Discussions

News: Pramati Releases Server 3.5, goes for 3rd round of VC funding

1. Pramati has released v3.5 of it's J2EE 1.3 certified appserver, with new features including a software load balancer/dispatcher, a dynamic content caching framework, and more. In a separate news item, it was reported that Pramati intends to go after a 3rd round of VC funding after completing it's current push for $5 million, to help boost it's business reach.

Pramati Enhances its J2EE Application Server with the Release of Pramati Server 3.5.

Pramati to go in for 3rd round of VC funding

Threaded Messages (41)

2. I hope you guys secure good funding and get more customers.
    All the best
  3. Pramati Application Server[ Go to top ]

Hi. Its really nice, and I am really feeling proud on you. Best of luck that you will achieve what you are expecting.

:)Roshan
  4. Pramati tour[ Go to top ]

Wow, the 3.5 version of Pramati looks very cool. The Management Console looks a lot better than Weblogic 8.1's console with neat graphs everywhere. http://pramati.com/product/server35/quicktour.htm go there for the Tour of the Console.

There is also a demo page that you can see here: http://demo.pramati.com/index.htm where you can see sample apps.

I think TSS should run pramati and jboss along with its other app servers.
  5. Pramati is very clean and neat[ Go to top ]

Wow,
       This looks cool and neat, I think big J2EE server talk show companies such as BEA should learn from Pramati, how to create product for excellency!!.
  6. Wow![ Go to top ]

<>This looks cool and neat, I think big J2EE server talk show companies such as BEA should learn from Pramati, how to create product for excellency!!.<>

BEA has 8500+ customers and if at all they go and learn further,small vendors may lose more customers to BEA!
  7. BEA has 8500+ customers and if at all they go and learn further,small vendors may lose more customers to BEA!

Well BEA is in the market for so many years now and so its bound to have 8500+ customers. But I can also say that they dont even have 10,000 customers after being so long in the market. So instead of coming out with new versions every 6 + months or so , BEA should look into putting more functionality and make some real version worthy enhancements like better admin console etc.
      And if you look at pramati, it just came into market may be 2 + years ago. And the kind of pricing and the kind of utilities they provide, along with the GUI editor etc - well its much better than BEA. All BEA has is just the name for its being the market for long and being in the US. Once Pramati gets name and fame , you will see who is the winner.

Happy Coding !!!
  8. Too Funny![ Go to top ]

The just love a fanboy response! It never ceases to amaze me that people think decisions like what appserver to use are driven by "technological superiority" and "new features".

Assuming that it's even true that Pramati *is* superior (which is questionable) this is *not* going to make a difference in the long run. Yes they will close some number of high profile deals but this (any) market will always be dominated by 2-3 large vendors a with number of small fish like Pramati, JBoss, Borland, Iona feeding at the fringe.

In large enterprises vendor decisions are based more on confidence in the vendor. The established players with market share / stability will almost always win over a small startup that is late to market and trying to get another round of funding.

Sorry but those are just the fact of life. You may not like it but it's true!
  9. Too Funny![ Go to top ]

Kent,
           You hit it correctly. Yes, Pramati may be good(??) and cheaper comparing with Weblogic and WebSphere.

But in IT departments, when a bank is trying to build something seriously, the decision is not entirely driven by cost. It takes a lot more than cost to close the deal.

Even the JBoss is totally free of cost. But it does not make me buying into their software.
  10. Too Funny! - yeah too - b(L)ond[ Go to top ]

Just to make banks consider Pramati also as one of the options, Pramati is trying for funding. BEA is on its way to close down soon ... U better tell your Bank to consider other options

Happy Coding !
  11. Although Pramati is known better for "technological superiority", there are strong business needs we address.

J2EE is being used in a wide variety of applications and not all of them can be served by "platform solutions" like BEA/IBM or open-source products like Tomcat/JBoss.

Pramati is ideal for the mid-market usage. This includes mid-sized companies, departments of large enterprises, and ISVs who have J2EE-based solutions. Apart from cost concerns, resources are constrained too. It is often assumed that "large enterprises are big spenders on technology and hence have lot of money for all projects", but that is not true in all situations. We often find that budgets for corporate applications and high visibility projects are big where as enterprises are frugal and price-sensitive when it comes to departmental and internal applications. Such projects don't have a big budgets for "consultants" and they don't possess technology expertise to make use of open-source products and need responsive vendor support.

