Data Cache problem....

Discussions

General J2EE: Data Cache problem....

1. Data Cache problem.... (3 messages)

Hi,

I am developing an intranet application with weblogic 7.0 with a cluster enable. Here is the problem.

Frequently I want to access data from Oracle database. I want to cache the data that is not dynamic. I am talking about 100 records that are spread out in 4-5 tables. Data may change once in a while but not frequently.

I am thinking the following solutions let me know your thoughts.

Cache the data at the staring of the application in a collection. The down side of this approach is, if the data got changed in the database it won't reflect in the cache. I need to have a process to refresh the data. Since I have a cluster environment I need to find a way to refresh data in each of the managed server. Other solution is I can maintain the cache in the JNDI tree so that it can be available to all servers and easy to refresh.

I don't want to use Entity beans.

I'll be happy if you throw some light on this solution.

Thanks,
    Sreedhar

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Data Cache problem....[ Go to top ]

Hi Sreedhar,

I would suggest that you take a look at Tangosol's Coherence clustered caching product. Clustered cache access is ade through the java.util.Map interface and is made concurrently throughout the cluster by taking advantage of Coherence's cluster-wide locking.

Further, Coherence has the ability to configure caches as read-through, write-through or write-behind (i.e. asynchronous write-queues distributed across the cluster nodes). The one question I have is by "The down side of this approach is, if the data got changed in the database it won't reflect in the cache." do you mean that the DB values could be changed from outside your java application or just from within a different process within your java application?

Later,
    Rob Misek
    Tangosol Coherence: Cluster your Work. Work your Cluster.
    Coherence Forums.
  3. Data Cache problem....[ Go to top ]

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the information and try to look into that product. Answer to your question is, Yes DBA will be adding the data our side of the application once in a while.

Thanks,
    Sreedhar
  4. Data Cache problem....[ Go to top ]

Hi Sreedhar,

Feel free to email me at rmisek at tangosol.com to discuss this further.

Later,
    Rob Misek
    Tangosol Coherence: Cluster your Work. Work your Cluster.
    Coherence Forums.