New Liberty Alliance president: Open specs work

Discussions

News: New Liberty Alliance president: Open specs work

1. New Liberty Alliance president: Open specs work (2 messages)

George Goodman, the new president of the Liberty Alliance Project's management board, has been interviewed in a timely manner since Microsoft Passport is going through an interesting phase. George answers questions on the goals of the alliance, where it is heading, and how Passport has affected it.
    EBay recently retired its support for Microsoft Passport, which represents a significant downsizing of the Passport network. Does this represent a victory for open standards and the industry-backed Liberty Alliance?

Goodman: I can't speak to a whole lot of the history through personal experience. I think that the rivalry between Passport and Liberty federation standards has certainly been kept warm by some of the technical media. Yes, there are developers who look at it that way, but the alliance is a lot more than just the single sign-on stuff and the alliance was working on standards; Passport was a service. Microsoft makes its own decisions with regard to businesses they'll pursue, and Passport is a business [for Microsoft].

In my view, Liberty, as well as Microsoft and others associated with Microsoft, and others that work with them in the WS-* efforts, clearly support identity management. I think there are plenty of opportunities to still converge and produce the number of different standards that need to be supported in the world. But I don't see any change in Microsoft's direction on Passport, as being a direct reflection, one way or the other, on Liberty.

Read more: New Liberty Alliance president: Open specs work

Threaded Messages (2)

2. Apache[ Go to top ]

I think as long as Apache or somone like that does not support an standard SoA authethication; it won't be standard.

.V
  3. Apache[ Go to top ]

I think as long as Apache or somone like that does not support an standard SoA authethication; it won't be standard..V

And I add... you can be open as you like, even public domain, but what really matters is if you are "in the wide"...