Discussions

EJB design: SessionBean waiting on JMS Message

1. SessionBean waiting on JMS Message (7 messages)

I encountered the folowing situation at a client:
    They have several sessionbeans that send a message to a queue, create a java object, pass it a temporary on which to wait for a reply queue for a reply.

I find this a very weird situation and imho, is something which is implicitly disallowed by the (EJB 1.1) spec which says in sec 18 that an EJB should not try to manage or start a thread (a queue session is a thread) and should not try to open a server socket (i don´t know what teh JMS implementation uses, but i guess it´s something similar to a socket).

Any opinions?

Threaded Messages (7)

2. SessionBean waiting on JMS Message[ Go to top ]

As I understand it, the Session Bean is allowed to open sockets, but not to act as a server, listening to one.

The collecting of messages should be done in a Message Driven Bean.

3. SessionBean waiting on JMS Message[ Go to top ]

that was my understanding too. They are actually using Websphere 4.something so MDB is no option. However, somewhere in the IBM docs they do something like this:

public class ThisShouldNotBePossible implements SessionBean, MessageListener{}

Which IMHO goes against the EJB component contract.

The case I found here is not like this, it´s simply a bussiness method creating a temp queue and listening to it for one message. Eventhough it uses a helper class, it probably opens a socket to listens to a message, starts a thread (QueueSession is a thread), and uses the java.io package to read the data from the socket...

Am I right here ??
  4. I guess I already found the answer to this. It´s quite simple actually. EJB is meant to be highly scalable. A sessionbean waiting for a message would actually block an EJB worker thread (block the tansaction) and the server would rapidly run out of resources (workerthreads in this case) resulting in a deadlock.
  5. I use this technique ( posting a message with a temporary topic attached, and the have my SLSB block waiting for a response from the MDB to that topic ), because it was the only pattern I found to do asynchronous processing. It is in several EJB books I read, and there was quite a discussion about here on the server side.

My business problem is this: I have several independent calls to outside vendor applications, each of which take 30 seconds to run, but they run independently. I have to have a response from ALL of the vendors in order to satisfy my contract with the rest of the services. With 10 or so vendors, if I run them serially, it takes 10 * 30 secs ( 5 mins ) seconds of time from my EJB worker thread. If I post and wait for the MDBs to return, it takes 30 secs total. I realize I'm (hopefully)creating 10 threads everytime I run this, but each of those threads will finish ( I only wait a certain amount of time for each vendor response ), and in my SLSB, I timeout after 2 minutes and stop waiting for responses from the MDBs and destroy the topic.

I look at it this way: I may or may not be creating 10 MDB threads, because JMS does NOT guarantee my message will be handled immediately, so the container could decide to create exactly one MDB listening to my posting queue, and which point it basically runs the callouts to the vendors serially, or it could create 10 MDB threads and run all the requests in parallel. I assume the container is thread-pooling so it won't run out of resources. The worst that could happend is all my requests time-out if the system is overloaded.

I really hope this is not against the EJB spec. I was assured it wasn't several months ago when we figured out how to do this. If not, I'll have to find some other (horrible) solution to running my callouts in parallel.
  6. Unfortunatly this is not the situation here. The app server (Websphere) does not support MDB.

Anyways, IMHO, blocking a thread waiting for a message is NOT a good idea. It might work some of the time I guess (like it does here).

I´ve looked for info on this on a lot of sites. The only thing I found I thought really valuable was in the SUN EJB list archives where it was considered against the specs.

7. SessionBean waiting on JMS Message[ Go to top ]

If you are using "Asynchronous" messaging in a Request-Reply configuration, the SLSB can make a request (specifying the reply Q in the request) and block on the reply Q. This is not against the EJB spec. In fact, this is no different than a "Synchronous" call - With Request/Reply, we are just simulating a "Synchronous" call using an "Async" mechanism.

However, if you are using pure "Async" messaging, you are not supposed to use a SLSB. MDB's are designed for such a need.

Also, WAS 4.0 Extended Edition supports MDB in the form of a JMSListener component. We have had very good success with it.

Thanks...
    -Srini
    Application Architecture
    RBC Dain Raucher
  8. SessionBean waiting on JMS Message[ Go to top ]

<q>
    If you are using "Asynchronous" messaging in a Request-Reply configuration, the SLSB can make a request (specifying the reply Q in the request) and block on the reply Q. This is not against the EJB spec. In fact, this is no different than a "Synchronous" call - With Request/Reply, we are just simulating a "Synchronous" call using an "Async" mechanism.
    </q>

IMHO it is against the spec, a JMS session is a thread and thus, the SLSB is starting a Thread which it is not supposed to do. Besides, if the method runs in a transaction (which it does in my case), and the container is out of resources and the (WEBSPHERE) Transaction Inactivity Timeout has passed, the container will kill & rollback the transaction and close the temp queue. We stressed the app yesterday and this happened a lot. The container may also wait for the transaction timeout or may timeout on the Servlet/JSP side if there is no response from the EJB.