The main value of Pramati in such mid-tier projects is high ease-of-use and reliability. Comprehensive set of development, deployment and management tools combined with high performance and scalability make Pramati Server good value for money.

Pramati's market focus, channels strategy, and strong regional brand will also help us succeed globally.

About the funding news, it is is not very accurate.

These are some links to our website on topics discussed here:
    Where Pramati fits in the enterprise:
    http://www.pramati.com/enterprise/index.htm
    Pramati's value for ISVs:
    http://www.pramati.com/isv/index.htm
    Why choose Pramati Server over BEA WebLogic:
    http://www.pramati.com/product/server35/white02.htm
    Pramati Server comparison with Tomcat:
    http://www.pramati.com/product/server35/why_webserver.htm

I invite everyone to try out Pramati Server 3.5. Our support team will be happy to assist during evaluation.

Thanks,
    Ashish Nangpal, Pramati
  12. Thanks for the clarification Ashok.
      Also dont let any stupid comments from anyone here to deter your aim of high standards and a good market cap.
      We all wish you success. We all need a good App server which provides great features and service and give some Big companies a run for their money.

Happy Coding !!
  13. my predictions[ Go to top ]

pramati is not even marketing itself as a solution for big enterprises- ebay like companies. It is marketing itself as a solution for smaller deployments.
    But my guess is they are going to be around for a while primarily becausethey will incur lower costs. 5 million in 3rd round funding is very less money for a company which can penetrate a 200 million market which will grow.

It looks like this round of funding is primarily to ramp up the marketing efforts in the us /europe region . Lets see what happens .
  14. Too Funny! - yes its funny[ Go to top ]

Dear Old cowboy,
      U just repeated what I said and still sound like dis agreeing with me.
    Its just that u got to sound different ( and so end up sounding stupid ). There are a lot of people like u on TSS. You are nothing new.

You said <br>
    In large enterprises vendor decisions are based more on confidence in the vendor. The established players with market share / stability will almost always win over a small startup that is late to market and trying to get another round of funding.

And I said the same that Pramati is late in the market and doesnt have a business reach thats why they are behind in the app server market.
      So dont try to show off ur stupidity .. I m not trying to market PRamati rather just like u said - thats a fact of life.

Happy coding !!
  15. Sean,

You said: "So instead of coming out with new versions every 6 + months or so , BEA should look into putting more functionality and make some real version worthy enhancements like better admin console etc."

I said: "It never ceases to amaze me that people think decisions like what appserver to use are driven by "technological superiority" and "new features"."

Which clearly means (to me) you think features and functionality are going to make the difference. What I was trying to say is that features and functionality are *not* going to make the difference.

We both agree Pramati is very late to the market. It's clear you think it can overcome this and that I don't think that's possible.

It's also very clear you're a Pramati fanboy and equally clear you don't like BEA. I'll leave it up to the people on TSS to decide who ended up looking stupid.
  16. I m not a fan of any app server. If u ask - I m fan of Tomcat and any other ( open source) Apache group products.
       At the same time I feel for better App servers who came late in market and although (to me ) they are better than a lot of existing OLD app servers, they cant increase the market cap. BEA was never ahead if they had not taken over web logic. BEA has a name (being old in market)- not at all being the best app server. Its no where near the best of the breed.
    I can apply same logic to Websphere also.
       And u can see this effect that oracle app server although backed by oracle corp. isnt able to make inroads to that much extent. Same applies to Pramati - it has to get some name as well as funding to spread its name.
       Also it seems like u r trying to defend BEA so much that i think u work for BEA or u r the real Fan boy of BEA.
    Whatever is the case, time will decide the future.

Happy coding !!
  17. BEA[ Go to top ]

Sean: BEA has a name (being old in market)- not at all being the best app server.

BEA as a company is only 8 years old. That's mighty young compared to Microsoft (30 years) or IBM (over 100 years).

FWIW - As far as being the "best" app server, everyone has a different opinion. Having used quite a few of the app server products out there, BEA consistently ranks at or near the top in every category that I'm interested in (IMHO). It's not perfect, but relatively speaking, it's pretty good.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  18. BEA is a company of 8 years old!!!! Really funny statement

I just wanted to think about a company like BEA without a situation in software industry where small vendors are not ready for sale!!!

