Discussions

General J2EE: Why Java Bean is called "Java Bean"?

1. Why Java Bean is called "Java Bean"? (5 messages)

Why Java Bean is called "Java Bean" and not Java class or any other? Is there any specific reason to call Java Bean a "Java Bean"?
  2. Not every Java class is a Java Bean. To qualify as a Java Bean, a class must:

1) Be Serializable.
    2) Have a no-parameter constructor.
    3) Have getters and setters.

As for why the name "Java Bean" and not something a little less silly-sounding, you would have to ask Sun marketing about that :)
  3. Thanks Paul Strack, actually that is the question asked by one of the interviewer, I replied in the way you had given but he asked Why is it called Java Bean, any specific reason? hence I posted that query. Once again I thank for your prompt reply.
  4. It can be pretty difficult sometimes to figure out what an interviewer is looking for from a particular question. Sometimes the interviewer has very particular ideas about "standard" Java concepts, based on the development methodologies of the company you are interviewing with.
  5. Bean = component[ Go to top ]

Hi Lakshmi,

That's a silly question for an interviewer to ask, to make it about why it's called what it's called. When I was interviewing for a job once, the interviewer asked me what my favorite Java class was!

Anyway, the best explanation I can muster up is a JavaBean is a sort of component to a larger system, just like a single bean of coffee is a component to a larger bag of coffee grounds.

That's a reach, yeah... but I'm not a coffee drinker. :-) I prefer to get my caffeine from sources like Coke, Jolt, and BAWLZ.

-- Joe
  6. Java is coffee. Coffee comes from coffee beans. Hence the term "Java Bean".

I like coffee. I believe coffee is responsible for a large percentage of the productivity gains over the past decade. The Java language has also made developers more productive. As a matter of fact, I'm drinking coffee today as I write my Java code!