Discussions

News: J2EE 1.4 BETA SDK/Documentation Released

1. J2EE 1.4 BETA SDK/Documentation Released (3 messages)

A beta release of the J2EE 1.4 SDK/documentation is now available for Linux, Solaris and Windows. Highlights of the J2EE 1.4 release include web services support integrated with Servlets and EJBs, an enhanced Connector architecture with bidirectional integration; standards for J2EE management and deployment; JSP fragments and an expression language; and, a new standard for extending J2EE containers with a pluggable authorization facility.

A FCS [First Customer Ship] is expected for Q1 next year, with a final release in Q2/Q3 2003.

Download J2EE 1.4 SDK/Documentation for Linux, Solaris, and Windows.

Also of interest is this Integration Developer News interview with Sun that discusses issues such as the release schedule for J2EE, complexity, status of the JCP and .NET interoperability.

TheServerSide is also working on an interview with Mark Hapner, J2EE 1.4 Spec lead. It will be published here in late November/early December.
  2. Will JSP 2.0 be released on its own before J2EE 1.4, or will we have to wait for the whole shebang?
  3. After 18 months of heavy ejb learning-coding and finally deploying I am getting sick with the technology.

The time I actually spent on coding real java classes was dwarfed by the time spent on servlets and jsps.

No matter what tag libraries and others things do, I don't like to spend my time writing unstructured code for which it is hell to do test cases.

Instead of helping us do EJB's and writing deployment descriptors (which you end up writing yourself because you want to use ant makefiles), why don't they automate the creation of servlet and jsp ? I want an xdoclet where I can tell the appserver how to build a web ui around the bean. This way I surely do not put logic in the web tier (as we all end up doing - I mean you don't need to redeploy a JSP).

J2EE should be for programmers, not for web designers. The whole approach, I think, is wrong.

I recently decided to try Jini out, and I am very happy that I can use my full programming skills. I am back to real object oriented design, doing things as extending classes and using my own interfaces. And the nice thing is that most of the Jini needed infrastructure stays outside of my code. You build wrappers that take your pure java code and turns it into services or clients.
    This way my UML looks clean and "real", you can't tell whether it will be a stand-alone class, or a Jini service with all added benefits of distributed computing.

Just my 2 cents.
  4. J2EE is not JSP. Try to replace JSP with wingS.

Holger Engels