Sun talks about buying Novell

Discussions

News: Sun talks about buying Novell

1. Sun talks about buying Novell (17 messages)

Sun has talked about buying Novell, which would give them a linux contender to fight IBM: SuSE Linux. But several factors could reduce the likelihood of such an acquisition. First, though Sun has cash and marketable securities of $7.61bn, Novell isn't cheap, with a market capitalisation of $2.64bn as of July 30.

Read more:

Sun wants to buy Novell

IBM is in a Pickle (Again)

Sun Claims It Is Considering Buying Novell

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Sun talks about buying Novell[ Go to top ]

Why can't IBM shift to a new distribution. IBM Support is what matters with the companies i guess.
  3. Unlikely[ Go to top ]

AFAIK, Novell has the majority of its shares, so Sun won't be able to "just buy them". Novell has to agree with it (which I really can't imagine).

Furthermore, Jonathan Schwartz' much hyped announcements have frequently been refuted some days later by Sun's CEO (e.g. opensourcing Solaris).

If someone buys Novell, it'll be IBM.
  4. Novel has Unix patents[ Go to top ]

I agree, IBM would be much more likely buyer of Novell.
    They have more cash, they have lawsuit against SCO, and they bet their business on Linux, so having one of the best and popular Linux distributions along with Unix patents won't hurt.
  5. Sun's tactic?[ Go to top ]

I think this is Sun's tactic to force IBM to rush and buy Novell, therefore counter balance the RedHat Linux's threat to Solaris. Sun is not interested in Linux OS at all. It is pushing Solaris x86.
  6. Sun's tactic?[ Go to top ]

Sun is not interested in Linux OS at all. It is pushing Solaris x86.
    Apparently the Java Deskop System is based on Suse Linux. So they probably do have an interest in Linux OS.
  7. Sun's tactic?[ Go to top ]

I agree with Martin. Sun has to acquire one of the linux distribution eventually. They will probably want to have some control over the underlying OS running the Project Looking Glass.
  8. re: Sun's tactic?[ Go to top ]

I think this is Sun's tactic to force IBM to rush and buy Novell, therefore counter balance the RedHat Linux's threat to Solaris. Sun is not interested in Linux OS at all. It is pushing Solaris x86.
    sun is clearly interested in linux. they have made at least two bids to aquire a linux distribution in the past, including ximian and suse. they have also made several (failed, for the most part) efforts to make a success of linux on sparc processors.
  9. Novell => Ximian => Mono?[ Go to top ]

hummm....
  10. Sun talks about buying Novell[ Go to top ]

Is 'owning' a linux distribution considered a powerful position? With the exception of a few non-GPL parts here and there (YaST?) it seems to me that the GPL was designed specifically to counter this kind of 'software ownership'.

It seems to me the revenue stream from linux is derived from consultancy and support (not unlike Mr Fleury's vision). Surely this means that Sun will have to put in a fairly substansial investment beyond Novell's price tag to make returns on this investment.

It certainly doesnt sound like a tool with which to fight IBM, I doubt the consultancy kings are hardly likely to be filled with fear at the prospect of Sun 'owning' the SuSE distribution.

How many linux distributions are profitable in themselves?
  11. Sun talks about buying Novell[ Go to top ]

Well, Redhat has barely eeked out 100MM annual revenue off of _the_ Linux brand (most people think that RedHat==Linux.) Microsoft makes more money than that in a mere three days just selling Windows. There's just not much money in selling and supporting free stuff. Some year, someone is going to become famous by pointing out that people choose free precisely because they don't want to pay for stuff, so it's not a good market to try to make lots of money in.

Novell / Suse / Ximian will be a "strategic" buy if anyone buys it at all .. there's no money to be made directly in that market.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  12. Sun talks about buying Novell[ Go to top ]

Well, Redhat has barely eeked out 100MM annual revenue off of _the_ Linux brand (most people think that RedHat==Linux.) Microsoft makes more money than that in a mere three days just selling Windows. There's just not much money in selling and supporting free stuff. Some year, someone is going to become famous by pointing out that people choose free precisely because they don't want to pay for stuff, so it's not a good market to try to make lots of money in.Novell / Suse / Ximian will be a "strategic" buy if anyone buys it at all .. there's no money to be made directly in that market.Peace,Cameron PurdyTangosol, Inc.Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
    I agree.
  13. Sun talks about buying Novell[ Go to top ]

