Celtix, ObjectWeb's open source ESB, hits 1.0

Discussions

News: Celtix, ObjectWeb's open source ESB, hits 1.0

1. ObjectWeb has announced that Celtix, their open-source ESB based on code donated from Iona, has reached release status. Celtix supports JAX-WS 2.0, multiple messaging transports, support for scripting languages (JavaScript and ECMAScript) and compliance with the JBI and SCA standards.

What are your experiences with ESBs, especially Celtix or Artix? (Atix is the product most closely related to Celtix.) Do you see yourself using an ESB in the near future, whether directly or indirectly?

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Celtix supports JAX-WS 2.0, multiple messaging transports, support for scripting languages (JavaScript and ECMAScript) and compliance with the JBI and SCA standards.

I think this is slightly misleading with regard to SCA.

My understanding was that ObjectWeb were not going go for a full SCA implementation (for the time being, at least) but just aiming for integration with an open source implementation of SCA/SDO (Tuscany, which is far from being ready, and will be more of a reference implementation than anything else).

In fact, 1.0 BETA has a partial integration with the partial Tuscany SCA/SDO implementation.

Otherwise, I'd like to be the first to say well done to ObjectWeb and IONA on a fine effort.

PJ Murray, CodeFutures Software
    Data Access Objects and Service Data Objects
  3. (e)Mule still the best option[ Go to top ]

I still think that Mule is the best option when going to implement an ESB environment.

http://mule.codehaus.org
  4. That's ok - but what are the real criterions to favour (e)Mule and not e.g. Celtix, ServiceMix, ... ?
    I still think that Mule is the best option when going to implement an ESB environment.http://mule.codehaus.org
  5. That's ok - but what are the real criterions to favour (e)Mule and not e.g. Celtix, ServiceMix, ... ?

Because, maybe, Celtrix supports only these two Transports:
    - JMS
    - HTTPS

Details on: http://celtix.objectweb.org/docs/faq/basic.html#5.What%20transports%20does%20Celtix%20support_|outline

While Mule supports all these:
    - AS400 DQ Provider
    - Ejb Provider
    - Email Provider
    - File Provider
    - Ftp Provider
    - Http Provider
    - Imap Provider
    - Jdbc Provider
    - Jms Provider
    - Multicast Provider
    - Pop3 Provider
    - Quartz Provider
    - Rmi Provider
    - Servlet Provider
    - Soap Provider
    - Ssl Provider
    - Stream Provider
    - Tcp Provider
    - Udp Provider
    - Vfs Provider
    - Vm Provider
    - WSDL Provider
    - Xmpp Provider

Details on: http://mule.codehaus.org/Transports+Guide

And probably many other features I hadn't time to look at.

m2c
  6. I am not sure i understand the nature of this message.
    I think Celtix, Mule, ServiceMix all the ESB's have critical capabilities of their own which can complement each other in a bigger SOA picture.

On the comment of transports, Celtix currently has two transports that we call as transports i.e JMS and HTTP and it comes with a pluggable transport architecture for additional transports to be implemented/leveraged very quickly.
    I can certainly see Celtix leveraging some of the transports packages that Mule has going forward.

That all said, the list you posted for Mule doesnt look to me like transport list atleast some of them. For example, I am not sure what a WSDLProvider is? Are you talking about how many providers that Mule has? or Are you talking about number of transports that Mule support. To me they are different questions and will probably have different answers. May we need to start a new thread on what transport means in an ESB :)
  7. Apache Tuscany[ Go to top ]

Hi,

I personally disagree with talking that emule is a better esb. At this moment it is used by more developers than celtix. But take a look at Celtixs support for running inside Apache Tuscany (http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/) It provides native support for Java & Cpp and mule don't :_)) And finally Eclipse SOA Tools project has the same architecture that is used und provide by Tuscany ...

