Discussions

News: Aslak Hellesoy on Lightweight Containers and Agile Development

1. Aslak Hellesoy has been interviewed on the topics of lightweight containers, open source software, and more. As a committer on Pico/NanoContainer he discusses the philosophy, and some of the differences in comparison to Spring and Hivemind.

He also discusses unit testing, test driven development, and how Geronimo and PicoContainer can be used together.

Watch Aslek Hellesoy on Lighweight Containers and Agile Development

Threaded Messages (8)

2. POGOs[ Go to top ]

...which means that you can develop a component as a POGO and you can deploy it in Spring, you can deploy it in Pico, you can deploy it in Hivemind...
    Good to see that all lightweight containers support POGOs now. POJOs (Plain Old Java Objects) are already dead, you see, so we need to move on to the next big thing - which is POGOs (Plain Old Groovy Objects) ;-)

Juergen
  3. POGOs[ Go to top ]

The transcript is riddled with errors such as POGO's. Had to do a double take to make sure this wasn't some new thing... anyhow...

It's a shame that everyone has embraced the term "dependency injection" as I believe it doesn't fully capture the meaning of "inversion of control." Pico and Spring are less about giving objects the things they need to function, but more about providing a lightweight framework for implementing good design.
  4. POGOs[ Go to top ]

Pico and Spring are less about giving objects the things they need to function
    I thought Spring provides quite a lot of "hooks" eg. to Hibernate, IBatis, EJBs, JavaMail, JNDI etc. Or that isn't what you are refering to as "function".
    but more about providing a lightweight framework for implementing good design.
    I think that is the major advantage of a decent lightweight framework like Spring or am i missing the point.

:-) Thanks

regards
    tmjee
  5. you might think that everything is out of "inversional" control - that it is a huge "hypocricy", or even "best bob". ha ha ha.

i could go on like this for a while, but my wife is yelling that i should get off the laptop, stop writing all these .net and web services books and instead "bondle" more with our two sons. and the cats are haven't been fed!

guys - if you correct the transcript, it would be great if you kept a link to the original version. it was a really really fun read.

aslEk
  6. Speedy[ Go to top ]

..but my wife is yelling that i should get off the laptop, stop writing all these .net and web services books and instead "bondle" more with our two sons. and the cats are haven't been fed!
    So Aslak... You really speed things up... Two kids since you moved to the states... I'm impressed ;-)
  7. There is a tiny little library called Extreme, which is used for serialization between Java and XML
    Ok, so just one more correction (we could put all those here to keep intact the original version) : Extreme (may be too much XP stuff in your brain ;)) is XStream - http://xstream.codehaus.org.

Ya
  8. Great interview. Especially interesting was the Pico-Geronimo connection.
  9. Why did you have reprise Agile and all of its hackneyed nothingness!?????