Discussions

News: Hibernate In Action Goes Into Production - Chapter Posted on TSS

1. The Hibernate In Action (Manning) book-in-review, by Gavin King and Christian Bauer, has gone into production and will be on shelves this August. The authors would like to thank TSS members for their invaluable feedback, and have provided a sample chapter from the finished book, which teaches you about the core Hibernate APIs and how to configure Hibernate in various runtime environments.

Download Introducing and integrating Hibernate

Threaded Messages (22)

2. Congratulations![ Go to top ]

Big congrats to Gavin, Christian and all involved. I've been told that writing books is not as much fun as writing software. "Good on ya!" for sticking with it. ;-)

I hope this book will go a long way to help grow the Hibernate community, and improve the overall understanding of Hibernate, ORM and relational databases access in general.

Best regards,
    Clinton Begin
  3. COngratulations to all the Hibernate team.
    It is a great project and an example to follow.

I Visited manning and there are not news about this.
    I hope that it is only a little mistake from manning.

Kind Regards
  4. The first four chapters are available via the Manning Early Access Program. See the link from hibernate.org (obviously you have to pay to get access to the chapters early).
  5. What is TSS?[ Go to top ]

I actually don't know what TSS is? ^^
    Is there anyone let me know?
  6. What is TSS?[ Go to top ]

The Server Side :)
  7. Great book[ Go to top ]

Finally a great book. I was so excited for the event that I've bought the book on-line with Manning MEAP. I am waiting the next chapters soon (I am stopped at the 4th).
    It's a very interisting book and I wish a next.
    I am suggesting to my collegues.

Bye.
  8. I'd like to add my congratulations too - well done!
  9. congratulations!
    I allready own a copy of "hibernate a developers notebook" but I may well get myself a copy of this one as well, since it seems to covers hibernate quite a bit more in depht.
    The notebook is more like a really nice and well written introduction, not the bible I hope this one to be
  10. Congratulations from Cayenne![ Go to top ]

Joining others in congratulating Christian, Gavin and the Hibernate project!

You guys are the ones who broke through the wall of ignorance of "EJB over JDBC" and took ORM to the mainstream.

It was probably Java immaturity, or maybe its original focus on competing with C++, but it took way too long to bring proven ORM design that was so successful in SmallTalk and Objective C to the Java masses. Java ports of TOPLink or EOF that were available for years didn't change anything, however an open source project did. Makes you wonder ;-)

Andrus
  11. Congratulations, Christian and Gavin[ Go to top ]

I know that this one has been a difficult one to write, especially with all of the other changes in the Hibernate project. I wish you great success.

-bt
  12. Guys, make sure you post a link (amazon.com maybe?) when it becomes available .. congratulations, and it'll definitely be on my list.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  13. This book is a good help[ Go to top ]

Being new to hibernate and try to get into it in a short time, the first 4 chapters i got from Manning EAP as pdf was a great help. Many things that was be in question for me from reading the normal doc's is now more clear!
    Well done by the authors.
    I think also the EAP Program is a good thing. Getting the info without waitng for the print (esp. here in germany) is great!
  14. so how long do we have to wait untill the book hits the store shelves?

if we buy the eap+print version from manning directly will we get it before it hits store shelves?
  15. Thanks guys! We hope that you will find new and exciting ideas and practices about ORM in this book. We spent man months writing it, and more importantly, thinking about object persistence problems and how to best solve them. I believe that this book is not only a Hibernate "bible", but also the first and (almost) complete guide to object/relational mapping in Java. Enjoy :)

(Still busy finishing the demo app website and source...)
  16. I will buy it as soon as it is released.

Its much more convenient to read a good book instead of searching for tutorials or searching forums for the answers.
  17. thanks[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the comments guys!

Wow, writing a book is really *Hard*, it's great to finally get to the end ;-)
  18. thanks[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the comments guys!Wow, writing a book is really *Hard*, it's great to finally get to the end ;-)
    Congrats, the book sounds like it's going to be very useful. I might bundle it into an order with O' Reillys Tuning SQL :-)
  19. Hi Gavin and all.

Congratulations.
      I will put this information on Hibernate Orkut community to and I will buy the book as soon as it is released.
      I take this moment to invite all to join on Hibernate Orkut community.
  20. what is hibernate orkut community??
    any links to it??
    Hi Gavin and all.  Congratulations.  I will put this information on Hibernate Orkut community to and I will buy the book as soon as it is released.  I take this moment to invite all to join on Hibernate Orkut community.
  21. Invite Me To Orkut[ Go to top ]

Hi Gavin and all.  Congratulations.  I will put this information on Hibernate Orkut community to and I will buy the book as soon as it is released.  I take this moment to invite all to join on Hibernate Orkut community.
    Please invite me to orkut. My email is petercvms at yahoo dot com Thanks
  22. Congratulations,...[ Go to top ]

from Frankfurt to Gavin and Christian. I can hardly imagine how hard it must be to write a book. I cannot wait to get this one at amazon or somewhere else!
    Thanks for your hard work, it's highly appreciated.
  23. Congratulations,...[ Go to top ]

from Frankfurt to Gavin and Christian. I can hardly imagine how hard it must be to write a book. I cannot wait to get this one at amazon or somewhere else!Thanks for your hard work, it's highly appreciated.
    And congratulations from Belgium. For sure that book will be a bestseller in Europe. Now it's also available for pre-order on amazon.fr (it's been a bit long). I've ordered it and will speak about it to many developers around me :-)