IBM releases Rational Application Developer v6.0 for Eclipse

Discussions

News: IBM releases Rational Application Developer v6.0 for Eclipse

1. The IBM Rational Application Developer for Linux trial download enables developers with diverse technical backgrounds, and even those unfamiliar with Java, to quickly build rich, data-driven applications. Features, benifits and support includes: Eclipse 3.0 Integration, UML Visual Editor, Tomcat Jakarta, Ant scripting, EJB universal test client, Integration with Rational ClearCase, Struts support, JSP and servlet wizards, JSF Component Layout, Swing GUI Construction, SWT GUI Construction, Visual portlet development, Portlet templates, SQLJ support, SQL query builder, Support for DB2, Informix, IBM Cloudscape, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle9i and Sybase and Web services and SOA development tools.

Read more: Trial: Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software V6.0

Threaded Messages (24)

2. Long live Eclipse![ Go to top ]

So now this proves beyond doubt that Eclipse is THE platform to build modern day IDEs/Application Developers.
  3. Long live Eclipse![ Go to top ]

The proof is in the using, not in the posting of a press release. This is an Eclipse plug-in, not part of the core Eclipse product. I found Rational Developer clunky, bloated and rather unintuitive. There are much better UML tool around.
  4. Long live Eclipse![ Go to top ]

UML tools like what...

It's a SET of plug-ins, uses the Eclipse platform and it requieres some time to learn like all other tools you can think about (except a hammer). I think it beats WSAD 5, wich was the starting point...
  5. Long live Eclipse![ Go to top ]

I found Rational Developer clunky, bloated and rather unintuitive. There are much better UML tool around.

Yes, but Rational Developer is also an enterprise IDE. Surely that's more useful than TogetherJ? How bad are the existing UML plugins for Eclipse? Do they have working J2EE stereotypes?
  6. Just so everybody gets it clear.

"Rational Application Developer" a.k.a. as RAD is the replacement for Websphere Application Studio Developer a.k.a. WSAD.

They've added some UML capability to the original offering and upgraded it to use Eclipse 3.0. As far as Rational and Eclipse integration, that has been available since Rational XDE.

Regards,

Carlos
  7. Hello everyone,

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to use a JBoss Application Server for my server runtime and EAR deployment within RAD 6.0 instead of using IBM's WebSphere Application Server. If I've read all the documention correctly in order to develop J2EE 1.4 apps and Web Services from within RAD 6.0 my server must be J2EE 1.4 compliant, which I believe JBoss AS 4.0 is. Does anyone have any experience using RAD 6.0 with JBoss?

Thanks in advance,

Larry
  8. Hi I installed the RAD 6.0 version in my PC.But i want to know what is the diffrence between Rational Application developer and Eclipse.

Shall i need to download Eclipse also for my daily work.
    And also i am having one more doubt.
    Actually i am having a plan to download WebSphere Studio application developer. But when i goto that site they are syaing in the IBM site that if you want to download the WebSPhere studio application developer , u can now download Rational Application developer6.0.
    Pls give me reply.

Thanks in advance
    prasad
  9. One in the same[ Go to top ]

RAD 6.0 is the replacement for Websphere Studio Application Developer. It is based on Eclipse 3.0 so there should be no reason to also install eclipse.
  10. As far as you know, you require a JBoss plugin, which, unfortunately , is not free. Its sold by Ensemble systems.
    This is the link:
    http://www.ensemble.com/products/deployment/jboss
  11. Re: How to deploy JBoss from IBM Rad 6[ Go to top ]

Sorry, I meant as far as I know (not as far as you know) :)
  12. will RAD6 support Eclipse 3.2 version?[ Go to top ]

Hi I installed RAD6.0 in my system but i want to upgrade the Eclipse version from 3.0 to 3.2 in RAD6. Can anyone tell me whether its possible to upgrade in RAD6? will RAD6 support Eclipse 3.2 version? Please reply at high priority Thanks in advance. sss
  13. Huh?[ Go to top ]

enables those unfamiliar with Java, to quickly build rich, data-driven applications

Does this strike anyone else as not such a great idea or is it just me?
  14. Suspicion[ Go to top ]

I do not want to be sarcastic - but it sounds like a 10 years old CASE sales pitch.
  15. Great idea?[ Go to top ]

"enables those unfamiliar with Java, to quickly build rich, data-driven applications"
    Does this strike anyone else as not such a great idea or is it just me?

I think it depends. I see your point, some Business Analyst point and clicking away developing an cute little report that brings the server to it's knees.

But, given a closely knit architecture, testing, and performance methodologies, this could be the Holy Grail. I doubt IBM's expensive offering has it right yet, but it can be a good idea. It all starts with architecture though!
  16. Great idea?[ Go to top ]

...cute little report...

