how to connect the database using struts

Discussions

EJB design: how to connect the database using struts

1. i have problem in connecting database through struts as i am relevently new to it. i wanted to test it with my MS Access but it gave this error

<Jun 3, 2003 5:54:26 PM IST> <Error> <HTTP> <[WebAppServletContext(5856205,Defau
    ltWebApp,/DefaultWebApp)] Servlet failed with Exception
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at org.struts.example.StrutsInputAction.perform(StrutsInputAction.java:5
    9)
            at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processActionPerform(ActionSer
    vlet.java:1787)
            at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:158
    6)
            at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:510)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:760)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubIm
    pl.java:262)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubIm
    pl.java:198)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet(WebAppSe
    rvletContext.java:2637)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute(ServletRequestIm
    pl.java:2359)
            at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:139)
            at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:120)
    >

how to write data sources tag in struts-config.xml? if possible give me some sample coding for connecting database.

thanks in advance

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Add another layer, for starters[ Go to top ]

I would avoid connecting directly to a database from a web component, such as a servlet. If I were you, I would, at least, design a data access layer using DAO objects that can connect, read, and write to a database. With this type of design you can encapsulate all of your query and persistence logic in a separate layer, which facilitates future changes, which will no doubt be required as the application matures.

I've never used Struts, sorry I could not help on that :-P

SAF
  3. could you please specify which component of struts (Action,ActionForm,jsp) is trying to connect to the DB ?

If it is from Action classes, then I believe it should be no different from any other servlet (either direct JDBC(not recommended), or DAO(recommended) )

However, if it is from JSP to get some properties from Database, then you might want to write a custom tag lib for that.

Thanks
  4. i have problem in connecting database through struts as i am relevently new to it. i wanted to test it with my MS Access but it gave this error

>
    > <Jun 3, 2003 5:54:26 PM IST> <Error> <HTTP> <[WebAppServletContext(5856205,Defau
    > ltWebApp,/DefaultWebApp)] Servlet failed with Exception
    > java.lang.NullPointerException
    >         at org.struts.example.StrutsInputAction.perform

It is giving a NullPointer in the perform method. See what's being done there.

<snip>

> how to write data sources tag in struts-config.xml? if possible give me some sample coding for connecting database.

Look here for an example:
    http://javaboutique.internet.com/Web_App_Struts/index-2.html
    --Das
  5. Here You go[ Go to top ]

Hi using jdbc pool of commons with struts frame work is good but not 2 good to use you may get lot of other choices the one i am using you can get from http://www.richardsonpublications.com/dbpool/index.jsp where you found all the detail to use it, then you don't need to specify datasource property in sturts-config.xml cause you are using thrid party connection pool.
    Apart from this doing jdbc in struts is as easy you use to from simple java class in struts you should connect to database from your Bean class not FormBean i am talking about the helper Bean class where you perform all the business logic the benfit of this is that you can also use this bean class any where else as it is.
    then you can call your methods from Action Class and do all the stuff you want.

regards...
    Zeeshan Haider