M7 Debuts NitroX for JavaServer Pages

Discussions

News: M7 Debuts NitroX for JavaServer Pages

1. M7 Debuts NitroX for JavaServer Pages (13 messages)

NitroX for JSP is available for Eclipse 2.1 and 3.0 as well as IBM WSAD and WSSD 5.1.x. Key benefits include the following: Advanced JSP Debugging, Intelligent Context Sensitive JSP Source Editor, and a Visual JSP Editor.

Press Release
    M7® Debuts NitroX™ for JavaServer Pages™
    M7 Delivers Comprehensive JSP Debugging, Simultaneous Source and Visual JSP Development

CUPERTINO, CA – July 28, 2004 – M7 Corporation, Inc., the leader in web application development tools based on open source and open standard technologies, today introduced NitroX for JSP. NitroX for JSP was created to be the most comprehensive tool to meet the needs of Java™ developers building Java Server Pages (JSP)-based web applications. As open source and open standard technologies have continued to proliferate, a number of development trends are emerging:

• Java based web applications predominantly use JSP as the primary user interface technology for web applications

• Debugging JSPs is one of the biggest problems facing developers

• Over 50% of Java developers use an Eclipse-based IDE as their development environment

M7 NitroX for JSP expands the NitroX product family by adding a solution for JSP developers, and follows the highly acclaimed NitroX for Struts, which debuted at the 2004 JavaOne conference. NitroX for JSP provides a broad array of advanced functionality that dramatically enhances the productivity of web application development and supports Eclipse 2.1 and 3.0, IBM WSAD 5.1.x, and IBM WSSD 5.1.x.

NitroX for JSP provides the following key benefits:

Advanced JSP Debugging

In addition to standard line stepping, NitroX also provides smart stepping into tag libraries and JSP includes for JBoss™, Tomcat, BEA WebLogic™ and IBM WebSphere™. NitroX adds a JSP variables view allowing developers to easily navigate variable data structures and set variable values as they debug their web applications.

Intelligent Context Sensitive JSP Source Editor

NitroX AppXRay brings a new level of code completion efficiency to development by understanding all the artifacts between the various layers of web applications.. The NitroX JSP release also adds code completion within Java Scriplets in a JSP.

Visual JSP Editor

NitroX provides unique (WYSIWYG) rendering and editing capabilities, with immediate view and access to JSP including pages and standard or custom tag libraries. JSP source and visual editors are fully synchronized with the original source and formatting preserved. Pages can be edited visually, as source, or simultaneously providing a unique way of understanding and developing JSP applications.

Developer Reaction
    "I've never been able to build a web application in such a short period of time. With NitroX, you have the opportunity to not only choose between source and visual editors for JSP pages but utilize both concurrently depending on your coding objective."
    - Andrew Timpone, Project Manager from FedEx Custom Critical

Pricing and Availability

NitroX for JSP, Eclipse Edition is now available and priced at $299. A new purchase includes a one-year subscription for product updates, bug fixes and includes major version upgrades of the product that become available during the term of the subscription. No version games, just pure productivity. For a preview of what is ahead on the NitroX roadmap, please visit: www.m7.com/roadmap.jsp. To purchase, please visit: www.m7.com or contact M7 Sales at sales at m7 dot com (1-866-770-9770).

Threaded Messages (13)

2. www.myeclipseide.com
  3. JSP, Struts, JSP debugging. Please compare them and post an objective opinion. Not a vendor based opinion. You will then understand the difference.

Or was this meant as a funny? I've looked at myeclipse and the JSP support doesn't compare but you can decide after viewing both. Both offer free trials that install easily enough.
  4. MyEclipseIDE has the right approach, and they make it cheap enough for developers to pay for it ($30). I am not certain why there such an emphasis on JSP debugging when you shouldn't have anything but presentation logic in your jsps anyway. (hardly something that needs heavy debugging). I am sure your product is very good, but its price point is a bit high for its feature set, heck for that price I can get almost get IntelliJ a pretty amazing and complete IDE.

just my 2 cents
    -jp
  5. compare features not products![ Go to top ]

Well,

Having some exposure to nitrox in its beta version i can honestly say it doesnt compare to either myeclipse or intellij for that matter. The nitrox product finally offers my team a consistent and fast way to develop and debug web user interfaces with drag and drop of controlls and it offers a migration path to JSF when we decide to go that way. I for one love it and we have it under consideration at this time. Currently we use IBM's wsad but the beta product of IBM on JSF does not even come close to what nitrox is doing today allready.

Nitrox is a product, in my opinion, wich enables us to get web interfaces up and running fast and in a consistent way in our web apps. Currently we are doing a lot of struts development, wich is a major pain and time consumer in our projects. We plan on moving to JSF asap when products are available to support this route, nitrox might just offer us a good path to this choice.

