OpenEJB 0.9.2 released with Tomcat integration tools

Discussions

News: OpenEJB 0.9.2 released with Tomcat integration tools

1. The 0.9.2 release is one that the whole team is quite proud of. OpenEJB 0.9.0 marked are first release with special Tomcat embedded support. Thanks to all the user feedback that support has just gotten better and better. The 0.9.2 release contains a neat surprise for OpenEJB/Tomcat users -- TOOLS!

The new integration features a webapp with a setup verifier, JNDI browser, EJB viewer, Class browser, and even an Object invoker! You can browse the OpenEJB namespace and know right away exactly where the ejb is and what it is called. When you find one you like, just click it and it will open up into the EJB viewer. While there you can check out it's home, remote and bean classes in the class browser. The Object invoker allows you to actually create and invoke your EJBs without writing a single line of code.

OpenEJB 0.9.2 also contains a new openejb.base variable to complement the openejb.home variable. The openejb.base variable allows you to have several configurations of OpenEJB all running against the same OpenEJB install. This makes using OpenEJB in IDEs like Eclipse or NetBeans even easier. Move the openejb_loader-0.9.2.jar into your project's lib directory, set the openejb.base, and you'll be debugging your EJB apps front-to-back without the need for remote debugging support or special editor plug-ins.

Thanks to all the OpenEJB users for all the great ideas! You speak, we listen.

http://openejb.sourceforge.net/download.html

Threaded Messages (6)

2. ... and even an Object invoker! ... The Object invoker allows you

> to actually create and invoke your EJBs without writing a single line of
    > code.

I think this is a very good idea. Very good to see if something is working without write code.
      I wrote something like this myself.

Some questions about this feature :

- It works only on OpenEJB ? It is possible port it to another application server ? My implementation uses JSR 77 to get the EJBs info. This implementation does the same or it looks on proprietary informations ?

- How it return complex types (value objects, collections ...) ?
      - You can input complex types as parameters ?

- It can handle stateful session beans ?

Danilo.
  3. ... and even an Object invoker! ... The Object invoker allows you

> > to actually create and invoke your EJBs without writing a single line of
    > > code.
    >
    >   I think this is a very good idea. Very good to see if something is working > without write code.

I agree. It really cuts down in the why-doesn't-it work code that people normally have to write.

>   I wrote something like this myself.

Fantastic. This one is a graphical invoker, but I'd actually like to write several of these that are not, one for Telnet, XML-RPC, etc. Maybe we could collaborate.

>
    >   Some questions about this feature :
    >
    >   - It works only on OpenEJB ? It is possible port it to another application > server ? My implementation uses JSR 77 to get the EJBs info. This
    > implementation does the same or it looks on proprietary informations ?

Right, it's using the OpenEJB container API to get the full information. The EJBMetaData interface doesn't give one the ability to get the bean class (which is a good thing). Using JMX and JSR 77 would be better. That would be a very welcome addition if you are interested in working on that.

>   - How it return complex types (value objects, collections ...) ?

All return values are kept in a hashtable in the session unless you click the "discard object" button.

>   - You can input complex types as parameters ?

When you want to invoke a method that takes an object, a primary key class for example, it looks through all the objects in the hashtable and checks each one to see if it is a compatible type. A listbox of all the compatible objects is displayed (including 'null'), you just pick the one you want to be used.

>
    >   - It can handle stateful session beans ?

Anything. Stateful session beans, entity beans, etc. If this was a non-graphical object invoker, it would be really hard to handle stateful session beans, but it's really easy with a gui to just let someone invoke a create method on a home interface, then hand them the ejb object to invoke afterwards.

As mentioned, though, we do plan on writing several non-graphical invokers. There it would be pretty tricky to handle stateful session beans.

-David
  4. Object invoker[ Go to top ]

> This one is a graphical invoker, but I'd actually like to write several
    > of these that are not, one for Telnet, XML-RPC, etc. Maybe we
    > could collaborate.
    >

I created this simple object invoker because I want a way of invoke EJBs from a palm application (done with
    superwaba.
      It is very simple, it can only call remote interface methods on statelless session beans. But it works very well.
      After this I realize this is a convenient way of test ejb code.

You can download it using this URL :

http://www.floripa.com.br/XmlEjbAlpha.zip

It only works on JBoss (because of the use of JMX/JSR77), but you can get the idea.

Look on it, and say to me what do you think.

Danilo.
  5. Object invoker[ Go to top ]

I can't seem to download from the URL that you mentioned. Is it correct?

Regards,
    Alan
  6. Object invoker[ Go to top ]

Sorry, try again :

http://www.danilo.floripa.com.br/XmlEjbAlpha.zip
  7. Object invoker[ Go to top ]

And remember, this is alpha code, it was never my intention release this.
      So expect problems, it is not production ready. It is just a bit more than a prof of concept.
      Anyway, if Alan, David or another person has questions about this can found me on danilo at floripa dot com.br