Discussions

News: Gluecode releases Gluecode JOE™ Java Application Platform

1. Gluecode Software announces the availability of Gluecode JOE™, a certified Java application platform based on open source.   Built on Apache-based technologies, Gluecode JOE relies on the Apache Geronimo application server as an integration point for mature, proven open source components. The result is an integrated, highly functional application platform that leverages the latest innovations from the open source community and simplifies application deployment and maintenance.

Gluecode JOE has integrated the following components:
      * Application server (Apache Geronimo)
      * Web server and servlet engine (Jetty)
      * JSP compiler (Jasper)
      * Relational database (Apache Derby)
      * JSR 168 portlet container (Apache Pluto)
      * Messaging (ActiveMQ)
      * User management services
      * Centralized  administration console
      * External JDBC drivers

The product is available in two flavors.  Gluecode JOE Standard Edition contains all of the above features and is backed by Gluecode support. BPM capabilities are expected later in Q4 and clustering support will be available in Q1 2005. The Apache licensed version of the platform, JOE Open Edition, will be available soon. Go to http://www.gluecode.com/website/community/downloads to download.

Threaded Messages (20)

2. Ah, the other show drops[ Go to top ]

Here was the plan posted on a web site by Core Developers Network, and I quote them:

"Think of Elba (jBoss code) as a latticework for Geronimo(GlueCode) --and as a shield to buffer the Geronimo (Bluecode) codebase and CVS repository from any "LGPL" (jBoss) code. As Geronimo(Bluecode) is built, its code will replace the code from Elba(jBoss)". Else where they state in email that they refer to the jBoss code.

How's Gair and buddies?
    http://www.gluecode.com/website/products/licensing.jsp

I wasn't paranoid after all. Keep ASF out it!

.V
  3. Ah, the other show drops[ Go to top ]

Here was the plan posted on a web site by Core Developers Network, and I quote them:"Think of Elba (jBoss code) as a latticework for Geronimo(GlueCode) --and as a shield to buffer the Geronimo (Bluecode) codebase and CVS repository from any "LGPL" (jBoss) code. As Geronimo(Bluecode) is built, its code will replace the code from Elba(jBoss)". Else where they state in email that they refer to the jBoss code. How's Gair and buddies?http://www.gluecode.com/website/products/licensing.jspI wasn't paranoid after all. Keep ASF out it!.V

You were the voice of reason sometimes, Vic. What hapened to you ? Bothered that others make money in the same field you are ?
  4. Ah, the other show drops[ Go to top ]

You were the voice of reason sometimes, Vic. What hapened to you ? Bothered that others make money in the same field you are ?

I may not always agree with Vic, but you have to admit that he stands up for his opinions and signs his own name to them, two things which generally contribute to the quality of the conversation, even when there is disagreement.

Vic's point is that Apache needs to hold itself to the highest standards. He feels that it hasn't lived up to that, because of the overlap between people who used to work on JBoss and now work on Geronimo, and the possibility that they took ideas (and code?) from JBoss.

I share his concern, but (having asked several of the Geronimo developers point-blank about this issue) I don't agree with his conclusion.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  5. I may not always agree with Vic, but you have to admit that he stands up for his opinions and signs his own name to them, two things which generally contribute to the quality of the conversation, even when there is disagreement.

Hackers can look up the name Cameron Purdy and learn what technologies are of interest to you and use this knowledge to more effectively hack into systems that you have worked on.
  6. You treacherous swine Dodger, you have revealed one of the deepest darkest secrets of the black hats. I hope Fagin gives you a proper kicking for this.
  7. useful information[ Go to top ]

You treacherous swine Dodger, you have revealed one of the deepest darkest secrets of the black hats. I hope Fagin gives you a proper kicking for this.

Chill out dude. If you write software and you consider this some 'deep dark secret' of hackers, you need to brush up on your knowledge of security. This is just basic stuff. The best protection for your systems is knowledge not ignorance.
  8. useful information[ Go to top ]

Chill out dude. If you write software and you consider this some 'deep dark secret' of hackers, you need to brush up on your knowledge of security. This is just basic stuff. The best protection for your systems is knowledge not ignorance.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=irony

Why isn't there a damn emoticon for this situation??
  9. Hey, artful dodger, you caught me ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  10. Eh, eh !

Cameron, are you a Peacemaker
    or a Kung Fu Master ?
  11. I completely agree with Vic. Its pretty obvious whats going on here.

Seems like the geronimo dev process is not as open as it should be and the dev is being partly hijacked by gluecode, good thing that geir is there to back up the pretenders ..
  12. geirl + buddies use cloak dagger technique[ Go to top ]

I completely agree with Vic. Its pretty obvious whats going on here.Seems like the geronimo dev process is not as open as it should be and the dev is being partly hijacked by gluecode, good thing that geir is there to back up the pretenders ..

