TSS Book Review: Covert Java

Discussions

News: TSS Book Review: Covert Java

1. TSS Book Review: Covert Java (8 messages)

TSS has published a review of the new book by Alex Kalinovsky, "Covert Java: Techniques for Decompiling, Patching, and Reverse Engineering". Kalinovsky attempts to delve into the backend and internals of Java programs while showing examples readers can use in their own work.
    "Covert Java reminds me of the computer books from the early 1990s. It is chock full of recommendations for commercial, free, and open source tools. In many cases the author provides decent tutorials on how to use many of these tools and includes screenshots of the tools in action. Maybe it's the old 1990s feel that ingratiates me to this book, but most probably it's the fact that there are certain gems of knowledge hidden in the better chapters..."
    Read the Book Review for Covert Java

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Related thread[ Go to top ]

http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=25644
  3. TSS Book Review: Covert Java[ Go to top ]

There are some glaring omissions in the book, such as the total lack of explanation on how to read a thread dump, but I'm hoping the 2nd edition will cover these mistakes. So should you buy this book? Yes. I give it 7 out of 10 stars.
    Will buy the 2nd edition, then.

SCNR, Lars :)
  4. TSS Book Review: Covert Java[ Go to top ]

<blockquoteWill buy the 2nd edition, thenMight be a good idea to buy the first edition if you want there to be a second edition--or more books about the same topic :-)
  5. TSS Book Review: Covert Java[ Go to top ]

Might be a good idea to buy the first edition if you want there to be a second edition--or more books about the same topic :-)
    Actually, there are a few books coming up that deal with Reflection: "Hardcore Java", "Reflection in Action", and another I do not remember. I just thought it funny of the reviewer to express his/her hopes that any shortcomings of "Covert Java" will be fixed in a 2nd edition, as that has nothing to do with the edition reviewed.

Cheers,
    Lars
  6. TSS Book Review: Covert Java[ Go to top ]

It is chock full of recommendations for commercial, free, and open source tools. In many cases the author provides decent tutorials on how to use many of these tools and includes screenshots of the tools in action.
    So what you're buying is a catalogue of tools that were out when the chapter on them was written?

Combined with the wish that the shortcomings will be fixed in a second edition that doesn't sound like a book to buy, more like a fat sales brochure to give away?
  7. TSS Book Review: Covert Java[ Go to top ]

I'm not sure what you mean. The book is not just a 'sales brochure'. While it has some links on which tools to use, there is nothing immensely wrong with that. I would have not known about the ODD if it were not for this book. Every page or chapter of the book does not exude pearls of wisdom, but there are many essential tips and tricks in there. Just like anything else, I'm happy to get *something* good out of a lecture or book. If the book was $40+, this would be a huge problem, but in the mid-$20 range, it's pretty good.
  8. I bought it[ Go to top ]

The book is so cheap that I just bought it (from superbooks via amazon).

If you had a drink with your friends and discussed this subject then the drinks would cost more than the book. Hopefully the book has more info than my friends ;-)
  9. I bought it[ Go to top ]

The book is so cheap that I just bought it (from superbooks via amazon).If you had a drink with your friends and discussed this subject then the drinks would cost more than the book. Hopefully the book has more info than my friends ;-)
    Let me know if you think Decompiling Java is any better.