Discussions

News: Sun pushes ahead with Java Enterprise and Desktop Systems

1. Sun has released their Java Enterprise System, and Java Desktop Systems. Sun's Java Enterprise System, a package of tightly bundled server software (Network services, Web/Application services, Collaboration/Portal services, and more), is available now for $100 per employee. The Java Desktop System has also been released, and Project Rave has been named "Java Studio Creator".

SUN's Java Enterprise System will be available free for companies with 99 or fewer employees, though the price doesn't include the training or software migration services that come with the $100-per-employee-per-year version.

Java Enterprise System Includes:

Network Identity Services: Directory Server, Identity Server, Directory Proxy Server

Web and Application Services: Application Server Platform/Standard Edition, Message Queue Enterprise Edition, Java System Web Server

Collaboration and Communication Services: Messaging Server, Calendar Server, Instant Messaging

Portal Services: Portal Server, Secure Remote Access

Availability Services: Sun Java System Cluster

News
    ====

Sun pushes Java software with new pricing

Java Desktop System Golden Master Review

Sun To Offer Java Bundle On Other Unix, Windows Platforms

Sun Java Studio Creator home page
  2. There is no mention of the application server enterprise edition in the press releases or website.

So according the now synced releases of Sun that would mean 04 Q1 release?

No clustering until then for $100 per employee :-(

Is doesn't seem to be a reverse proxy load balancer and cache in the stack at all.

There is no database in the stack for small/medium business to deploy. Oracles new Oracle Standard Edition One license could cover that or Open Source.

I would like to see a complete integrated and supported infrastructure for the $100 as that’s how they pitch it.

Still, $100 is v.good.
  3. There is no mention of the application server enterprise edition in the press releases or website.

>
    > So according the now synced releases of Sun that would mean 04 Q1 release?
    >
    > No clustering until then for $100 per employee :-(
    >
    > Is doesn't seem to be a reverse proxy load balancer and cache in the stack at all.

Actually the article was a little misleading. The current release includes the right to use Sun Java System Application Server 7 Enterprise Edition though it isn't part of the physical distribution.

The right to use will be dependent on qualifying through Sun's application server customer sucess program and requires the purchase of premium level support for Java Enterprise System.

Obviously future versions of the Java Enterprise System will include a fully integrated App Server Enterprise Edition. The Enterprise Edition also includes a load balancer plugin. Both theapp server and web server provide highly configurable content caching.

Rich Sharples
    Java Web Services & Tools
    Sun Micorsystems
  4. Let's Rebrand Rave To Lollipop[ Go to top ]

Allow me to comment on the upcoming "Rave" disaster. I don't want to spoil the party, but "Rave" isn't going anywhere. To better state what's it all about why not rebrand "Rave" to "Lollipop".

If Sun truly wants you to do more with less (lines of code) and increase your productivity than a clicky-clicky thingy is the wrong direction.

Why not drop the 10000 % Java doctrine and embrace scripting languages and next-gen XML markup languages for rich UIs, for example?

Check out XUL @ http://xul.sourceforge.net or Groovy @ http://groovy.codehaus.org for example to see how you can do more with less without a click-athon orgy.
  5. Let's Rebrand Rave To Lollipop[ Go to top ]

I just won a $20 bet. I bet that one of the two replies to this thread would be from you! Thanks!
  6. If the enterprise stuff is actually all written in Java, then
    the name may be OK.

But why should "SUN Linux" carry the Java name ?

I am afraid that it will confuse both the Java people and
    the SUN people.