Well just my two cents anyway.

Greetings
    Leo de Blaauw
  6. thanks![ Go to top ]

Thank you for the kind words! We cover WSAD and WSSD as well. And when we come out with the JSF version, it will be at the same caliber of quality as NitroX for JSP and Struts, not juts a marketing checkbox. (BTW, featureset is telescoping so JSF will have Struts and JSP capabilities or JSF>Struts>JSP.)
    Well,Having some exposure to nitrox in its beta version i can honestly say it doesnt compare to either myeclipse or intellij for that matter. The nitrox product finally offers my team a consistent and fast way to develop and debug web user interfaces with drag and drop of controlls and it offers a migration path to JSF when we decide to go that way. I for one love it and we have it under consideration at this time. Currently we use IBM's wsad but the beta product of IBM on JSF does not even come close to what nitrox is doing today allready.Nitrox is a product, in my opinion, wich enables us to get web interfaces up and running fast and in a consistent way in our web apps. Currently we are doing a lot of struts development, wich is a major pain and time consumer in our projects. We plan on moving to JSF asap when products are available to support this route, nitrox might just offer us a good path to this choice.Well just my two cents anyway.GreetingsLeo de Blaauw
  7. compare features not products![ Go to top ]

so I went to check it out...
    do you have 2 different products? one for jsp and one for struts? (and soon to be one for JSF?)
    i thought it was one product, but can we assume that all products will work together? and do you have a feature matrix as to which one has which feature?
    when is JSF one coming out?
  8. different versions[ Go to top ]

There are different editions:
    NitroX for JSP (now available)
    NitroX for Struts (includes JSP & now available)
    NitroX for JSF (includes Struts and JSP and coming before year end)
    We provide updates with more functionality & fixes about every month or two.

Checkout the roadmap at: www.m7.com/roadmap.jsp
  9. "right approach" is subjective. If price your primary consideration, then that's right for you. Is the pricepoint high? That depends on how much you value your time. If the product makes you even 5% more efficient? (I think more, but you can decide) Or if you're project comes in a week early? Is it worth the price of the tool? If bugs are found earlier? If people come up to speed sooner? If the tool doesn't waste your time. IMO, the main cost to consider is the value of the developer's time. That, is worth much more. Have you tried NitroX?

JSP debugging focus? Well, it is a NitroX for *JSP* so of course. :)
    Sure, presentation logic should be clean, but reality proves that lots of folks use lots of Java scriplets within JSP which is why debugging is so important. It may not be the best way to do it, but its an important fact.

Yes, IntelliJ is a very nice IDE, no argument there. You mention they are "amazing" but their price price doesn't seem to bother you. (and it shouldn't. It takes real committed $$ to develop a good product) Eclipse 3 is pretty nice as well. (it's free for a reason, but I won't go into that) I contend that NitroX on Eclipse is pretty amazing and it enables Eclipse to offer functionality that IntelliJ simply does not provide.
  10. VERY RESOURCE CONSUMING
  11. Well,

I truly didnt experience any memory problems, but then again since we use
    IBM WSAD, our workstations allready have 1Gb of memory anyway... since without
    it WSAD is unusable.. ;-)

Greetz
    Leo
  12. That's funny[ Go to top ]

NitroX is a plugin to eclipse. We're actually pretty light. If you like Eclipse or WSAD/WSSD you'll be fine with NitroX. Memory is cheap. (dirt cheap) and if you have databases, servers, JVM, and are developing web apps, 1GB RAM is a good idea and not a big hit in the pocket book. Eclipse 3.0 did seem to grow a bit compared to 2.1. Maybe that's the problem?
    VERY RESOURCE CONSUMING
  13. no that´s not funny[ Go to top ]

I use a lot of tools and pluginns and have no trouble, very seldom I get out of memory errorsor get hanged my machine and with nitro it happenned three times so
    I uninstalled it and no problem again, well, but you work for that company, so...
  14. ok[ Go to top ]

So I guess humor just doesn't translate well on text. Seriously, if you're having problems with memory, I'm sorry to hear that. It just not a common comment regarding NitroX. We're based on eclipse and were very, very careful about memory management and speed. Yes, I work for M7. I'm sure you work for company B or perhaps consult. That doesn't necessarily mean you or I will practice to deceive anyone. We many not have as many customers as Microsoft, but we certainly have enough to statistically validate the fact that memory is not an issue. You never mentioned your sytems configuration. That might help in finding an answer.
    I use a lot of tools and pluginns and have no trouble, very seldom I get out of memory errorsor get hanged my machine and with nitro it happenned three times soI uninstalled it and no problem again, well, but you work for that company, so...