Discussions

News: SpiritSoft delivers SpiritCache 4.0 with Business Rules

1. SpiritSoft today announced SpiritCache™ version 4.0 with business rules-based caching technology, enabling enterprises to improve customer service, reduce network and database costs, and efficiently allocate system resources. It is the first caching solution to combine the reliability of enterprise messaging with the flexibility of an embedded rules engine to respond more quickly to shifting market needs. This unique combination of embedded rules and object caching enables businesses to better allocate network and data resources to provide the right service level to the most profitable customers.

SpiritCache 4.0 is a distributed, hierarchical data caching solution that intelligently distributes and manages application data across all tiers of the enterprise. Using an embedded rules engine, SpiritCache enables IT departments to dynamically configure caching strategies and assign resources based on changing business requirements – without modifying the application logic. Application service levels can then be segmented to the business value of each customer, providing the best user experience and system reliability to its most profitable segment of customers.

SpiritCache utilizes automatic memory sizing with rules-based eviction policies. System administrators can prioritize user categories and apply business rules to align system resources and reallocate memory accordingly. When memory requirements ebb and flow, prioritized system resources can grow or decrease as needed.

Businesses currently deployed with SpiritCache are experiencing network traffic cuts of 90 percent or more. In addition, network and database cost savings have been realized as a result of applications sharing existing resources or through the reduction of hardware and related software. By such methods, existing users of SpiritCache have achieved eight-fold returns on their investment.

“SpiritSoft embedded a rules engine into its popular object caching product to meet the business requirements of several existing customers, who are deploying the business rules engine for a broad range of applications,” said Robert Davies, Chief Technology Officer for SpiritSoft. “One investment bank will specify different time-to-live data strategies in order to meet its new auditing requirement guidelines, and by using SpiritCache 4.0, it can do this without the need to purchase additional hardware or rewrite the application when the guidelines change. This is just one of the many possible applications for using business rules to cache preloading and eviction policies, which will clearly provide a strong return on investment for our customers.”

Other customers deploying SpiritCache with an embedded rules engine include a major retail bank that will automatically preload checking and savings account information for high value customers who log into their retirement accounts. Additionally, an online retail customer is segmenting its product availability based on customer purchasing history, enabling it to preload a greater volume of product choices for high volume customers.

SpiritCache 4.0 is built entirely on open-standards and integrates seamlessly with leading application servers and messaging systems from BEA, IBM, HP, SUN, TIBCO, JBOSS, Sonic and others. SpiritCache 4.0 provides the highest reliability in session management, data caching and page caching.

SpiritCache 4.0 features include:

• Rules-based Preloading: Causes specific data to be loaded in the cache ahead of time for specific customers based on business requirements.
    • Rules-based Cache Eviction: Gives certain data or users priority over others in the cache, allowing the best performance to be provided for the most important data or most valued customers.
    • Non-Intrusive Memory Sizing: Automatic memory management.
    • Transitive Preloading: Loads related data when a user logs in.
    • Cache Query Language: Query entries in the cache using SQL like expressions
    • N-Tier Caching: Reduces database load and client latency. Caching can be performed at any tier including the data service tier, application server, web tier, or client tier.
    • Guaranteed Delivery: Data delivery is guaranteed to every user regardless of how remote.
    • Automatic Failover

The cost of SpiritCache begins at $1,995 per CPU and will be available in August, 2004. An evaluation version of SpiritCache is available for download at: http://www.spiritsoft.com/download_files/abstract.asp?id=kit_cache20
  2. Well I thought I'd take a look at it but SpiritSoft's web server seems to be down, how the caching working guys? :-)

I'd be interested to see how this stacks up against Tangosol's Coherence, strangely the price is identical per CPU.

Cameron, any comments?

-John-
  3. Hi John,

You are trying to get me in trouble again, I see .. ;-)

Actually, I do have a couple of comments. In addition to a warm "Congratulations!" to them on the upcoming release, I would also like to add that SpiritSoft is now an active member of JSR 107 (JCache,) and an active contributor. I and the rest of the expert group greatly appreciate their involvement, and feel that the Java caching world is a healthy market thanks to the involvement of companies such as SpiritSoft. While there's lots of competition in this space, it's obviously good for the consumers of the technology to have various commercial and open source products available to choose from. It's also good for our overall Java/J2EE marketplace to have such a diversity of solutions available.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    [normally I'd put some sort of link here]
  4. Thanks Cameron - I'll try and buy you a beer next week ...
  5. The site fine - maybe you'd like to try it again?

SpiritCache has been around longer than coherence, and arcitecturally quite different. The underlying transport is based on JMS, and SpiritCache by default ships with a discovery based peer-to-peer JMS implementation called Jungle. As well as the rules based pre-loading and fine grained eviction, something new in this release is the capability to size caches by memory usage, rather than number of objects in the Cache.

Just in case anybody wonders - John and I are not related, we just both share the same misfortune of having fairly common name.
  6. SpiritCache has been around longer than coherence, and arcitecturally quite different. The underlying transport is based on JMS, and SpiritCache by default ships with a discovery based peer-to-peer JMS implementation called Jungle.
    what are the benefits of underlying trasport being JMS? does it perform better? even though it comes with its own built in JMS impl (Jungle), doesn't it make people feel that SpiritCache has dependency on a JMS? do people like the fact that it uses JMS as its transport?

congrats,

-talip
  7. Remember that JMS is a client-side API, the strength comes in the implementation. Although we provide Jungle as the default, by using JMS internally within our caching product has allowed us deploy installations into production not only on Jungle, but MqSeries, Tibco, SpiritWave, Sonic etc. Some adminstrators are happier only using one MOM within their infrastructure, so using JMS just enables that choice.