Maciej Andreas Bednarz
    Germany Hannover
    http://www.literadix.de
  8. Apache Tuscany[ Go to top ]

Really, not if its in incubation stage. Personally, I still prefer Mule for the following reason: it is not JBI centric, meaning, you can always adapt and go into JBI, but you don't have to. Celtix, ServiceMix, and others I'm sure will continue to mature, and eventually that will be good for the community have several options, but in general I'm leary of projects that are still baking.
  9. How is Celtix providing/implementing the JBI-Standard. I couldn't found any reference in the 1.0 announcement on the Celtix-Website.

Any experiences or infos over/with this special theme ?

-roland
  10. How is Celtix providing/implementing the JBI-Standard. I couldn't found any reference in the 1.0 announcement on the Celtix-Website.Any experiences or infos over/with this special theme ?-roland

The JBI support in Celtix is a work in progress at the moment. The goal is to provide a service engine to which services written to the JAX-WS api can be deployed. The Petals project is working on a binding component that will allow Celtix to provide pluggable transports to their JBI container.

hth
    Conrad
  11. Thanks for this detailled Information. The Petal Project is working actually in the JBI-Part (Java Business Integration) for JOnAS, Celtix,...

Apache ServiceMix it's another Open Source Project with an advanced ESB-Solution, providing today already a functionally JBI-Part. ServiceMix were already integrated in JOnAS.

I think that exists good relations between this two different project teams. How are the potentialities for an development/interchange of common applicable code between ServiceMix/Petal and visaverse ?

-roland

The JBI support in Celtix is a work in progress at the moment. The goal is to provide a service engine to which services written to the JAX-WS api can be deployed. The Petals project is working on a binding component that will allow Celtix to provide pluggable transports to their JBI container.hthConrad
  12. Thanks for this detailled Information. The Petal Project is working actually in the JBI-Part (Java Business Integration) for JOnAS, Celtix,... Apache ServiceMix it's another Open Source Project with an advanced ESB-Solution, providing today already a functionally JBI-Part. ServiceMix were already integrated in JOnAS.I think that exists good relations between this two different project teams. How are the potentialities for an development/interchange of common applicable code between ServiceMix/Petal and visaverse ?-roland

Unfortunately the Petals code is *GPL so Apache projects can't use it; so we can't reuse any Petals code. Though the Petals team are more than welcome to use any Apache ServiceMix code they want to such as the existing service engines already for JSR 181, JAX-WS and SCA or the Enterprise Application Integration patterns components etc.

James
    LogicBlaze
    Fuse: the Open Source SOA runtime
  13. Just want to clarify something on the Celtix and JBI standard. Celtix doesnt intend to implement JBI standard but instead will be leveraging one of the exising JBI implementations like ServiceMix, Petals, OpenESB. ServiceMix is Apache license and is very mature, Petals is Objectweb based on LGPL just released a milestone, OpenESB its Sun's reference implementation so i am not sure if its really a great option.

Thanks,
    Adi Sakala
  14. I have already working with ServiceMix, but for the moment I know nothing over Petals and have never really working with OpenESB (we have used ServiceMix for the Integration of Sun's Enterprise Server with ESBs over JCA).

For me personally, is ServiceMix a very stable solution - providing great extensions and most of the real necessary features for an ESB / JBI-Container. I'am convinced that all today missing things, will come as goes time ...

In my opinion its for deployments with commercial destinations very important, that ServiceMix is based too on the favorable Apache License Model.

-roland

----
    I hope that this message is coming on to this destinated thread. Two other messages which I have posted this morning, are actually flying in the air (maybe was the cause some trouble by theserverside's server this morning ... ).
    ----

Just want to clarify something on the Celtix and JBI standard. Celtix doesnt intend to implement JBI standard but instead will be leveraging one of the exising JBI implementations like ServiceMix, Petals, OpenESB. ServiceMix is Apache license and is very mature, Petals is Objectweb based on LGPL just released a milestone, OpenESB its Sun's reference implementation so i am not sure if its really a great option.Thanks,Adi Sakala
  15. Hello[ Go to top ]

I am sure that once the Celtix, the open-source ESB from ObjectWeb is released it is going to be a big competition to the other players in the field!! With its many convenient features I think it is the perfect answer to a lot of hassles we are having with some of the other open-source ESBs!!