Discussions

News: Microsoft to Extend Java in Windows to Sept. 2004

1. Microsoft to Extend Java in Windows to Sept. 2004 (8 messages)

Microsoft was meant to to be taking out their JVM at the end of 2003. However, Microsoft and Sun put out a joint statement that they would extend that by 10 months to Sept. 30, 2004.

"We've put our differences aside since we've heard from customers that they would like a little more time as they are in the process of migrating," said Chris Jones, Microsoft's vice president of the Windows client division.

The two companies said that one of the main issues concerning customers and software vendors is the ability to preserve software security during the transition so that hackers won't get a chance to exploit software flaws.

Read Microsoft to Extend Java in Windows to Sept. 2004

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Microsoft was meant to to be taking out their JVM at the end of 2003. However, Microsoft and Sun put out a joint statement that they would extend that by 10 months to Sept. 30, 2004.

>
    > "We've put our differences aside since we've heard from customers that they would like a little more time as they are in the process of migrating," said Chris Jones, Microsoft's vice president of the Windows client division.
    >
    > The two companies said that one of the main issues concerning customers and software vendors is the ability to preserve software security during the transition so that hackers won't get a chance to exploit software flaws.
    >
    > Read Microsoft to Extend Java in Windows to Sept. 2004
  3. What non-techie wrote this ???[ Go to top ]

"Microsoft and Sun have shifted their development efforts into next-generation standards for delivering software and services over the Internet. Microsoft's .NET initiative is going head-to-head with Sun's J2EE platform and other standards."

So SUN has shifted away from Java into next-generation J2EE ?

Can we mark this entire article as Noisy ?
  4. "Microsoft and Sun have shifted their development efforts into next-generation

> standards for delivering software and services over the Internet. Microsoft's
    > .NET initiative is going head-to-head with Sun's J2EE platform and other
    > standards."
    >
    > So SUN has shifted away from Java into next-generation J2EE ?
    >
    > Can we mark this entire article as Noisy ?

Er... read it again. He said that both MS and Sun shifted their efforts into next-generation standards (web services, distributed components, whatever), not that Sun will turn into .NET.
  5. "Microsoft and Sun have shifted their development efforts into next-generation

> > standards for delivering software and services over the Internet. Microsoft's
    > > .NET initiative is going head-to-head with Sun's J2EE platform and other
    > > standards."
    > >
    > > So SUN has shifted away from Java into next-generation J2EE ?
    > >
    > > Can we mark this entire article as Noisy ?
    >
    > Er... read it again. He said that both MS and Sun shifted their efforts into next-generation standards (web services, distributed components, whatever), not that Sun will turn into .NET.

??? I didn't say anything about Sun turning into .NET

The artical says that "...Sun have shifted their development efforts into next-generation standards... Sun's J2EE platform..."

shifted to me implies that the author thinks that they are shifting AWAY from Java to J2EE and doesn't understand that they are related.

This is confirmed by the fact that earlier in the artical he quotes MS as saying the reason for this is to give customers more time to migrate their apps.
  6. I am using Java and was thinking about focusing more on Java related
    to the J2EE platform. This may be a stupid question, but if Microsoft is
    taking out support for JVM in their operating system. Does this mean
    I am wasting my time using Java. If 90 percent of the operating systems
    don't support it.

I would appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Mike
  7. RE: Question about Microsoft extension[ Go to top ]

Don't worry. As the JVM supported by Windows is a very old version, which has a lot of limitations. Today, most of the java application and all the J2EE application can't run under this JVM, instead they need a java plugin or later version of JDK to run it. The only

I believe there are more and more people will install JVM from sun which supports latest Java specification.
  8. Thanks jianwu[ Go to top ]

I like Java and J2EE as a platform, and would like to focus more of
    my attention on it. It is nice to know, it will be around.

Thanks Again

Mike Power
  9. oops sorry