Sun, HP, and IBM fight it out at LinuxWorld

Discussions

News: Sun, HP, and IBM fight it out at LinuxWorld

1. Sun, HP, and IBM fight it out at LinuxWorld (2 messages)

The big enterprise vendors are all making plays at LinuxWorld this year. IBM will announce new resources to help ISVs and developers port Linux applications to the company's Power microprocessor architecture. HP will announce an expanded Solaris migration program, and Sun is demoing its SunRay technology for Linux. Sun now has released its C, C++ and Fortran development tools for Linux.

Read more:

Sun To Demo SunRay Linux at LinuxWorld

IBM, HP Map Linux Migration Plans
  2. Both Sun and IBM have "made plays" at Linux for some time. Sun really can't seem to make up their minds though, they've got the Java Desktop System (JDS) which is a sexy looking SuSE but rather out of date (compared to Redhat E3, Mandrake etc.). It's nice and I would have used it more if I'd got decent support and updates but very few people at Sun seem to know much about it which is a shame. Strangely they don't seem to run it on their own laptops which says a lot about their commitment.

Go to a Java or Sun show and you'll find Sun pushing Solaris 10 and their new AMD hardware not Linux, Sol10 is good stuff from what I've seen (as a Sun partner) but it's sad (as a Linux fan) that they're not giving Linux a real chance.

I've put Linux (RHE3) on almost all of our Sun boxes, all the Intel machines anyway. Solaris has it's good points but it's a real pain to administer, they still don't supply Gnu tar as standard and I've yet to see one delivered directly from Sun with a recent version of Java on it. Having said that I'm very much looking forward to trying out Solaris 10.

Anyway, back to the point; I will believe Sun and IBM are backing Linux when I see something more than words, a good distro, good support, good updates and commitment, until then it's about as real as a secure Microsoft OS. :-)

-John-
  3. "It's nice and I would have used it more if I'd got decent support and updates but very few people at Sun seem to know much about it which is a shame. Strangely they don't seem to run it on their own laptops which says a lot about their commitment."

There are a couple of thousand of us customer-facing technical folks in the US who run JDS as our desktop on laptops. That's a pretty good commitment.

What would you like to know?

John Clingan
    Sun Microsystems