Geir is being acused by Vic along with all the others.
  13. Hi James Morrison,
    I completely agree with Vic. Its pretty obvious whats going on here.

Judging by your posting history .. ;-)
    Seems like the geronimo dev process is not as open as it should be and the dev is being partly hijacked by gluecode

Gluecode is a company that is funding some of the Geronimo development. So are some major financial institutions and other big names in the J2EE industry (some directly, others indirectly.) Gluecode just happens to be the first out of the gate with a productization of the Geronimo efforts. They are doing other products as well, including portal-related software (which will be open sourced?) and clustered editions of their products (using Coherence?)

That's how Apache works, by the way. Companies, such as Oracle and JBoss and Borland and Gluecode, take Apache project code and stick it into their products. That "taking" is actually one of the goals of Apache. Hopefully some of the takers are also contributors or financial supporters. Gluecode just happens to be the biggest contributor for the Geronimo project.

So I guess the question is, what do you mean by hijacked? Are you worried that Gluecode employs the leading developers and controls the critical mass of knowledge for Geronimo? Is there some way you could explain your concern?

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  14. Cameron :
    They are doing other products as well, including portal-related software (which will be open sourced?) and clustered editions of their products (using Coherence?)

Both right :) We are contributing things back to lots of places, and yes, we'll be doing custering. I'm really excited about the last part.

<ob_product_plug>
    We think that people building non-J2EE applications need reliable clustering both in the web tier as well as for the full application, and we'll be making what we think is the best technology available as part of the JOE SE and JOE EE products. Maybe TSS can do reliability and performance benchmarks for clustering?
    </ob_product_plug>

Now, back to our regularly scheduled slime-fest...

geir
  15. Sorry about my post, i'll withdraw my comments as they are invalid / incorrect and show little technique.
  16. certified....how?!!![ Go to top ]

actually Geronimo is not yet certified...how this product is????? geronimo isn't even feature complete as it lack basic functionality of a j2EE as EJBQL and WS for EJB and it's JNDI server is not complete, and even the completed features is of alpha quality
    i like Geronimo a lot and i think it will be the best middleware ever but we have to market it when it is ready for general use in production enterprise environment
    joe
  17. certified....how?!!![ Go to top ]

actually Geronimo is not yet certified...how this product is????? geronimo isn't even feature complete as it lack basic functionality of a j2EE as EJBQL and WS for EJB and it's JNDI server is not complete, and even the completed features is of alpha qualityi like Geronimo a lot and i think it will be the best middleware ever but we have to market it when it is ready for general use in production enterprise environmentjoe

Sorry for the confusion. The Apache Geronimo project really consists of two parts. The first is something we sometimes refer to "Geronimo The Container", which is the core kernel of Geronimo, providing runtime, deployment and management features. This is a general purpose container that can be used to host and manage any kind of application services. The second part is the J2EE application stack, which is the part that is not complete, as you noted.

So Joe uses the core kernel of Geronimo, and adds the features listed. In terms of certification, the GA version will have passed certification for servlets, JSP, JMS, Portlets and JSR-88 deployment.

geir
  18. remember TCK[ Go to top ]

i think the TCK lic. agreement that u signed does not allow u to define parts that pass and that doesn't,it (as of my knowledge) sort of all or nothing so b carefull as the community really need this project to survive and the project really needs ur efforts , so do not make this small mistakes that may forbid u from completing the project
  19. remember TCK[ Go to top ]

i think the TCK lic. agreement that u signed does not allow u to define parts that pass and that doesn't,it (as of my knowledge) sort of all or nothing so b carefull as the community really need this project to survive and the project really needs ur efforts , so do not make this small mistakes that may forbid u from completing the project

The TCK comes with the reference implementation, and you can slot components in/out of that to verify they pass. SpiritSoft did this with it's JMS product, SpiritWave, so we can verify that it is J2EE compatible.

cheers,

Rob
  20. remember TCK[ Go to top ]

Joe :

This is a product of Gluecode Software Inc. It is based on open-source software from multiple sources, including the Apache Software Foundation, with the addition of code from Gluecode developers.

Gluecode has acquired licenses from Sun for the necessary TCKs for both Joe SE and Joe EE. The testing of these two products is independent and separate from any testing of the open-source projects that are contained in our products. There is *zero* overlap.

The technologies I noted are able to be legally, independently tested outside of the full J2EE stack, using test kits specifically designed for such useage, and that is what we are doing with Joe SE.

geir
  21. Kind of puzzling… From technology stand point BEA had it 4-5 years ago (and a lot more). JBoss and JOnAS have similar offerings absolutely free. Pramati, for example, offers commercial-grade quality stuff for a lot less then BEA or IBM.

So, I understand JOE has nothing to do with technology advancement (or improving the existing ones) but even as a repackaging exercise it looks rather out of place. SpikeSource approach seems to me more inline with what OSS can offer. Or… am I missing something obvious?

Regards,
    Nikita.