Discussions

News: JBuilder 8 Enterprise Edition Download Released

1. JBuilder 8 Enterprise Edition Download Released (32 messages)

The new Release of Borland JBuilder Enterprise edition is available for download. JBuilder 8 Enterprise simplifies Web and EJB development with two-way visual designers and deployment to leading J2EE appservers. It includes UML code visualization, refactoring, code formatting, HotSwap debugging, unit testing, and version control integration.

JBuilder Enterprise page.
    Download page.

Threaded Messages (32)

2. It looks nifty, though the price is somewhat obscene.

Cheers
    Ray
  3. This post reminds me of a brilliant IDEA someone had recently for a reasonably priced, yet superb development environment for enterprise Java. Hmmm. I sure wish I could remember what that IDEA was.... That someone posted recently.... Not sure... But I know that it was an amazing IDEA... And really cheap too....

-- Jason
  4. say that sound like the IDEAl ide
  5. Wow you guys are so INTELLIJent.

-Jason
  6. Oh Punny Ones!

It would be good to know who's using what out there. In terms of actual numbers.

You know - TSS really needs the ability to do polls. Frequent ones at that.

Simple stuff would do - the ability to ask a question, provide a few options, restrict votes to one per login, total 'em up and crank out a summary.

Polls could be initiated by users, just like new articles, and would be vetted by TSS moderators.

This would let readers have concrete information that they could take to their managers while making a proposal for investing in J2EE technology.

Sandeep.
  7. I suggest a bit more specific questions

currently used IDE
    favorite IDE for J2SE
    favorite "enterprise" IDE

AlexV.
  8. Hi Alex,

I would go one step farther:

Favorite 3 features of favorite J2EE/Web service-enabled IDE.

Regards,

Rich Katz
  9. I agree that latest version of JBuilder 'steal' some of the features that IDEA has (refactoring, code formating), BUT the first versions of IDEA were looking very similar to the JBuilder in that time too.

IntelliJ is smaller company and had a priviledge to develop an IDE from stratch taking into account what other vendors have done. And they did it very, very well.

In my opinion IDEA has an edge over JBuilder in code editing, but overall JBuilder is better (taking into account web/ejb/db/ws/corba/rmi development).
  10. I agree completely with the last reply,
    the prize put aside,
    JBuilder is a very great tool
    and is better and better with each new version
    under the pression from .Net and Oracle
  11. I agree, its a nice IDE, but come on ... it seems like they want at least $2K every 6 months. IDEA must be getting their attention by now.
  12. JBuilder 8 is great tools I ever see. Jbuilder 8 support many AppServers but I don't know why not JBoss?
    I just release the JBoss Jbuilder6/7/8 OT at http:/sf.net/projects/jboss-opentool
  13. OK but what about the fact that Borland is now the owner of TogetherSoft? Is JBuilder 8 the merged successor of JBuilder 7 plus TogetherControlCenter 6 or this will happen in who knows what/when version ?
    My 0.02$ please ?
  14. The JBuilder 8 Enterprise Studio package still has Rational Rose as the designer. It will take some time to intergrate JBuilder with TogetherControlCenter because of some overlap features.

TogetherControlCenter is a neat package, but bloated, with Borland's help hopefully it will get better.
  15. Nice but expensive. Also, IntelliJ and JDeveloper are catching up with features and have a better(a lot) pricing strategy.
  16. I have used Jbuilder 6 and 7 primarily to develop JSP applications and in particular struts. I have found it very difficult to work with JBuilder to develop this sort of application. I was on the point of giving up and using a text editor when I looked at JDeveloper 903. The support for Struts in this product is excellent, it will be interesting to see how JBuilder 8 compares against this. I know this is quite a narrow use and not a comparrison of all the features between the two IDEs.

I also get confused by JBuilders management of source files. It seems I have to go to great lengths to get JBuilder to put JSPs in subdirectories but I'm probably doing something wrong.