Think this way
    If Bell lab and AT&T didn't have Tuxedo?
    If weblogic didn't have Weblogic application server?
    If some company(don't remember the name) in east coast didn't have portal and commerce server in 2000?
    If a Texas based company didn't have JAM?
    If somebody never thrown outside from Microsoft with the concept of workshop?
    If some company in Europe didn't have Jrockit JVM?

Then BEA is nothing but a company in China market San Francisco where their CEO is selling some Chinese goods.

By the way, one thing I am sure, if you ever got laid-off from BEA it is not easy to get a job in America. My ex regional manager is into the business of selling used computer. A gentleman used to make more than $ 200k in BEA's .com time.
  19. TQ, you're quite negative.

TQ: "I just wanted to think about a company like BEA without a situation in software industry where small vendors are not ready for sale!!!"

There are always small vendors for sale. We have had quite a few pitch their companies to us (to buy) even this year, and we aren't that big ourselves.

If BEA had the smarts to buy those companies and the ability to put them together into a bigger successful company, then good for them.

TQ: "By the way, one thing I am sure, if you ever got laid-off from BEA it is not easy to get a job in America. My ex regional manager is into the business of selling used computer. A gentleman used to make more than $ 200k in BEA's .com time."

And that's BEA's fault?

We get PhD-level resumes from Lucent, IBM labs, Raytheon, [unnamed competitors], and slews of dotcoms asking for engineering jobs for under $50k/year. These people were probably all making over $100k/year during the dotcom boom.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  20. BTW: I find this exchange amusing in a sick kind of way but I promise this is my last post in this thread.

Sean,

How can you come to the conclusion that I work for BEA? I never even mentioned them in any of my posts until this one? You were the one to mention BEA not me. In fact, both of your posts not only praised Pramati but disparaged BEA. I'll take you at face value that you are not a Pramati fan but you clearly are disparaging toward BEA.

If you want to substitute IBM for BEA I'd make the same arguments. BTW I'd even substitute Oracle as I feel they are the only other appserver vendor with a chance of being main stream (due to their installed market share of DB customers). This is of course totally my personal opinion.

I'll just repeat ... as much as people might not want it to be true ... it is HIGHLY unlikely that Pramati or any other commercial application server from companies other than the current top 3-4 market share leaders will ever be anything other than fringe players. In the long run these small fish are going to be squeezed by the comoditization of appservers caused by Open Source an system evolution. The low price vendors are killed by OSS and the big vendors will move on non-commodity items like portal servers, work flow, etc.

This does not imply that I like or dislike BEA, Pramati, IBM, Oracle or any other application server. I really could not care less. It's just cold hard product adoption historical trends. Perhaps this one time it will be different but ... I doubt it.
  21. i said either u work for bea or ....anyway I knew u will find one small thing in my statements and make a huge thing out of it.

Regarding the big fish vs. small fish, I guess i told you in my 2nd post that the whole point of this thread was to tell us that pramati is trying out for more share in the market and u on the other hand are just insisting that they would never grow ( in ur words they may - but u doubt it). In straight words that shows how much u care for pramati and how much u understand the whole meaning of this thread. ( forget abt what the difference in offering between bea and pramati - thats way too high for u to see )
        To be truthful based on market cap and the numbers BEA is financially very very shaky. It can also be taken over by anyone. So only stupids can call BEA a big fish. Its just old fish.
       I hate to post comments like this on the TSS board too, but i have this (stupid ?) thinking of trying to fix some fan/cow boys from the hood like you who have no clue abt what they talk abt, whats the topic or anything.

Waiting for BEA 9.1 in coming month. :)

Happy Coding !!!
  22. o.k. I lied[ Go to top ]

Sean,

I am of sorry I called you a fanboy and as a result incurred this total humiliation! It's now obvious just how smart you are and how stupid I am!
    I am surprised and grateful that you even take the time to gently educate an imbecile like me!

I formally apologize to you and all of TSS for my off topic responses. Thank you so very much for your insight on how off topic my comments were in a thread about Pramati going for more market share.

