Getting one Unix Server to pull files from another Unix Server

Discussions

XML & Web services: Getting one Unix Server to pull files from another Unix Server

1. Hello,

I'm a total newbie to Java in need of help understanding how to get one Unix server to pull files from another Unix server in a secure manner over the internet.

I'm proficient in PERL and passable in XML. I have root access to both Redhat LINUX servers - one locally and one remote. I'd like to active a job every night from my local server to look at a specific directory on the remote server and pull all files in that directory and place them in a specified directory on the local server.

It doesn't matter to me if the local server pulls the files as desribed above or if the remote server pushes the files to the local server.

The transaction must use encryption of some sort.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to set-up and build such a job???

Thanks,
    Cyril
  2. try reading up on 'at' jobs or 'cron' jobs, they can be used to run scheduled jobs, what you need to do then is to write a perl/shell script (or any other program for that matter), to do what you want (pull/push files (I'm sure you know ftp can be used for that)).

Hope this helps.

Rakesh.
  3. Try rsync.

From the man page:

"The rsync remote-update protocol allows rsync to transfer just the differences between two sets of files across the network connection, using an efficient checksum-search algorithm..."

Sigmund