Appserverunit 0.9 - server side unit testing

Discussions

News: Appserverunit 0.9 - server side unit testing

1. Appserverunit 0.9 - server side unit testing (5 messages)

AppserverUnit is a toolset for packaging and running server side unit tests. Tests are written as JUnit test cases that lookup EJB components via standard JNDI calls and perform tests against them.
    AppserverUnit provides an ant task that takes an ear or ejb module plus the testcases as input and then generates a "testable" ear that additionally contains the necessary machinery to be able to invoke the tests remotely.

AppserverUnit also provides a range of client tools to invoke the server-side tests from the command line, from within an ant task, or through a simple web interface.

There is a certain amount of overlap between AppserverUnit and Cactus. However, AppserverUnit is focused on testing EJB components (local and remote) only, and hopefully more easy to use in that context.

AppserverUnit has been tested against JBoss and Sun Appserver 8.

Visit the AppServerUnit Home page

Threaded Messages (5)

2. See also:

http://sysunit.org/

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  3. sysunit?[ Go to top ]

Hi,

thanks for the link. From briefly skimming the site I dont think it solves the same problems, however. AppserverUnit is only concerned with J2EE appservers, and handles the details of deployment and remote test invocation. Sysunit does not mention J2EE anywhere, AFAICT.

regards,
    christian
  4. sysunit?[ Go to top ]

Christian,

I didn't mean to imply that one was a direct replacement to the other. Rob Davies had told me about Sysunit at the last JavaOne, and I just wanted you to know about it.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  5. Cactus[ Go to top ]

How does this differ to Cactus? - at first look it essms to offer similar functionality (the ability to test inside the container)
  6. Cactus[ Go to top ]

well, thats what I wrote in my announcement: there is some overlap. The main advantage for AppserverUnit should be that it does not try to cover every conceivable domain, but instead focuses on testing ejb components only. It does not require any pre-installed infrastructure on the server - the testing machinery is packed into the deployable ear by the provided ant task. All you have to do is deploy and then invoke the tests.
    AFAIK Cactus does not currently handle packaging of ear files.

christian