Discussions

News: Sun Previews New Java Studio Tools

1. Sun Previews New Java Studio Tools (6 messages)

Sun announced updates to the company's developer platform and 64-bit computing at its Tech Days Conference. On show were Java Studio 10 (JS 10) and Java Studio Enterprise 7 (JSE 7), which the company said are available today. One of the biggest features of JS 10, outside of debugging and GUI improvements, is the 60 percent speed-up in compilation time with support for the C, C++ and FORTRAN programming languages.

Read more: Sun Previews New Java Studio Tools

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Sun Previews New Java Studio Tools[ Go to top ]

If Sun is trying to compete with .NET, why are they putting most of their tutorials under lock and key for developer network subscribers only? Many of those articles probably answer questions for potential studio users, these potential users are basically locked out from finding those answers.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the Sun's tools are going to be what keeps J2EE alive and I look forward to using them on upcoming projects (JSF included), but Sun needs to be more open with information.
  3. Sun Previews New Java Studio Tools[ Go to top ]

If Sun is trying to compete with .NET, why are they putting most of their tutorials under lock and key for developer network subscribers only?

yes - I find this very annoying, I have been trying the Studio Creator tool, and found this a real block to my interest in using it.

On the other matter - I'm not sure Sun is trying to compete with .Net - most people I know who use .Net are developing client-side Windows apps, which is a very minor market for Java. And, how many (non-Mono) .Net apps or IDEs are there for Solaris, Linux, HPUX..? I think Sun is planning tools to allow client-side .Net to work well with server side Java.
  4. Sun Previews New Java Studio Tools[ Go to top ]

I think Sun's main goal is not try to march againts .Net by providing JES7
    .Net has its own customer and user
    in mid-scale server side and certainly in client side.
    Sun try to compete with IBM in development tools and Application Server
    market.
    both Sun and IBM add some new features and enhance thier Development tools
    Sun with Java Enterprise Studio 7 with many new features like full uml 2 support ,
    Application Profiling ,Developer Collaboration ,built in Design pattern support ,....
    IBM with its Rational Application Developer with some new features like UML
    support,Code analyzer support , Process guidance using RUP
  5. Sun Previews New Java Studio Tools[ Go to top ]

If Sun is trying to compete with .NET, why are they putting most of their tutorials under lock and key for developer network subscribers only? Many of those articles probably answer questions for potential studio users, these potential users are basically locked out from finding those answers.Don't get me wrong, I think that the Sun's tools are going to be what keeps J2EE alive and I look forward to using them on upcoming projects (JSF included), but Sun needs to be more open with information.

I agree.. (can't imagine the thought process that led to that decision) but you can actually gain access to them by registering using the 30-day trial serial number from the Studio Creator.
  6. Sun Previews New Java Studio Tools[ Go to top ]

FYI, Java Studio Creator plus a 1 year subscription to the online content is available for ~$50.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0131499947/qid=1100272219/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-9533143-6053633?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

John Clingan
    Sun Microsystems
  7. Sun Previews New Java Studio Tools[ Go to top ]

Hi
    I can not find answers for the following question , does any one know about them?
    does studio 7 support WYSIWYG for developing JSP pages?
    Does it have some graphical GUI for developing Portlets?

will this version be available for evaluator for free?

thank you.