Kent "The Village Idiot" Mitchell

BTW How did you know BEA rejected my application to work there 30 times?
  23. o.k. I lied[ Go to top ]

Ok. I accept your apology.
    BEA should be able to tell you why they rejected you.
    I cant help you there. [ Maybe they were too busy with their new version rollout :) ]

Happy Coding !!
  24. All the best[ Go to top ]

<Mitchell>It's just cold hard product adoption historical trends. Perhaps this one time it will be different but ... I doubt it</>

Sean : I wish that your PR work for Pramati through your messages should help Pramati secure the next round of funding. All the best.

However,The above statement by Mitchell is a hard reality..

Happy funding!

AB
  25. All the best - thnaks a lot[ Go to top ]

Thank you. I tried my best to defend some stupid thinkers - specially who seem to talk about **HARD reality**. Why use big words when you can talk straight. You guys dont have a clue about hard reality.
    <br>
    If my simple comments seem like PR work for you then that reflects how you think. I cant help you. I dont know whats wrong in being positive and wishing all the best to Pramati.

Happy coding !!
  26. HARD reality[ Go to top ]

<>Thank you. I tried my best to defend some stupid thinkers - specially who seem to talk about **HARD reality**. Why use big words when you can talk straight. You guys dont have a clue about hard reality. </>

How do you know I have no clue about a *Hard reality*? Your assumptions indicate your shallowness.. and your writings refelct the same pretty much.

<>I dont know whats wrong in being positive and wishing all the best to Pramati. </>

To me it pretty much looks like a PR /Evangealism.
  27. HARD reality[ Go to top ]

Yes A B
  28. HARD reality[ Go to top ]

Yes A B

But it is also true and quite evident that you indulge in the same thing though in a more negative (and focussed) sense

For whatever its worth - Pramati should be congratulated for being around in the market where even other big guys have exited! I for one would not want them to fail!

Arun
  29. Hard reality[ Go to top ]

<>"But it is also true and quite evident that you indulge in the same thing though in a more negative (and focussed) sense "</>

This is what competitors do..
  30. Hard Reality[ Go to top ]

"If people go by ur thoughts then Linux should be stopped from being developed or marketed as people will always prefer Solaris ( or may be windows ) over a largly open source Linux. If there are more people like you then open source will come to halt after some time."

Did I ever say not to adopt Linux or JBoss or Tomcat? Agin I cant help you with your assumptions.you aeem to be a blind Idiot. Go check out my postings on Opensource related messages..

AB
  31. Hard Reality[ Go to top ]

Listen you stupd A b c or D

You are saying that Pramati like app servers are not going to be preferred over BEA like servers because being late in market and dont have the business reach,
       I m applying the same stupid ridicules logic of yours to app servers which are being introduced late in the market than BEA - which is Tomcat, JBOSS etc. And the smae things applies to linus - the latest OS in the market. So please stop being a pain in the ass jack ass. You know that you are completely wrong and trying to just show off your stupidity.
       We all know how people like you are anti social for the TSS community. I m sure you are one of those frustated people who are not liked by anyone in the team because of this big ego and not admitting to being wrong or a pain for the community.

Happy coding @@ ( except to you )
    p.s. Forgot to tell you stupid what everything here is a PR for pramati even if it doesnt say so. I know ur slow to understand. so making it clear.
    Go see a doctor freak.
  32. Hard reality[ Go to top ]

This is what competitors do..

Well AB then please do not have this holier than thou attitude....accept that Pramati is causing pain to you ;-)

Hope others get motivated to start more such efforts from India.

Arun
  33. HARD reality[ Go to top ]

Hey A B
    How do you know I have no clue about a *Hard reality*? Your assumptions indicate your shallowness.. and your writings refelct the same pretty much.

Because BEA being preferred over other servers is not the truth( although u think so ). A looooooooot of companies have chosen JBOSS, tomcat and my sql over BEA or Websphere. And there is a good chance that they would prefer Pramati over BEA / IBM too. So dont tell me whats the hard reality.
    And thats when I aid you guys reallllyy absolutely dont have any idea of reality.
    You are just pissed being told the truth about yourself. I feel sorry for you and your thoughts. You are one crook taking the whole meaning out of the real aim of this thread and you are talking about hard reality.
       If people go by ur thoughts then Linux should be stopped from being developed or marketed as people will always prefer Solaris ( or may be windows ) over a largly open source Linux. If there are more people like you then open source will come to halt after some time. You just want to be amazed by new versions of commercial severs and not accept a good cheap open source or commercial server. I hope there are not many of likes of you.
    And if it still sounds like a PR for pramati - go see a doctor.

