JCodeBox J2EE Application/Component Builder Released

Discussions

News: JCodeBox J2EE Application/Component Builder Released

1. JCodeBox is a powerful application and component builder that simplifies the creation of Enterprise Java (J2EE), Java Web and Java Web Services applications.

It provides a visual environment where you design, build and deploy your applications.

It generates code based on O/R mapping and J2EE patterns, also allowing you to tweak the XSL templates that generate the code/descriptors.

JCodeBox Key Features:

- Visual development environment
    - Object-relational mapping engine
    - Visually apply J2EE Design Patterns
    - Code templating engine (XSL)
    - Visual definition of Enterprise JavaBeans and JSPs
    - Deployment descriptor generation (generic and application server specific)
    - Ant and JUnit integration
    - Database tools (schema browser and query tool)
    - Supports J2EE versions 1.2 and 1.3

Here are some useful links:

JCodeBox Home

Feature List

Product Tours

Press Release

More and more code generators are coming onto the market. What do people think about code generation?

Threaded Messages (17)

2. It may be too early to say, but all these tools are not going to be accepted by the community so fast. This is becoz of the history of such tools, which invariably need programmer intervention and then ends up in a "confused by generated code - so re-wrote the code " kind of situation.
      I will be happy to read experiences of some users. Please dont think i m critisizing, I need to know more from users of such tools.
  3. I think after some time almost all software will be developed in the way JCodeBox offers. Visual development and code generation, not low level plumbing.

Maris
  4. deja vu[ Go to top ]

The software industry always seems to go in cycles.

1) Start with something simple (Java)
    2) Make it more complex (J2EE)
    3) Create a GUI tool that hides the complexity
    4) Discover that the GUI tool does 90% of the task but the other 10% requires the modification of automatically generated code that is hard to understand/enhance.
    5) Find a new development language and go back to 1

Just call me a cynic. I like some automatic generation of boiler plate code but the code that is generated needs to be maintainable & extensible. Ideally the generation tool should permit reverse-engineering and re-generation.

I am willing to try anything that saves a bit of tedious work and ensures that everything stays in step. I am a big fan of xdoclet at the moment.
  5. RE: deja vu[ Go to top ]

"Ideally the generation tool should permit reverse-engineering and re-generation."

I wasn't aware that XDoclet supports reverse engineering. Is this true?
  6. RE: deja vu[ Go to top ]

xDoclet doesn't support this. I did say that in an ideal tool would, unfortunately we live in a far from ideal world.
  7. Middlegen[ Go to top ]

"Ideally the generation tool should permit reverse-engineering and re-generation."

I wasn't aware that XDoclet supports reverse engineering. Is this true? <<

I think you need to take a look at the middlegen project:

http://middlegen.sf.net

which is bringing reverse engineering to the XDoclet world. Great initiative and one that WILL start to impact upon your world in the next year....
  8. non-EJB support? JDO?[ Go to top ]

Does it support JDO or other non-EJB persistence frameworks?
  9. Re: non-EJB support? JDO?[ Go to top ]

JCodeBox does not currently support JDO. However (in addition to the EJB support), it does provide persistence using JDBC when you define web applications. You can also separate the data access code from the main web code by applying a data access object (DAO) pattern.

Information on supported features can be found at:
    http://www.jcodebox.com/Features.shtm
  10. I was about to download it...[ Go to top ]

... but I saw the link http://www.jcodebox.com/dwn_eval_frm.asp
    ... asp on a J site??
  11. Windows only[ Go to top ]

.. and it is Windows only, as far as I can judge. Ah, well give them a break.
  12. Correction Re. Windows only[ Go to top ]

The commercial release of JCodeBox has installers for windows and linux. There is a Mac OS X installer available but it is still being tested. Information on system requirements, supported platforms, etc can be found at:
    http://www.jcodebox.com/Prod_SysReqs.shtm

Currently there is only a windows installer for the evaluation version of JCodeBox however a linux one should be available soon followed by the Mac OS X one.
  13. other versions[ Go to top ]

I've mailed them suggesting a .zip/.tgz download would be
    more sensible - they'll have some poor person getting to
    grips with configuring OS-specific installer wizards as we
    speak, rather than (a) not bothering, (b) using the InstallAnywhere
    (or is it ZeroG?) one. Ho hum.
  14. How to setup an Oracle database[ Go to top ]

I have downloded Eavluation version of JCodeBox.Pl help me, how to setup an Oracle database.
  15. Re: How to setup an Oracle database[ Go to top ]

There's an evaluation guide that gives information on the evaluation version of JCodeBox at
    http://www.jcodebox.com/dwn_eval_gde.asp

If the guide does not provide the information you require please feel free to
    contact JCodeBox support at support at jcodebox dot com.
  16. don't believe so[ Go to top ]

Their system requirements claims Redhat as a supported environment too,
    but for some stupid reason the evaluation download is a .exe (erm why?)

It appears to be a pure Java thing, so it should be a .zip shouldn't it?
  17. re. don't believe so[ Go to top ]

Currently there is only a windows installer for the evaluation version of JCodeBox however a linux one should be available soon followed by the Mac OS X one.
  18. From the productivity angle, the gain will be around 10-15%. But I see great value addition from standardizing across the code base/project, the design guidelines,best practices, documentation templates, design patterns.

It will be nice if roundtrip engineering is possible with these code generator.
    I am currently working on this part of code generation...(XDoclet can be the
    answer for this...)