It must be possible to make cute little reports indeed...during installing WSAD 6 you will see that (without asking) Crystal Reports (a directory with a bunch of windows dlls) is installed on your c: disk.

This must be one of the reasons why 6 takes so much more diskspace than 5.

Luc.
  17. We need one more layer[ Go to top ]

Whole problem with MDA and developing in CASE tool lies between Model and Code. Many people/comapanies ignores fact that for successful aplication of CASE tools in practice you need strong mapping layer between Model and Code. This mean if I have e.g. aggregation 1:N in CASE tool I need clear mapping of this structure to real DB and java representation. Drawing structures in UML similar to code is useles.
  18. IBM and MDA[ Go to top ]

You don't need to be worry :-) IBM people are very active in MDA area. If you check the Rational Architecture, you'll see that they know what they are doing. MDA is the basic of all what they've done in Rational/WebSphere products.

IMO, IBM with all their products (Rational, codename Atlantic) which are based on Eclipse will become a very promising all solutions in MDA.

Check out their articles:
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/r-over.html

Atlantic:
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/announce/oct-2004

Cheers,
    Lofi.
  19. IBM and MDA[ Go to top ]

If you check the Rational Architecture, you'll see that they know what they are doing. MDA is the basic of all what they've done in Rational/WebSphere products.IMO, IBM with all their products (Rational, codename Atlantic) which are based on Eclipse will become a very promising all solutions in MDA.

Ohmygod! Finally an MDA studio. Why isn't Rational Application Developer getting more press?! And such an interesting sounding article on the first page you gave: using SDO and JSF to accelerate XML generation.
  20. IBM and MDA[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    Ohmygod! Finally an MDA studio.
    </quote>

yeah, I also see that the Rational Architect supports transformation with stereotypes explicitly (UML2Java, UML2EJB, UML2C++...). I wonder what language they use to define those transformations (it seems to be extendable). I also cannot find whether you can export/import your model as a standard XMI file, which is very important to be able to work with other tools...

Cheers,
    Lofi.
  21. Horsefeathers[ Go to top ]

This is just another attempt by a traditional software company to exploit the open source market. I am skeptical of companies like Oracle, IBM, Novell, etc. trying to 'support' open source. What they are really doing is trying to leverage the contributions of open source developers to sell their over-priced, over-bloated shovelware. I find that whenever traditional companies make claims of supporting open source, what they are really doing is laying down frivolous dependencies within open source fabric to costly technologies that the open source consumer might better do without. At all times you can bet that the traditional software peddler is trying to rip your budget a new one with non-sequitter tools and gimicks that they can't sell in the old market. I find non-open source "complimentary" or "supplementary" products entirely unsavory infiltrators and corruptive in the open source market. I advice, stick with all-open-source frameworks and stop sponsoring the presence of exploitation through open source.
  22. Time for a change[ Go to top ]

IBM has in recent times improved its image quite a lot. It has backed Java quite well, bought Rational which was an astute move and generally seems to be trying to help the development community rather than shoveling bloatware opon it. However......if they really want to achieve quality products that us, as technologists, will heap praise opon then they have to completely change the status-quo of software development.

So many companies have horrendous layers of middle management seperating those that want things done (real business leaders) and those that do things (software developers). The BA army with their Bachelor of Anything degrees act as a complete hinderance to achieving software. There seems to be a common concensus in the industry that we need these people....why ? Brunel was quite good at constructing wonderful feats of engineering without the helping hand of an army of BAs. Do we really need someone sitting in the corner playing with MS-Project all day or acting as a communication stopper between the two groups that actually are trying to work in the interests of a business.

Seriously, its time the industry woke up, rid itself of these people and start implementing better business communication mechanisms so that those that do things can manage the expectancy of those that want things done.

By the way, this is a rant :P

Cheers, Shaun.
  23. Time for a change[ Go to top ]

However......if they really want to achieve quality products that us, as technologists, will heap praise opon then they have to completely change the status-quo of software development.

Presumably MDA changes the status quo.
  24. And mostly it is a class digram and a sequence diagram..I draw it on a sheet of A4 size paper code and throw it out.
    If anybody is seriously into XP/agile programming you will use Hands 2.0 to draw UML:)
    CASE tools are like these are for people who are afraid of coding, IMO
  25. I like RAD 6 for a couple of reasons. I've used it for a little while today and decided it's going to stay.

1 - It seems snappier than WSED 5.1.2
    2 - Integrated portal support
    3 - WebSphere 6 support in the box

I would like to see a matrix of the current development tools offered by IBM and their feature sets. It would be easier to convince management to trade some of those old WSED licenses for RAD.

E.