My other main gripe is with the CVS support. If you check the project into CVS Jbuilder alters the project file to remove all of the "working files" when the next developer checks out the app only the source for any packages are visible, no web apps or anything. Apparently Borland say this is a feature ! We have to resort to checking the project in with CVS manually.
  17. I'm a consultant and is currently working for a big department. All developers here use JBuilder for developing EJB's and "regular" Java applications.
    I fancy ANT and Xdoclet so currently I'm using JBuilder 7 Enterprise as the worlds most expensive (3000$) editor... :-)

Weasel
  18. it is a great but expensive product

my question is why i must by the enterprise version to get cvs support
  19. JBuilder 8 SE supports CVS[ Go to top ]

http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/pdf/jb8_feamatrix.pdf

Looks like the standard edition provides support for CVS
    as well.
  20. About JDevelopper...[ Go to top ]

I didn't use JDevelopper 9.0.3 but 9.0.2 recently for a few monthes.
    Maybe version 9.0.3 is spectacular, but I found the support of CVS and struts catastrophic in 9.0.2 !

Any editing action of a JSP requires a lot the CPU, even while you're just moving the cursor inside a comment zone !!!

Just for comparison, on the SAME machine, I had worked earlier with WSAD (IBM version of Eclipse, with Websphere integrated) :
    the real time JSP compilation requires less time than any editing action inside JDev!!
  21. Eclipse[ Go to top ]

I use JBuilder and I do like it but the price is crazy. I'm going to at least skip a version or 2. I've been playing with Eclipse lately and I think I like the perspectives and the emphasis on refactoring. I'm sure it will take a little time for the Eclipse plug-in market to mature but I was just wondering if anyone else is using it? How does it stack up?
  22. JBuilder 9 coming soon?[ Go to top ]

I can feel JBuilder 9 should be comming out very soon - J2EE 1.4. More money to spend.
  23. Jbuilder3 or 8?[ Go to top ]

Ive been using jbuilder 3,4,5,6,7 and have switched back to jbuilder3(!) now. Im not very happy when the gui "freeze" all the times. Actually I have a powerful computer, but it doesnt help. Jbuilder7 are also using a lot more memory than 3:( Jbuilder 3 works were well and is fast, but of course there no support for ejbs ant stuff like that. Borland MUST speed up the gui now! Its sounds crazy to switch back, but im happier now..

/Rikard
  24. Jbuilder3 or 8?[ Go to top ]

[quote]
    Ive been using jbuilder 3,4,5,6,7 and have switched back to jbuilder3(!) now. Im not very happy when the gui "freeze" all the times. Actually I have a powerful computer, but it doesnt help. Jbuilder7 are also using a lot more memory than 3:( Jbuilder 3 works were well and is fast, but of course there no support for ejbs ant stuff like that. Borland MUST speed up the gui now! Its sounds crazy to switch back, but im happier now..

/Rikard
    [/quote]

I think you can try JBuilder 8, maybe you can get happy with speeding up the GUI. :)
  25. Jbuilder3 or 8?[ Go to top ]

JBuilder is a great ide, but with a lot of features that only serve the purpose of filling up the marketing data sheet. Once you use the product the core features it provides are top notch. Yes, the licensing the past two years has gotten crazy with updgrades every 4 months - not cheap. I understand that they are going to offer maintenance agreements - 20% of license cost a year gives you all the updates. That is just a conversation I overheard, nothing firm.

When and if JBuilder can ever fully integrate the best features of Together/J with the best features of JBuilder, well that would be a sweet tool - but probably around 10K ... yikes.

Currently I have a copy of Together 6.0 and a copy of JBuilder 4.2 and the IDE that I use every day a copy of Eclipse 2.1M3 using JDK 1.4.

Eclipse gives all the key features that a developer needs with great support for refactoring, an excellent editor, good project management, top notch integration with CVS, highly configurable, optional continuous incremental build (always know where any problems are), highly effective soft checking as you type to highlight syntax errors ... I can not say enough about this tool ... saves me a measurable amount of time each day over JBuilder ... and it is free.

Check it out : http://www.eclipse.org ... you will not be disappointed.

-m
  26. Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Eclipse is one of the greatest IDE's out there, and no other free IDE matches to it in ease of use, power, and beauty at once.

I am a JBuilder convert.

