RUNA WFE 1.0 released

Discussions

News: RUNA WFE 1.0 released

1. RUNA WFE 1.0 released (23 messages)

RUNA WFE has been released. RUNA WFE is an open source workflow environment based on JBoss' JBPM engine. Including a web front end, it is a cross-platform end user solution for business process management.

Features:
    • Web interface containing work list handler, process monitor and form player
    • Bots for automated business processes steps
    • Role-based task assignment
    • Security system with LDAP/MS Active Directory support
    • Integration with all SQL database management systems
    • Localization to English, French,German and Russian
    An online demo is also offered.

Threaded Messages (23)

2. RUNA WFE 1.0 released[ Go to top ]

On which version of jBpm is it based ?

John Mettraux
    http://www.openwfe.org
  3. JBPM version[ Go to top ]

It is based on JBPM 2.0

Regards,
    Vitaliy Semochkin
    RUNA WFE
  4. What about JBPM 3.0[ Go to top ]

JBPM 3.0 is already out. What are your plans for supporting that.
  5. What about JBPM 3.0[ Go to top ]

We consider switching to JBOSS JBPM 3.0
    I hope the switch will be easy ;-)

Regards,
    Vitaliy Semochkin
    RUNA WFE
  6. Corss-Platform?[ Go to top ]

So what exactly is meant by cross-platform? I consider the platform to be the entire stack.. Primary components of this are the OS, the App Server and the Database.
  7. Corss-Platform?[ Go to top ]

So what exactly is meant by cross-platform?
    Cross-platform means that you can run application on several OS platforms
    RUNA WFE was tested on Debain 3.0/3.1, Fedora 3/4, Solaris 10, OpenSolaris, Windows 2000/XP/2003

>Primary components of this are the OS, the App Server and the Database.
    RUNA WFE persistent layer based on hibernate (i.e it could work with almost any SQL server that supports jdbc)
    We tested RUNA WFE on hsql, mysql 4.1, MS SQL 2000
    The switching between RDBMS is as easy as changing one value in property file.

Regargs,
    Vitaliy Semochkin
    RUNA WFE
  8. License?[ Go to top ]

and what about this idea to merge with jBPM? Or, at least, to change license to LGPL - I'm afraid I won't never use this great piece of software if I have to release under the GPL all runa based applications I make for my employer customers.
  9. License?[ Go to top ]

and what about this idea to merge with jBPM?
    This process has started more than a mounth ago.

>under the GPL all runa based applications I make for my employer customers.
    Can you tell us a bit more details, please?

GPL isn't that when you deal with java ;-)
  10. GPL + Java[ Go to top ]

Actually, the FSF / GPL folks disagree--

from the horses mouth:
    A consequence is that if you choose to use GPL'd Perl modules or Java classes in your program, you must release the program in a GPL-compatible way, regardless of the license used in the Perl or Java interpreter that the combined Perl or Java program will run on.
    ( From the GPL FAQ )

Many people disagree with the FSF interpretation, however from a commercial standpoint, without specific exception from the copyright holder, I've got to be concerned with the above. In house, I can use LGPL, BSD, Apache, and many others, but cannot use anything tainted with the GPL.

rob.
  11. GPL + Java[ Go to top ]

Many people disagree with the FSF interpretation, however from a commercial standpoint, without specific exception from the copyright holder, I've got to be concerned with the above. In house, I can use LGPL, BSD, Apache, and many others, but cannot use anything tainted with the GPL.

I work in a large corporation, and things are exactly like that. In all commercial context GPL is evil. LGPL protects your code and is widely accepted.
  12. GPL + Java[ Go to top ]

The idea of GPL is "give and ye shall receive".
    It's obvios that people like to receive but not to give ;-)
  13. GPL + Java[ Go to top ]

Not true in all (or even many) cases-- internally we're very much able to contribute to open source projects, and have in fact, provided code / docs / help / money back to the various projects we've used.

Example: We had a need for generating PDFs within our app. The data on the various PDF will be owned by the customer, and we let the customer define what elements to put on the PDF. This, however, is but one (small) portion of our overall ERP system consisting of some several million lines of code. Using a GPL library would have required us to GPL all of this code. Instead, we've used an LGPLed or BSD project, and provided feedback to the developers in the form of bug reports, code, documentation, assistance to others using the same library, as well as consulting/training contracts for some of the developers.

The idea of the GPL is not "give and ye shall receive", but rather: "Code should always be Free". This is an important distinction-- but one that does have the net effect of tending to not fit with commercial concerns, especially since in many cases a given product may not even be completely owned by a given concern (due to the use of other, closed source libraries).

