple of months, though.