The only drawback is absence of GUI builder tools (but frankly, who needs them?).
  27. One comment on the price.. your project costs are not dominated by your IDE costs, but by the people using them. If you are a small development shop the tools may be hard to purchase, but if the IDE can save the developers time in coding, debugging, and testing, it may well pay for itself. If your people are billing $100/hour, it doesn't take too many hours over a 6 month project to make up the cost difference.

I'm not saying that JBuilder can do that any better than IDEA, Jdeveloper, etc.. but if it meets your needs effectively for a project, the cost is probably less of an issue. That would imply, however, that your developers will be more productive and will save time with JBuilder when compared to another cheaper or free product.

(That said, I am a fan of IDEA, but primarily from a speed and functionality perspective. Nice product!)
  28. <quote>
    If your people are billing $100/hour, it doesn't take too many hours over a 6 month project to make up the cost difference.
    </quote>

100$/hour ? Come on ! Go have a look at the latest salary surveys ... half that maybe true .

Also , everybody seems to love spending money on IDEs ... how about Eclipse ? There are some nice plug-ins out there for J2EE ...
  29. Why waste money on an IDE[ Go to top ]

If you are in low in budget use Netbeans or JEdit or Eclipse
    all of them are open source projects and work well for dev teams. I have used netbeans extensively for projects and it works better than JBuilder and IDEA.

download sites are

http://www.netbeans.org
    http://www.eclipse.org
    http://www.jedit.org

cheers
  30. Let me tell you the little story of the young ambitious programmer who wanted to get JBuilder, but JBuilder was very very expensive and his poor old sick mother couldn't help him. Faced with this, he had to sell 1/2 liters of his blood every day to the Red Cross, to get the money. After six months he finaly had the cache. Weak and pale, he made his way to the shop and got his much desired JBuilder 5 Enterprise Edition Copy. Now, there was his chace. He would get his money back, become rich and famous and make old sick mama's life easier. The poor boy was glittering with joy.
    Oh, but dispair! Oh tragedy, tragedy! Oh, misery! JBuilder needed more RAM, so he went back to selling blood. When he couldn't get up anymore to go to the Red Cross, his mother did and than, their old white cat. The cat died soon after. Finaly, they got the money for the 1Gb of RAM needed. Life seemed to get easier, for a while. He coded and coded ferociously, day and night, night and day. After 1 year, he finished his product, only to find out that java was unusable and every one else was using a great cheap tool called vs.net, and they didn't have to sell their blood, or their cat's blood for that matter. Deeply hurt, the young programmer commited suicide, cutting his rist with the JBuilder cd. They sold the 1Gb of RAM and provided for his funeral.
    DON'T be the youg programmer!
  31. JBuilder 8 story[ Go to top ]

Michal Teala, you seem to make a big confusion. I know the same story, but Forte4j plays the principal role.
  32. vs.net cheap and demands less of your machine than JBuilder? Surely, Michael Teala, your young programmer was truly foolish.

I have the enterprise edition of vs.net and the professional version of JBuilder 6 on my laptop, which has a measly 256M and a 1G processor. (We won't discuss that fact that XP Pro leaves me less than 100M free.) Neither one runs fast. Yes, JBuilder requires more RAM, but vs.net is no slouch either. Sadly, I will have to sell my blood for more disk space, because the .net uses all of it.

And, neither one was cheap. I didn't spend the money for either one, but my MSDN subscription, through which I got the IDE, must have cost in excess of $1500. As far as I can tell, JBuilder sets their prices based on Microsoft's.

Finally, your young programmer was incredibly foolish to sell his blood. Plasma brings in more bucks, and there is funeral to pay for.
  33. I would like to see some of you detail what advantage you are getting from JBuilder over Eclipse or IDEA. I suggest you are getting a LOT LESS with JBuilder at an astronomical price. JBuilder is a mature code editor, little more. Most of the "enterprise" features are badly designed or so buggy they are useless. That has been my personal experience as a long time user of JBuilder projects. I like the editor, the rest of it you can keep. Eclipse with IDEA and JBoss as the application server are the ticket to high productivity with best-of-breed tools.