Discussions

News: JBoss Soon to be J2EE 1.4 Certified?

1. JBoss Soon to be J2EE 1.4 Certified? (21 messages)

According to The Register JBoss has completed J2EE 1.4 support and could become the first appserver to be J2EE 1.4 certified. JBoss will not be a complete implementation of J2EE 1.4, though. The article quotes Marc Fleury saying that APIs for Web services were excluded because of a lack of demand. The APIs will be included should that change, he said.

Read full article here:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/28472.html.

Threaded Messages (21)

2. The article may have quoted Marc out of context. They can't be certified if they don't have the web services compliance.

Floyd
  3. From the article:

"The application server can scale to around 300 CPUs [...]"
  4. "lack of demand for Web Services"
    astonishing...
  5. Not if you listen to Marc tell the story. He's seen very little in the way of client pushed requirements for web services and believes it to be mostly a vendor push. Quite a bit of that is seen as .NET and quite right, Marc believes this is a great way to allow .NET to easily integrate with J2EE. He doesn't want that to happen.
  6. JBoss Soon to be J2EE 1.4 Certified?[ Go to top ]

he's a freakin' nimrod. what does he want you to use on the client? linux? xwindows? swing? gimme a break.
  7. "Client", as it a client company that hires JBoss consultants, not "client" as in client-server.
  8. "lack of demand for Web Services"
    astonishing...

I don't know if I am astonished but if there is demand. There are other platforms besides Java and .NET. What about the people who run LAMP, and all that? It might be nice to share some services, mostly directory services, but maybe other kinds as well - payments, etc.

It's also true that web services are over-hyped, but so are a lot of other things (think EJB 1.0 spec ...)

In the earlier article he wrote, Marc explicitly said that he doesn't like web services because they are open to M$, but he doesn't have a monopoly - he is not Bill Gates, he can't play these games. More importantly, he needs to understand that the open source community only has so much patience. There are other free alternatives to JBoss - he should be careful or JBoss will go the way of Enhydra.
  9. This will be impressive if they really can crank out support for newer features (even if not certified). Their modular architecture should allow them to ratchet up the pressure on the other vendors with more monolithic architectures.

Steve
  10. It would be great if TSS stepped back a little bit and started to rethink the ways that articles are posted: based on what and with what purpose of discussion.

It is just amazing that you base a thread on an article that states: "the company has finished its implementation of Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE) version 1.4" and a few lines below indicates "JBoss will not be a complete implementation of J2EE 1.4, though. Fleury said APIs for XML-based Web services were excluded". Common, 70% percent of j2ee 1.4 is pure web services functionality...

Try to be more serious...
  11. JBoss Soon to be J2EE 1.4 Certified?[ Go to top ]

This is very serious. In fact these days, everything about JBOSS is extremely serious. Just because that FREE appserver behaves excellent in enterprise environment, has excellent support and most of all, for 300 CPUS (it can scale to that, believe me) you pay zip, nada. You make a calculus about how much that costs on BEA and than refine your opinion about how "serious" is a thread about anything new that concerns JBOSS. I'd say that if you can't add value to the thread, you better watch instead posting "serious" critics.

Blah blah
  12. "Just because that FREE appserver behaves excellent in enterprise environment, has excellent support and most of all, for 300 CPUS (it can scale to that, believe me) you pay zip, nada"

I believe you in the sense that I trust that you know the architecture and you concluded that theoretically there is nothing in the code that will stop it from scaling. But that's just JBoss, which is basically a TCP server. What about the JVM itself, the operating system, and the box itself. How much do you know about the scalability of those? And how much money does a 300-CPU machine cost? Probably ten million dollars, since you need hot-swappable CPUs and pretty much every other component. So, then, if you are spending millions for the machine, why worry about the price of the JBoss license? You could charge $1000 per CPU and it would still only be $300,000.