Really, it's not a big deal-- so far anything I've needed that was available GPL, I've had very little problem finding a suitable substitute using a different library.

In any case, I was mearly trying to point out that I thought that you were operating on a misconception with regard to Java and the GPL. It's obvious you know exactly what you're doing, although I'm still not sure what you meant by "GPL isn't that when you deal with java".

To each his own.
  14. GPL + Java[ Go to top ]

re: I'm still not sure what you meant by "GPL isn't that when you deal with java.

Let me explain. I see two solutions.
    1. You could write facade to GPL code you use.

2. GPL doesn't force you to publish all code you wrote.
    It says that if someone ask for it, you must show the code and provide a build tool for it. If you want none to use your code there are a lot for means to make your code hard to compile. Hard to read and hard to understand. Use your favorite obfuscator ;-)

PS We understand that GPL isn't best license for customers and we are working on this problem. I said before several components are ready do be donated to JBOSS-JBPM.
  15. 2. GPL doesn't force you to publish all code you wrote.It says that if someone ask for it, you must show the code and provide a build tool for it. If you want none to use your code there are a lot for means to make your code hard to compile. Hard to read and hard to understand. Use your favorite obfuscator
    I think you have misunderstood the GPL:

<quote>The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it.</quote>

You can not obfuscate source code that you are distributing to fulfill the requirements of the GPL.

-Magnus
  16. I think you have misunderstood the The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it.You can not obfuscate source code that you are distributing to fulfill the requirements of the GPL.-Magnus

According to GPL I must provide code I use in my application.
    If I use check bugs plug-in its ok, right?
    Same true for obfuscation.
    If I use obfuscated version of class in my application I must provide its code.
  17. I don't want to continue GPL discussion here.
    Let’s leave it lawyers.

I'd like to see comments on release.
    Tell us how good or bad work we've done.

I know guys from Shark, Bonita, Open WFE, WFM OPEN and JBOSS JBPM reading it.
    Their comments are highly appreciated.
  18. Ok, so no more GPL rants...

RUNA WFE definitively looks nice.

I wish I had the time to make our OpenWFE webclient so neat looking.

Maybe in the medium term, workflow engines will be able to share worklist clients like RUNA through a conventional API (I can't remember the name/number the Wfmc gave for this particular interface). It's maybe worth setting up a little JSR for it.

Well done guys.

John Mettraux
    http://www.openwfe.org
  19. Demo error[ Go to top ]

When I try to run the binary distribution but I have this errror after I login :

2005-07-19 10:31:21,603 ERROR [org.jboss.web.localhost.Engine] ApplicationDispatcher[/wfe] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
    java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name tab, locale pt_BR
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:837)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:806)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:577)
    at ru.runa.commons.util.ResourceCommons.readProperty(ResourceCommons.java:41)
    at ru.runa.common.web.tag.TabHeaderResource.getHeaderName(TabHeaderResource.java:44)
    at ru.runa.common.web.tag.TabHeaderTag.initHeaders(TabHeaderTag.java:80)
    at ru.runa.common.web.tag.TabHeaderTag.doStartTag(TabHeaderTag.java:86)
    at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.af.main_005flayout_jsp._jspx_meth_af_tabHeader_0(main_005flayout_jsp.java:282)
    at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.af.main_005flayout_jsp._jspService(main_005flayout_jsp.java:166)
    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)

Looks like it does not handle my locale pt_BR (portuguese, Brazil) right. It should have a default locale.
  20. Demo error[ Go to top ]

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=426100
  21. http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=426100

The process definition you wrote contains errors.

Please check the link you provided and find out the solution.
    By the way. The answer was sent to you on previous week.
    ;-)
  22. Demo error[ Go to top ]

Sorry, we didn't port our product to Portuguese yet ;-)
    Set you default language to English, German, French or Russian and login.

PS. If you think you found a bug please submit it here
  23. Demo error[ Go to top ]

Sorry, we didn't port our product to Portuguese yet ;-)Set you default language to English, German, French or Russian and login.PS. If you think you found a bug please submit it here

Ok, I understand you had not a portuguese port to it. But I think on this case it should have a default (english) and not give a runtime error.
    I will post this on SF.
    What are the files I must create/update to port it to portuguese ? Maybe I can do it.
  24. Localization[ Go to top ]

Ok, I understand you had not a portuguese port to it. But I think on this case it should have a default (english) and not give a runtime error.
    To say the truth we already fixed it (try to enter online demo)
    Fixed code will appear at source forge very soon.

What are the files I must create/update to port it to portuguese ? Maybe I can do it.
    Your help will be highly appreciated.
    Lets continue this discussion at sf.net
    forum

If you want a quick solution feel free to ask me on ICQ