Well, Redhat has barely eeked out 100MM annual revenue off of _the_ Linux brand (most people think that RedHat==Linux.) Microsoft makes more money than that in a mere three days just selling Windows. There's just not much money in selling and supporting free stuff. Some year, someone is going to become famous by pointing out that people choose free precisely because they don't want to pay for stuff, so it's not a good market to try to make lots of money in.Novell / Suse / Ximian will be a "strategic" buy if anyone buys it at all .. there's no money to be made directly in that market.Peace,Cameron PurdyTangosol, Inc.Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
    I agree.
    Sun is in such a fix right now. Serveside market is hit hard by hp, ibm and dell too, solaris is loosing edge fast, no software sales as such, sun desktop OS didnt take off that well - even though its so cheap, and now linux market is also kind of saturating with ibm, novell making first big moves and taking lead share. I think SUN was stupid and lazy and didnt change according to market conditions. They are slowly realizing that web services market was out of their hands, App server and IDE market was never theirs and now hardware is hit hard. ... Scott Mcnealy is playing too much golf :) and making money thru selling options. :)
  14. Sun talks about buying Novell[ Go to top ]

Well, Redhat has barely eeked out 100MM annual revenue off of _the_ Linux brand (most people think that RedHat==Linux.) Microsoft makes more money than that in a mere three days just selling Windows.
    Well I would point out that at least in Europe a lot of people think SuSE _is_ Linux :-). And in France, a lot of people think Mandrake _is_ Linux. And "real administrators" think debian _is_ Linux. Don't know about China and Brazil but they probably have their own stuff as well... Added up, one will probably reach 20 days or so of Microsoft revenue, which is not too bad really :-).
    There's just not much money in selling and supporting free stuff.
    It is astonishing that there is _any_ money in selling free stuff at all :-)
    Some year, someone is going to become famous by pointing out that people choose free precisely because they don't want to pay for stuff, so it's not a good market to try to make lots of money in.Novell / Suse / Ximian will be a "strategic" buy if anyone buys it at all .. there's no money to be made directly in that market.Peace,Cameron PurdyTangosol, Inc.Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
    Yes but there is _a lot of money_ in crashing the market by selling or giving away "free stuff". IBM does this with great virtue with Eclipse and to some extent with WebSphere.... One of the most interesting things to observe is the failure of "standard" vs. "free" (as in "free lunch") that can be observed by the failure of JDO and the subsequent success of Hibernate. Makes you think, doesn't it :-)
  15. Sun talks about buying Novell[ Go to top ]

Well I would point out that at least in Europe a lot of people think SuSE _is_ Linux :-). [..] And "real administrators" think debian _is_ Linux. [..]
    Exactly .. the same is true with people in the states that actually have to manage the servers. ;-)
    Yes but there is _a lot of money_ in crashing the market by selling or giving away "free stuff". IBM does this with great virtue with Eclipse and to some extent with WebSphere....
    IBM loses money on Eclipse and WebSphere. The question is, if they are losing money on the software, where are they picking up the profit? Is it the hardware, the companion services, the add-on management software, CICS contracts, or what? They aren't a charity.
    One of the most interesting things to observe is the failure of "standard" vs. "free" (as in "free lunch") that can be observed by the failure of JDO and the subsequent success of Hibernate. Makes you think, doesn't it :-)
    Hibernate is quite a success story, isn't it? But that's because it solved easy problems easily, and over time it is adapting to solve more complex ones. I'd call it a solid market-driven approach.

JDO is fairly successful in the market from what I've seen, but there is no doubt that Hibernate took off way faster than JDO did. Some competitive open source impls, the 2.0 spec and some of the big backing (Sun backing JDO, Versant buying JDO Genie, Kodo's federated data-source support and mainframe connectors, etc.) will make it a hard technology to ignore.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  16. Sun talks about buying Novell[ Go to top ]

Is 'owning' a linux distribution considered a powerful position? With the exception of a few non-GPL parts here and there (YaST?) it seems to me that the GPL was designed specifically to counter this kind of 'software ownership'.
    Not really. Paradoxally GPL does exactly the opposite - it protects well only the owner of the software.

For example SUN controls Open Office and offers Star Office which is build on top it. And SUN is the only company which can make extenstions which are
    not open source and make some money on them. So other companies do not have exactly the same chances to compete with SUN as SUN will gain directly an access to the source code which they produced.
    This situation does not happen when more liberal license are used (e.g BSD like license).

Michal
  17. Sun talks about buying Novell[ Go to top ]

Not really. Paradoxally GPL does exactly the opposite - it protects well only the owner of the software.For example SUN controls Open Office and offers Star Office which is build on top it. And SUN is the only company which can make extenstions which arenot open source and make some money on them.
    Yes, JAVA is 'free' in the same way by this analogy, you are 'free' to download source code for 'free', but it is readonly.
  18. Novell's J2EE application server[ Go to top ]

---

The next major release of Novell exteNd, planned for late 2005, will include JBoss Application Server 4.x in place of the Novell exteNd Application Server. Novell will continue to provide support for the Novell exteNd Application Server, as well as JBoss, IBM WebSphere*, BEA WebLogic* and Jakarta Tomcat*, but will no longer provide new releases of the exteNd Application Server.

---