Happy coding @@
  34. Pramati is very clean and neat[ Go to top ]

you can tell that a product is excellent just by looking at a couple of screenshots ?

everybody knows your just full of sour grapes about bea, give it a rest and start working on your debug code or something :). , man that was hilarious, you lost any technical credibility right there and then in that thread
  35. Market segment[ Go to top ]

<>"J2EE is being used in a wide variety of applications and not all of them can be served by "platform solutions" like BEA/IBM or open-source products like Tomcat/JBoss. Ashish Naipul. Pramati</>

Naipul: Being in Application server business, You better check out the ISV and customer profiles of BEA,IBM,JBoss,Tomcat,Resin so forth.They all serve a significant GLOBAL ISV and enterprise segments! You may find this in the customer and ISV partner links of these companies..

I believe Tomcat,Jboss,Resin,Jetty are already serving a major part of global SME segment.
  36. Management console[ Go to top ]

"you can tell that a product is excellent just by looking at a couple of screenshots ?"

I happen a home robot's 'Monitoring Control' panel in Japan as good as the control panel of Boeing 747.Great Cosmetic stuff doesnt make home robot syetems equivalent to 747 controls.

In our evaluation, Pramatti management console is a pretty 'heavy' stuff.
  37. A B

<<I happen a home robot's 'Monitoring Control' panel in Japan as good as the control panel of Boeing 747.Great Cosmetic stuff doesnt make home robot syetems equivalent to 747 controls. In our evaluation, Pramatti management console is a pretty 'heavy' stuff>>

Could not really understand what you meant in your first line...however..having tried Pramati's management console ourselves for one of a large scale enterprise project, we and our client found this to be pretty neat stuff. No offence meant but - maybe the application/s you tried the management console are really the basic ones thus making the console look and feel heavy.

My team found this a great tool to demonstrate important system / application statistics to our client.

Though I would not say that Pramati is necessarily better than BEA, one need not deride a great feature without testing it out fully.

Arun
  38. Management console[ Go to top ]

<Arun>Could not really understand what you meant in your first line...however..having tried Pramati's management console ourselves ..
    </Arun>

What I meant was there should be a balance struck between what an 'Application server' has to offer and its monitoring console.The complexity of a J2EE server suite has to be rightly matched in terms of its instrumentation.Overdose of cosmetic stuff in management console doesn't make an Application server offer a USP to endusers specifically from a usability viewpoint.
  39. BEA never going to sell their product for a couple of 000 s per CPU. BEA never believed in quality of real software engineers, they always used the idea of "buying old car and repaint it with BEA label". They don't even have a product to claim as build inside BEA. Other side of the story Primati is completly build by indian software engineers atleast having a 4 year degree in technology. It is a matter of time to know the reality Pramati is far better than BEA
  40. jelmer kuperus what an idiot you are!!![ Go to top ]

I didn't challange BEA on their debug approach. if you ever got such a sense from my comments on their debug approach it is your dad's problems. May be his DNA have some problems to response to commonsense. I know very clear that BEA is using the same debug approach in last number if years. I questioned the efficiency of their debug approach. Also I have mentioned a number of points on portal server, Jam and other disturbing problems in WLS itself. So you better go and do something which make sure that you have job other than just playing with me.
  41. Here we go again[ Go to top ]

Hi T Q, nice to see you back on theserverside. I remember you from a previous thread that we had. You and I were debating some topic or other... and then all of a sudden you launched into a conversation that described what a handsome Indian you were. You also mentioned that you had several lady friends, one of whom her name was Bambi or something. You ended off by commenting that americans were stupid and indians were smart.

In essence, everything in India is good, everything in America is bad.

And we're supposed to take your advice?!??!? Go back to Bombay.

~C
  42. Okay Pramati is not as big as BEA or IBM.
    And being backed by a big vendor would add credibility.
    I think this makes Pramati an attractive target for acquisition.