BEA leads dualnode SPECJAppServer2002 with new results

Discussions

News: BEA leads dualnode SPECJAppServer2002 with new results

1. BEA submitted a new SpecjAppServer2002 benchmark number running BEA WebLogic 8.1sp2 on HP hardware, in the dualnode category. BEA's WebLogic JRockit JVM was used, running on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition 64-bit with an Itanium 2 chipset. MS SQL Server was used as the database.

BEA now leads the dualnode category in performance with 1305.04 total operations per second (TOPS) with a price/performance of $218.28/TOPS. Compare these numbers to Oracle's 431.26 (TOPS), and 160.62 (US$ / TOPS).

It is very interestin to see that Itanium 2 is looking a real alternative to RISC processors.
    Also, BEA has the JVM and app server optimized to the point that the 64 bit stack is making sense.

You can view all the results at:
    http://www.spec.org/osg/jAppServer2002/results/jAppServer2002.html

You can view the details on this result at:
    http://www.spec.org/osg/jAppServer2002/results/res2004q1/jAppServer2002-20040130-00021.html

In related news

BEA just reported on their fourth quarter and fiscal year financial results. Their annual revenue tops $1 billion and Q4 license revenue grows 12% over Q3.

Read their press release

Threaded Messages (7)

2. It would be interesting to see same hardware configuration with Linux.

All fine with results, but with all those windows code floating around on the internet, i think that does not creates a much interest :)
  3. Weblogic 8.1 and JRockit[ Go to top ]

We have seen a significant improvement running Weblogic 8.1 sp2 on Redhat Linux AE. 3.0.
    I wish posix thread was fully support in JRockit 1.4.1 sp2 . Will Weblogic SP3 fully support posix thread ?
  4. Weblogic 8.1 and JRockit[ Go to top ]

there is a seperate jdk1.4.2 for jrocket.

try that one and let us know it went?
  5. Itanium 2 and JRockit rocks![ Go to top ]

I suppose that these very good results are mainly due Itanium 2 and JRockit JVM and how it is optimized for Itanium.

MC
  6. Itanium and JRockit rocks![ Go to top ]

Sure, the processor is important. But it's also important how the resources are utilized.

It looks like there are three factors here:

1. JRockit is the man! From what I know, it's been co-developed with Intel and is deeply optimized for IA 32/64. May be that's why even Oracle has been using it for its benchmarks lately (I wonder if the next step is IBM using JRockit - would be funny)

2. The general level of resource utilization in WebLogic Server I think is the best. With all the performance enhancement work that I've seen with 8.1, it really rocks.

3. The cost - Oracle's 3-year lic. are bogus - a benchmark special. So, if you account for that, and do some apples-to-apples comparison, BEA really has the lowest TCO. That's what my clients have been liking the most, not even the performance.

So, if it was just the CPU, why don't all the other players just refresh their submissions to run on Itanium? By the way, BEA aslo holds the record in the multi-node category... and also on Itanium, even though their next best result on PA-RISC is not much lower (but a little more expensive, though).

My little analysis...
    G.
  7. to save some time..[ Go to top ]

SQL Server only 3 times as fast as Oracle? The most be something wrong with the test. Probably BEA was paid by Oracle! "Anyhow SQL Server is only suited for departmental servers and is full of security holes anyhow".

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  8. to save some time..[ Go to top ]

SQL Server only 3 times as fast as Oracle? The most be something wrong with the test. Probably BEA was paid by Oracle! "Anyhow SQL Server is only suited for departmental servers and is full of security holes anyhow".

>
    > Regards
    > Rolf Tollerud

http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp?resulttype=noncluster

Regards,
    Horia