What I want to know is the throughput/latency curve when you run JBoss on 300 CPUs distributed across several machines!

BTW, does JBoss finally have TCP/IP multiplexing?
  13. [BTW, does JBoss finally have TCP/IP multiplexing?]

The 4.0 alpha version of JBoss has a Trunk Invoker that multiplexes all network calls and responses over shared sockets. So I think that meets your needs.
  14. JBoss Soon to be J2EE 1.4 Certified?[ Go to top ]

<QUOTE>
    You could charge $1000 per CPU and it would still only be $300,000.
    </QUOTE>

Or you could hire one more experienced J2EE Developer. I'd opt for the latter.

/T
  15. Its about time (if this is true)! The biggest problem with Jboss was because it was not certified. I've spent a fair amount of time tracking down bugs that were not due to application errors but instead to the jboss server. Things like JMS durability in 2.4.4 just didnt work or NOT_SUPPORTED transactions in 2.4.6 on the ejb tier rolled back transactions anyways. Of course with the later patches, these bugs were fixed but I'd like to have the peace of mind that when i am spending my time bug-hunting, its a legitimate bug. J2EE compliant is a far cry from J2EE certified.

Certification is huge, it has been the barrier that has stopped Jboss from being adopted into alot of enterprises. You have to keep in mind that "managers" need to see that Sun Certified label before they are willing to try the product. Yes, its a marketting issue but its an important one.
  16. "The 4.0 alpha version of JBoss has a Trunk Invoker that multiplexes all network calls and responses over shared sockets. So I think that meets your needs."

Nice. And yet all this time it was still the fastest, most scalable ejb server on the planet ...
  17. //////////
    Posted by Guglielmo Lichtner 2002-12-10 22:44:32.0.
    "The 4.0 alpha version of JBoss has a Trunk Invoker that multiplexes all network calls and responses over shared sockets. So I think that meets your needs."

Nice. And yet all this time it was still the fastest, most scalable ejb server on the planet ...
    /////////

Not so loud! Heaven forbid the guys from TMC actually use it in a benchmark. Now, we wouldn't want that, would we?
  18. Not so loud! Heaven forbid the guys from TMC actually use it in a benchmark. Now, we wouldn't want that, would we?

I was being sarcastic :)
  19. JBoss Soon to be J2EE 1.4 Certified?[ Go to top ]

And by the way. It seems you don't realize the importance of JBOSS as J2EE - anyVERSION certification.
  20. JBoss Soon to be J2EE 1.4 Certified?[ Go to top ]

If you carefully re-read my post, you will find that i didn´t say at ay point that JBoss´ J2EE certification was not serious. I find it a matter of great interest to the J2EE and IT in general industry. However, i don´t find it serious at all to discuss an article that states something and 5 lines below states the opposite...it doesn´t deserve our attention. There must be like 100 more interesting articles regarding Jboss´ j2ee certification than the FUD from TheRegister... And please try to elude any comments regarding what i should do (or what i shouldn´t.) My comments were directed to the way TSS lately chooses its threads, not to anyone in particular...
  21. In my opinion, the intent of this news post has been adequately stated. The post and link is there for informational purposes only. Whether you like its quality and content or not, is up to you to decide. I didn't comment on the quality of this article. So please get a grip and take this post as what it is: a piece of news that's there for you to stay informed and evaluate yourself. I found it interesting enough to disclose and haven't found a better source of this news since.
  22. Looks who is using Jboss.[ Go to top ]

The article mentions Jboss is used by McDonalds and by the State Department for real applications. I am excited to hear about real use of this project.

Jboss can do webservices, all the standard stuff. I think the webservices lacking from JBoss's J2ee 1.4 Impl are mostly serialization apis for accessing EJB's.

I dont' know about your budgets, but I already run 15 tomcat servers and could not afford to license 15 cpu's of a commercial product. Jboss feature set just keeps getting better and better. Kudos JBOSS team you guys rock.